Doubling up on meds due to mindfog = DANGEROUS.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedHeadEMT, Dec 6, 2006.

1. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Recently, I was involved in a really bad accident. I'm an EMT, working on an ambulance. We were responding to a call and making a turn at a big intersection, on a green light mind you, when a semi-truck rammed into the side of the ambulance.

Needless to say, since the accident (I was the one driving the ambulance at the time) I have had to deal with some pretty terrible back/neck issues. It has also really caused my Fibro and RSD to flare up, almost on a constant level.

SO, my pain doc rxed me SOMA to take when I am having a really rough time. I usually take flexeril for muscle spasms and it works very well for me, just for my FMS/RSD issues, but not well enough for my back/neck when they have gone into spasms.

He is very liberal with me when he rx'es any pain meds/muscle relaxants. I have been with him for over 2 years now and he really trusts me, as much as I trust him. However, with the SOMA, he said that he did not like to rx it to many people, but since it seems to be the only thing that helps my clenched, angry muscle spasms...

He gave me 30 pills with no refills and told me to try and take it only when I really need it.

I'm really close to his MA and she recently told me that he is trying to ween every pt off, that has been taking SOMA regularly. He feels that it is extremely powerful (and for him to say that-it really must be!) hypno-med. I guess recently, he had a pt die when she forgot that she had already taken her dose, and doubled the dose by taking another one. I guess she was kinda dependent on it and he had been desperately tryin to get her off, as she was a new pt and came in having been on the stuff for years and years now.

I am REALLY careful with all my meds. I keep a piece of paper with me at all times and have a multi-colored pen that I use to document which meds I take, at what time. I also have a small pill-box that I refill every morning with the max I can take in a day of the meds. This way I have the total number I started with at the beginning of the day and I can work off of that.

I know this may seem kinda obsessive/compulsive, but I do not want to ever double up on my doses and with the fibrofog, before I implemented this technique, I would sometimes forget if I had already taken my meds and scared of taking too much, I would wait till the next dose to take anything.

Most of the time, I HADN'T taken anything in the first place, but with the fibrofog, ya never know, and I felt like CRAP by the time that I was due for the next dose.

I just feel so sad for that lady who died because of something that all of us have probably had to deal with at some time or another.

The Soma is a very strong drug and I am aware of that every time that I take it. This is why I keep such meticulous track of how and when I take my meds.

I just wanted to remind everyone of the dangers of our forgetful minds and how we must overcompensate by being overtly dilligent when it comes to keeping track of how we take our medications, for us to never become complacent.

I know that this is kind of a serious post, but I think, something that needed to be discussed.

I'd be interested in hearing your stories and ideas on how YOU keep track of your med schedule....

Soft hugs,

-K
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I am only on two meds, effexor and lorazepam (which do wonders for me, by the way).

However, I must count them and label them by day, or I never remember if and how many I take.

It's frustrating but I think we all need to do this.

Great Post.

Sue in Ontario
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I can't get along without my pill box. Mon-Sun , Morn, Noon, Eve, Bed. It's a big one with 28 compartment. I'm taking so many supplements, I can't even fit them all in it. So I have this box and lots of bottles by the bed. My brain fog is finally lifting so I usually remember what I've taken except for dilantin. I've been taking it for about 16 years so it's like driving; I do it without thinking. So it's in the pill box or I absolutely cannot remember if or when I took it.

I remember times when I had the open bottle in my hand and brain fog was so severe I couldn't remember if I had taken it within the last 30 seconds or not!

happy xmas

karen
  4. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Sue, I'm happy to hear that you have found a combo that works well for you. It takes years sometimes to find the right drugs to help you feel like a human being again.

Thanks for noticing the post; I think that, depending on the level of your fibrofog, or forgetfulness, it is so important to find a method that works for YOU in keeping track of your meds/supplements.

Karen, wow, to be on a med for so many years...wow. That's amazing that you have found a drug that has worked for you for so many years. I, too, have a 7-day circular pill holder that I use to hold my daily dose of MS Contin (time released morphine). I take one pill, three times a day, so a 7-day holder is sufficient for that purpose.

I use a small pill box (actually it's a beautiful miny shell with a hinge and clasp that my husband got up on Vasser Island in Washington for me) for my Norco. Finally, I have a small pill bottle that I usually hold a couple of Somas and a couple of Flexerils in.

Take care, ladies...Thanks for the great responses.

(((((((((((gentle hugs)))))))))))))

-K
  5. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

The pill box is a great idea! I have one of these also.As my mind has a tendancy to get up in leave without notifying me of where it's going or when it's coming back!!
    Couldn't get through the day without it. I fill it on the weeks I can think and hubby fills it on the weeks I can't
    He also checks sometimes when the mind thing happens to be sure Ive taken them..So it is also good to have someone check up on you too!
    CindyVR
  6. Lisa184

Lisa184 New Member

Sorry to hear of your accident. Doesn't help anything that's for sure.

