Don't know what to think

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillyrose33, Aug 20, 2006.

1. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

Well,I went to a pain management doctor and had an EMG done and he said he saw no nerve damage and that my pain is coming from low back pain associated with lumbar facet arthitis and no mention of Fibromyalgia and did not respond when I mentioned it.
    He didn't even request a copy of the findings on my MRI before doing the test. My doctor has had the results since last Monday sitting on her desk and when I called they told me she hasn't had time to look at them and she will call me as soon as she had.
    I am about ready to scream...I just wish my doctors would work together and give me some anwsers that make since. He saw no nerve damage but why are my toes numb? I asked him the same question and he asked me if I had diabeties and I said no then he said well, muscles sometimes can cause nerve damage and that is it. He started talking about nerve blocks and Radiofreqiency Ablation, where they go in and diliver electormagnetic stimulation to the nerve. Why in God's name would he want to do that if I don't have nerve damage. Did I miss something? He also said walking and theraphy would not do me any good.
    I just don't know what to do anymore. I am tired of tying to stay on top of things because my doctors want. I am so confused.
    Thanks for letting me rant on.
    lillyrose
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2006]
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Lilyrose:

Not sure if I understand all your issues, but about nerve "pain" I can try to help. If the EMG shows that you do not have any nerve damage, that is actually a good sign. When your doctor talked about nerve blocks that probably means that your nerve is damaged (nerves do not regenerate) but it could be impinged, or stuck getting some kind of wrong electrical signal...which would make you feel pain. The ablation is a method that is used to interupt the electical signals from the nerve to your brain. It is also used on the heart muscle to correct atrial fibrillation.

The idea that you have lumbar pain due to something wrong is fine. Stating you have facet arthritis, based on x-rays and emgs is probably not the entire picture. You really need this pain management doctor to see your MRI results. Not investigating what it is, what is causing it, and if your FMS is making it worse is also not acceptable. Does this doctor accept FMS as a disease and treat patients with it? What else does this pain management doctor suggest that you do? Is he addressing your pain? Is he giving you sufficient pain medication?

Also, what doctor has had results of your MRI since May without discussing them with you. That is unacceptable. You need to call that doctor and request an appointment to discuss the results. If this is not possible, I suggest you find another doctor, make an appointment, go and pick up the MRI results and take them to the new doctor.

Sorry if I do not have all the facts, but wanted to give you some of the info that I have learned over the years.

Hope that helps some.

Ingrid
  3. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

Kirschbaum and fight , thanks for your reply. I am sorry things sounded so helter skelter but I am so upset and I am not good about writing my feelings.
    I am setting up an appointment with my doctor this week and find out what is going on.
    I was really confused about what the pain doctor said and he really didn't want to talk about Fibromyalgia so, I don't really know how he feels about it but it tells me he is not for me.
    I have a lot of thinking to do and I hate looking for new doctors but you have to do what you have to do.
    Best to you both.

lillyrose
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I have problems with my feet either hurting or going numb, and I have finally chalked it all up to having FMS. I went to a podiatrist for at least 6 months and it didn't help one bit!

I actually have more pain in my feet than numbness, but what I have found to be most effective for nerve type pain is neurontin. It has helped the most with my foot pain.

Someone posted about a supplement, I think pantothenic acid, that helps with foot pain, not sure if it would help with numbness but worth investigating.

And, I can't walk anymore because of the foot pain. Just makes it worse. I can do some stationary biking and that doesn't increase my foot pain.

I agree with previous poster in that you need to find another Dr. This one just doesn't seem to have any answers that make any sense!

Take care, Sally