Doxepin Elixir Is Working

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As some of y'all know, my Klonopin had stopped working and my sleep study showed little Stage 3 sleep and no Stage 4 sleep. I weaned down on the Klonopin and it started working again at .75 mgs. instead of the 1 mg. I had been on. Still, I thought my sleep could be improved upon. I read where Dr. Cheney uses Doxepin Elixir 10mg/ml to augment the Klonopin and decided to ask my doc for it. Dr. Cheney says to start out slowly and I have. Only two drops of the elixir is helping me to sleep better. Doxepin is a tricyclic AD.

I posted several weeks ago that I had some kind of virus. It started to go away and came back again. I finally Herxed yesterday and my headache has gone as has the temperature I was running. At first, I thought I had a UTI but my urine was neg. for anything which could cause UTI symptoms. I am still having some pelvic pain so am seeing my Gyno next week. If he finds nothing, I will have to see a urologist if this pain continues.

I was to have gone up to Atlanta this week but had to cancel the trip. Bummer! I'll let y'all know if the docs find anything. This is not FMS/CFIDS unless it's interstitial cystitis which is common with our illnesses. I never want to assume any new symptom is FMS/CFIDS and miss something else which could be serious.

Just wanted y'all to know that the Doxepin seems to be working well for me. Dr. Cheney says it works synergystically with the Klonopin for good quality sleep. I am just a tad groggy upon waking but I feel refreshed. It takes the Klonopin about an hour to make me sleepy but the Doxepin knocks me out almost immediately.

Love, Mikie
  2. mariee

mariee Member

Glad for you, Mikie.
    I have been following your posts, since we take about the same meds.
    I was taking 20mg Doxepin at bedtime (capsule), but I was having nightmares. My doc lowered it to 10mg. and the nightmares stopped.
    What is the difference between an elixir and capsule as far as dosage? And does your dose help w. pain or just sleep?
    The 10 mg helps me sleep, but I do seem 'hung over' the next morning.
    Thanks
    Marie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney believes the Doxepin works synergystically with the Klonopin for good sleep and pain. He says the Doxepin is a strong antihistamine and immune modulator as well.

Cheney believes we can be very sensitive to the Doxepin so he recommends only taking a couple of drops of the elixir to start. The normal dose is 1 ml which is 10 mgs. The prescription is written as 10mg/ml. Elixir is used because it is easy to control the dose. Normally, one would take 1 ml which would be 10 mgs. Even that is considered a very low dose. I am amazed that only two drops could have such a good effect. Of course, over time, it may have to be increased.

The pharmacist made the elixir and it was less than $3.50 for a month's supply which is 30 mls. It is quite bitter but the taste doesn't bother me. I put the drops in a bit of water but I could just as easily drop them on my tongue.

I don't wake up quite as abruptly as I used to but I do not feel groggy. I have been taking 1/4 of a Klonopin tablet upon waking and it actually helps me to think more clearly.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2005]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There may be others who would be interested in the Doxepin.

Love, Mikie
  5. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Yes, hope that others can find out about the elixer. I didn't know about it and was on 20mg. (I think) for sleep) whew...really wiped me out. Glad that the elixer is helping.

Sorry you had to miss your trip! Really hate it when that happens(have missed out on many trips). Hope you feel up to going at a later time...
    -Laura
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the only reason Cheney likes it in the elixir form is so that it can be started at a very, very low dose and increased as needed. I have to say that I'm amazed at how sensitive I am to it. This morning, I wasn't groggy upon wakening. I just feel better during the day now. That usually only happens when sleep is good. I think if one is on 10 or 20 mgs., it wouldn't make sense to do the elixir but it's good for beginners.

My appt. with the Gyno is Tues. and if all goes well, I'm planning on heading up to Atlanta on Wed.--just a week late. I'm dying to see my kids.

Love, Mikie
  7. mariee

mariee Member

My doc prescribed 2 10 mgs. per night.
    That way, if I need 20 mgs. I have it.
    But I only use one...most of the time.
    Mybe your doc could break your dose down into 10 mg. pills?
    Good luck.

Thanks for the info, Mikie.
    I hope you make your trip.