I personally take Flexeril and it works just fine. At one point early on, a doctor prescribed me Soma 3 times a day. I was really out there; I couldn't even see straight. My husband call the doc and complained. I never took it again. My hubby also needs a muscle relaxer and his doctor gave him Robaxin. It works for him.

I also use a 7 day/4 times pill organizer. I have to keep track of myself and sometimes that isn't too easy. As long I lay it out correctly, I don't worry about it.

We almost have to be our own back-up pharamist/doctor and try different combinations until one finally works. Of course, a little tweeking along the way seems pretty normal.

Hope you recover quickly! Lisa
  7. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

You're absolutely right that it CANNOT ever hurt to have a trusted friend/family member help ya out! I also totally understand when you say that things tend to walk away on their own...even if they have no feet!!! Man, our fibro-adventures are something, aren't they? hehe

Lisa, thanks for the concern. Yeah, it's been a rough recovery, if that's what you wanna call it. I've actually had T-H-E S-L-O-W-E-S-T R-E-C-O-V-E-R-Y humanly possible, I think. It has been absolutely frustrating and demoralizing to feel like I am taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back...

Lisa, you also mentioned that you had a really loopy time on the Soma, and I'd have to agree, although mine is not so severe. I usually take it late at night when my back will not let me lay down or one day a week when I am at home, finally, able to rest. I find that if I take it (3 or so doses for the day) for that one day, throughout that one day, I will feel better, my muscles feel less tight for the next few days.

I usually take Flexeril on a regular basis, but on some says since the accident, it just doesn't cut it.

I used to take half a robaxin with my norco before the accident, but although it was adequate for the fms, it was not for the post-accident me!

Again, thanks for the thoughts and ideas that you've shared! Keep 'em comin!! :O)

(((((((((((gentle hugs))))))))))))

-K
  8. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I dont take any powerful drugs lucky. I just take vitaims and lots of them.

My system is I have three little round containers with morning, lunch and evening written on the top. before I go to bed I full each one with the vits im going to take at that time the next day.

Its been working great I take them all and know if i have or not, the bigger plus is if i go out i just take the container with me.

evol
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

you do not sound obsessive/compulsive at all! In fact, you are just being a responsible med taker! Sounds like you've got a good system that works for you. We can never be too careful when it comes to these meds we have to take!

Hope and pray you back heals up and sorry you had to experience that awful accident.

Blessings,

Raz
  10. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Evol, you're really lucky that you found vitamins that works well enough for you that you don't need stronger meds. God bless ya! I also like my little pill containers, too, because they are portable.

Goldyfm, yes, unfortunately, if there is not one thing to worry about, there sure as heck will be another. You know, the best way to look at it though--it is always better to skip a dose by accident (yeah, it stinks cuz you feel like crap and your whole system gets off) than take an extra dose, just in case, and by accident kill yourself! Thank goodness for pill boxes and family/friends who help!!

Cheryl, I am so happy that you ran across my post and that you wrote about your experience. Before I started my system, I would often ask my husband if he remembered me taking my med/s, but I realized after some time, that he sometimes forgets things, too. Gosh, can you imagine how he would feel if he told me that he didn't remember me taking anything, but I had, and than Lord knows...

Getting your OWN system, whether it is boxes or writing it down, or whatever, as long as YOU are able to be responsible for your own dosing is the best way to go, in my humble opinion.

Razorqueen, thanks for the words of confidence. You are absolutely right when you say that you can never be too careful when it comes to ANY meds. Also, thanks for the kind words about my accident. I'm workin on it! :O)

Take care everyone and again, thanks so much for the ideas and thoughts!! I reallllly like and appreciate everyone that I've come across on this site so far!!

(((((((gentle hugs)))))))

K
  11. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Have you tried/had luck with Klonopin? It is a lifesaver for me. I get myoclonis (which causes a lot of tense muscles--certainly not as bad as yours though) throughout the day without them.

Just an idea? Hopefully you get some relief.

CFS 6 1/2 years -- 25 years old
  12. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Gothbubbles,

Yeah, actually, I was taking Klonopin for a few months about a few months ago (pre-accident), for anxiety and at night to help me sleep. It does work well for that, although I'm not sure if I can take klonopin on top of the pain meds and muscle relaxants...thanks for the idea, though! I'll definitely ask my doc when I see him next week!!

K
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I know that I need to order my pills when there is just 7 days left.I take the empty bottle and put it on my night table.It doesn't come off until I've ordered it.Linda
  14. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Honey...how have you been? Nice to run into you. Wow, that's a really scary thing that happened to your grandpa; it's a lucky thing that nothing bad happened to him as a result of that. Thank God!

You brought up a really good point, something I hadn't even thought of--What is you DO end up running out really? Good luck with getting a refill on anything controlled EARLY!

Take care honey! Any plans for the weekend? It's raining here and I have been doing WAY too much: puting Christmas tree up, decorating it and THE WHOLE house...then cleaning up in the aftermath. Now, it just started raining and it's supposed to all weekend. Ouch.

xoxo

K