Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Jun 1, 2008.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Dopamine is a hormone and neurotransmitter. Dopamine has many functions in the brain, including important roles in behavior and cognition, motor activity, motivation and reward, sleep, mood, attention, and learning. Dopaminergic neurons (i.e. neurons whose primary neurotransmitter is dopamine) are present chiefly in the ventral tegmental area (VTA) of the midbrain, substantia nigra pars compacta, and arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus............Manganese is required to activate Dopamine.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Have you used dopamine or dopamine agonists and had any luck with it. I have noticed a few topics on restless leg syndrome which i have and these type of drugs are suppose to be effective for this. I have had good success taking lyrica for RLS but taking sparringly now has it plonks the weight on.Wellbutrin is suppose to work on dopamine but in australia you can only get this med if your trying to give up smoking.From what i have heard wellbutrin is a stimulating medication so i dont know if it would help sleep even if it did stop RLS.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I take Bovine derived Manganese.
  4. sadie101

sadie101 New Member

has really help me a lot with fatigue. I was on cymbalta before and that did not help me at all. I am very happy I made the switch to wellbutrin.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Glad to see that you found something to help.

For me, Prozak is a miracle drug. I do not use it all the time but let me tell you that it really helps when you have to have that extra energy.

Take care, GA
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I juar happened to notice you are new to the board.

Welcome. This board is fabulous!!!

7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Have been on the board for a while, most of the time i just sit back and read everyones comments and add some here and there. Most of the subjects keep reappearing in a different form, but interesting on how diferent people react differently to meds etc. Still waiting for the info to come out on the antiviral study, but from what most people on the board have said about this treatment is only effective for a minority.

I think cfs has a major neurological component and the only things we have to treat these things are antidepressants, anti convulsives, sleep meds etc. Im starting to believe that we have some type of hit and run brain injury caused by a virus/infection/stress. There was a study done in australia where they seem to think that. An area of the brain called the hypothalamus seems to control our sleep, pain etc plus these things feed of each other, less sleep more pain, more pain makes sleep worse etc.
    I think we need some more really intellegent medical researchers to get cfs, then they will believe the condition is real and maybe find some answers.