Don't try to teach a PIG to sing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rfg958, Mar 15, 2003.

1. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

Don't try to teach a pig to sing 03/15/03 08:57 AM

Months ago on another fms site I posted my thinking about the little motto that goes something like "don't try to teach a pig to sing, you'll just waste your time and frustrate the pig." There was more to it and I will try to find it and re-post. But you get it eh? Some people don't want to listen to anyone but themselves and certainly not us. They are like pigs. rfg958 Rita from South Dakota

I posted this in response to one of our member's frustration when a "so-called" friend and "so-called" KIND, SPIRITUAL, person refused to listen and insisted that all that was needed was a change of attitute. I think it may be worth this second post. Now, off I go to find my more expanded comments on this subject. Later.
  2. rfg958

rfg958 New Member

Originally written January 13, 2001
    Subject: Teaching pigs to sing

As a singer and a teacher of singers I have always been intrigued by the motto that goes something like this: "Don't try to teach a pig to sing, you'll waste your energy and frustrate the pig." I never knew for certain what it implied. Recently I have been thinking it helps me relate to people who do not want to hear about our health problems, fibromyalgia, hypoglycemia or about the guai protocol. Many of them are in denial or are too inexperienced or self absorbed. They may be family, health "professionals" (not the good ones) or friends (not the good ones). One night at 2 a.m. trying to get back to sleep this song arranged itself in my head. Sing to the tune of "Twinkle, twinkle little star"

Don't try-to teach a pig to sing! Don't try-to teach-a pig anything.
    You'll just waste your time, real BIG. And you'll sure frustrate the pig.
    Don't try-to teach a pig to sing! Don't try-to teach-a pig anything.

The point I am making is that I want to save my precious resources of energy and patience by not trying to get understanding or support from people who are unable to give them. All the best, rfg, Rita F.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many people live their lives in fear and denial and simply are not ready to hear anything which does not fit into their version of reality. It is an exercise in frustration to even try to discuss things with people who are not willing to keep an open mind. This is especially true in politics and religion and I think that is why people always shy away from these topics. Perhaps the same is true in illness and treatment.

People invest so much of their own egos in their belief systems that they will defend the indefensible to their deaths. Human nature.

We can only control ourselves, so I try to concentrate on that. Whenever I have strayed from this position, I get frustrated and realize it is not possible to make the blind see. They are blind by choice.

Love, Mikie