dont understand epidural shot.WHere is the shot given?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by willruthie1965, Aug 10, 2008.

1. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I don't understand if the shot is given in different place in your back. I thought I was getting in near my neck but I dont think that is where the epiduraal space is. Please someone help me to understand. Thanks Ruthie
  2. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

A&P please don't fail me....

There are three layers of membranes that surround the brain (meninges) and surround the spinal cord as well. Your spinal cord/column extends all the way down your back to your tail bone.

The epidural space is located in the spinal canal (between the canal and the DURA layer)and that is where all of your nerves and blood vessels are housed as well. It is in this space at what ever level that pain relief is needed that the physician will inject the medication.

To the best of my knowledge, with the exception of caudal(tail bone) injections, a fluroscope is needed to make sure that proper placement of the needle and medication is administered.

They will give you some sort of medication via either IV and or a local depending on the injection site to help numb the area before they inject the steroids into the epidural space.

You could probably Google "Epidural Injections" and find all the correct info you are seeking.

I hope this helps. I have only had the caudal injections thus far, but will be discussing getting them in my neck come this Dec., when my Medicare kicks in.

I do get trigger point injections monthly and they help tremendously. I have had them in my neck, shoulders, arms and up and down my back, the only problem is that they only last a few days to a week or two. But, boy do I feel better after getting them.

Good luck and God Bless.

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2008]