Doxepin and Elavil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HagerTX, Apr 11, 2006.

1. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Currently I'm on 100mg Doxepin for anxiety, depression and sleep. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried both Elavil and Doxepin at different points. If so, I'd like to hear which may be more sedating. Doxepin is somewhat sedating--but it doesn't have the same sedative effect it did a few years ago.

So, anyone taken both these meds, and if so, can you compare the two?

-Greg
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Doxepin years ago made me looney after I took two.

I am wondering if Elavil actually lifts the spirits up, is this why you want to combine. It seems that the name indicates that.

So bumping up.

Love Anne C
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is supposed to help with sleep but all it did to me was make me edgy. I also have a paradoxical reaction to Provigil and it makes me sleepy. I have a feeling that I have adult ADD and that is why.

Elavil is widely used to help with pain and sleep. It is notorious for significan and rapid weight gain. I did gain a lot of weight on it and had to stop taking it.

We are all different and what works for one doesn't work for all. There's a lot of trial and error in finding the right regimen. There should also be a lot of research because we cannot depend on our docs to be well informed and to inform us, unfortunately. Most of them get their info from the pharmaceutical reps and their literatore.

Love, Mikie