Dont work Fed up.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by levis, Nov 6, 2006.

1. levis

levis New Member

Hello everyone,
    Hope your well, just a quick question to see how many of you work out there.
    I mean have careers or any type of unemployment.

I have been off work for the last 15 months and i get really very depressed at times. In a catch 22 situation where i just don't have the energy to work. Most people don't really understand,any of you guys in the same situation.

Love Levis
    xxxxxxxxxxx
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Levis,

I don't work and haven't since 04/05. It is very depressing because I can't work. I can't even do much housework at all.

I do get very depressed and bored but there's nothing I can do about it.

I really envy those who work and don't have to deal with what we do, as I'm sure all of us do.

BlueSky555
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have not been able to work for the past three years. It was so depressing to have to stop because I actually loved to work and it also pissed me off some because I had been raising my kids by myself and working I just couldn't believe that this could make working so impossible. I'm lucky because I'm on Section 8 housing and my ex pays child support every week. It's taken out of his check before he even gets paid. That is the only way we have been able to survive and even then with two teenage girls it gets a little tight. I would like to say it will get better but I can't. What I can say is that you will have good days and bad days so when those good days come around enjoy them as much as you can. Good Luck...........SueF
  4. bmadan

bmadan New Member

Hi guys,

Although I have just recently started experiencing symptoms of FMS and was diagnosed a couple of months ago, I have still been working full-time. I am fortunate that I don't work hourly and my employers are currently willing to work with me, because I keep all of my work up to date they don't have anything to complain about.

I know that sooner or later they may have a problem with my absences or not putting in 40 hours, but I guess that is a bridge I will have to cross sooner or later.

When I am having a really bad flare up, there is no way I put in 40 hours. The past two weeks, I have worked closer to my regular 40 hr schedule, but it takes all of my energy and I have none left. Once I get home, all I can really do is rest, the weekend is devoted to resting to, just to get through the work week.

Anyway, at the moment, I am working full time, whether I will be able to keep it up, especially when the work and demands get much worse, is still up for debate. I need to start thinking about how I will pay my bills if they let me go.

Barbara
  5. padre

padre New Member

Know how you feel. I have been on disability with a combination Fibro and another illness for two years. The depression is hard to divide from the boredom as I too was very busy and loved it.

My doctor will not release me for a paying job. He says, and he is right, that I need to feel free to say "no" and you cannot do that when you are paid. Volunteering really helps as I am a social person and need to interact with others. I volunteer as much as I can.

I suspect that everyone with a long term disability feels these things. Do you have enough energy for a support group? They sure have helped me.
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Levis,

I TOTALLY relate. Working obviously engages the brain and helps prevent boredom. Not to mention the paycheck. I keep thinking I'll be able to work at least somewhat, but I haven't really been able to much at all. Depression often catches me off guard too, and it stinks.

I was substitute teaching as a way to get flexible hours and work last minute when I was feeling up to it, but it's a very high energy job, and it's not often I have that much energy. I should probably start looking for volunteer opportunities so I feel more social and engaged, although in the back of my mind, I keep thinking I might be able to teach. I should probably try to find flexible volunteer opp. too, but I've been lazy about it.

At any rate, if you know you can't work and are letting your body heal, maybe there is a way for you to volunteer just a couple of hours a week so that your brain feels more engaged and to help prevent boredom.

BTW, somtimes I'm great at giving advice but not taking my own. Sometimes the hardest thing about starting something new is making yourself do it. Especially when you feel down. When I'm too depressed, I'm not too good at doing much of anything, but that's when I need to give myself a psychological kick in the pants and do something, and it usually helps if I can make myself do it. (Meaning I don't always bat 100%, but that's ok- I try!) The depression adds to our physical ailments. If we can help the depression, it will help our bodies feel just a little bit better. It's not a cure, but I think it helps. Hope this makes sense.

If you are can't get out of the house at all just yet, I have one idea for you: I've seen many opportunities (at least in my area) both church/synagogue based and non religious based for calling senior citizens to check up on them and just say hello. They are often lonely and isolated (as we often are when home sick for prolonged periods of time), and by calling them, it really brightens their day, which in turn will give a boost to your spirits because you made them happy.

Also, you are doing the right thing by giving your body time to heal and not pushing yourself. This will allow you to get better over time (although I understand how slow it is), and I think you will. Hope these ideas help. Please keep us posted!

Love, Erika
  7. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

I've been on SS Disability since late 1999. I have never missed having a job. I personally feel that working would be depressing. There's no way I can be the kind of worker that I once was. I was seeing that before I quit. So it's a relief to me to not be having to fight with my body to earn a living.

I've enjoyed hobbies (like playing music) that I didn't have time/energy to do before. I didn't really experience boredom until both shoulders started acting up. That extra limitation has been a challenge, both physically and emotionally. It's tough when you can't do what you did to get your mind off what you couldn't do before.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  8. doglover5

doglover5 New Member

Levis
    I have not worked since 1999. At the same time that I had to stop working I was also dealing with my youngest daughter getting married and empty nest syndrom. I was a blubbering idiot. I morned my former self for a little while but then I had to pull my self back up by my boot straps and get on with it. I realized that I was going to be in pain to matter where I was or what I was doing. So I would get up in the morning and maybe drive over to the causeway beach park and find a palm tree,set up my chair and read a good book. I would still be in pain but I could see the sun glisen off the water and feel the warm breaze blow in. You could hear the children squeal with laughter as they ran in and out of the water at the shore line or when it was quite you could just hear the waves breaking at the shore. My point is don't let the four walls of your home become your prison. You don't have to do anythin special JUST STEP OUT THE FRONT DOOR! You can do it Levis
    My hand will be on your shoulder when you do. And I'll walk every step right beside you.
    Vicki
    XOXOXO