Dont want to whine but need help please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blondie45, Jul 17, 2006.

1. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I don't want to be negative so much but how do you guys keep going on in all of this pain. I have had fibro 2 years now and it seems to be getting worse and worse right now.
  2. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

Try to keep yourself busy, take up a hobby if you don't have one already. I don't know if you take any medicine, but I take elavil at night, it helps me sleep, plus reduces pain a little bit. Rest when you need to, just do a little bit at a time. I know driving is very difficult, but if you have cruise control use it. I was diagnosed in 2004, but I had symptoms before that time for quite awhile. I was just hoping they would go away, but they didn't. So, I just learned to deal with it. The heat and humidity also irritate the condition.

Take Care and Good Luck!!! SB
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My FM really kicked in two years ago. I think it has gotten worse as well. Two things keep me going. I love my job which is good because there won't be any retirement for me until 65.

The second thing(and third I suppose) is learning and acceptance. I do what I can to investigate remedies. Slowly I'm startling to learn what helps and what hinders me. I'm really having to change myself to accept this new reality. I won't ever be the person I was before, but I can be an even better person now if I choose.

Keep your chin up....find the positives in your life. For me it's my family, my hobbies which I can still do. (I love fishing) I can still garden in small doses and I force myself to walk every day even if I have to take a pain pill to do it. That walk helps me both mentally and physically.

Regards,

Eileen

4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just posted a thread also. Mine might sound like whinging but I need some advise and so do you.

Is it pain only or do you have other problems also?
  5. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Yes it is mostly the pain with no rhyme or reason to it. I know the heat is definitely making it worse lately. I take my tramadol 3 times a day, sometimes it helps alot and sometimes not at all. The mornings are the hardest after I get up and after I take my shower I am soooo hot. I know I shouldn't take such a hot shower but as most fibro people know most of us can't stand either hot or cold at any given time. I seem to have a constant headache that is dull sometimes and at other times worse. I always seem to be in the fibro fog. I also have IBS and interstitial cystitis. I just don't know what to try anymore to get relief. Thanks for the suggestions so far though, I do appreciate them.
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Blondie:

I get days like that and then again: some times are better.
    I do think weather plays a part in it.

Adjustments have to be made day to day.

Feel better.

nyrofan
  7. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,

Your not being negative we all wonder how we are going to get threw it because some days are so bad you want to give up. I am going on six years with fibro and i feel lost alot, but you just have to remain strong. I know what you mean though i have been getting alot worse for the last year or so and just keep getting worse.

I'm very sorry your having such a rough time with all your pain and i'm extra sorry its getting worse.

This is what i do when i am at my witts end and i want to just give up i think of my son and i find the strength to go on i love my son so much and i found when i can no longer be strong for myself i can be strong for him. Sometimes when you can no longer be strong for yourself you have to be strong for someone or something that you love.

I also read alot of books i try to focus on what i'm reading so i keep my mind busy and i wont just focus on the pain that way. And a hobby might do you some good i scrapbook, i can't scrapbook for long periods of time because of the pain but i will scrapbook for awhile take a break then if i'm able scrapbook some more.

Try to hang in there sweetie and don't give up. Also when your having an extra bad day post all your troubles here because everyone here is in chronic pain and they know exactly what your going threw that way you can get the well needed support you need.

I really hope you find something that works for you that way you can deal with your pain better. Take care, Tammy.
  8. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

PT is one of the next steps I am considering. I have also asked my chiro about doing trigger point therapy. Hopefully one of those will give me some relief. Thanks for the suggestion.
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

This is what I do for pain:

I have prescription medication that helps with the pain. They put me on the "heavy hitters" which is Oxycontin 3 times a day with Percocet for breakthrough pain.

While taking these types of meds, I still could not believe how much pain there was. I have found that it takes alternative medications or treatments to get relief.

My first recommendation would be to find a massage therapist that is use to dealing with pain and go on a regular basis. It is expensive (I buy large discounted packages).

I use soaks in the tub with Emsom or Dead Sea Salts in warm water. I cool down before I get out by using a cup or large sponge and running cool water over my head and body. This helps me more than a pain pill. I just can't stay in there constantly.

I have lots of pain in my legs. The massages help for awhile but then the pain comes and it is bad. I have large bruises on my legs (and use to on my biceps) where I am rubbing so deeply to try to stop the pain. I try different things. Lidoderm patches (prescription) help a lot. Ben Gay patches help also. I bought an inexpensive massage tool that I can rub on my leg and it helps. You can buy a tennis ball and find the trigger points (a lot of them are just under the butt and set on the ball and move and it will work as a massage).

I also use microwaveable heating pads and ice packs.

Supplements that I use for pain and I find very helpful is magnesium and malic acid. I can tell a difference if I forget to take them.

I do use other supplements but I just listed those I think are for pain.

Prescriptions alone just do not seem to work for this disease yet I do need them to make life bearable.

I hope you will find some of this info helpful. I feel I have this area in better control than all the other problems. I can't get the cognitive, GERDS. IBS, and fatigue under control although if pacing and using an energy envelope is very helpful for the fatigue, it is hard for me to do in real life.

I forgot something new I have been doing that helps too. It is music...soothing music. There have been studies lately that show music relieve pain and it helps you breath properly. It has made a difference in my life.

10. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Thanks much for all the suggestions. I have yet to have found a doctor that will give me any pain meds for fibro other than the tramadol, no narcotics. My rheumatologist doesn't believe in meds to treat fibro (get tramadol from my urologist for my IC) and my primary doctor said they are not right for me. I just don't think they get how rotten it is suffering with fibro. The pain clinic I called here said they do not treat with medication therapy. Where do you guys get your pain meds from?