doxepin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joysarah, Oct 23, 2006.

1. joysarah

joysarah New Member

I was wondering if anyone else here has or was on Doxepin. It is an antidepressant, one of the old ones. The Dr gave it to me for sleep and I can't tell u how much it has helped. I mean I am not ready to go back to work but I haven't been able to do the things I can do now in over 2 yrs. They say it helps with chronic pain and it really causes u to sleep well. I would love to hear some feed back. I take it at bedtime, 50mg 1 or 2 as needed. I don't know how long it will last but I thank God for everyday.
    God Bless u all Joy
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I have some in liquid form. I think 1 teaspoon would equal a regular dose.

It's sometimes recommended that Klonopin (a tranquilizer) be used in combination with Doxepin for sleep. The Klonopin wears off within about 6 hours, and so a few drops of the Doxepin is added to help with sleep.

I've never managed to get the dose right---either I take too much and have a hangover the next morning (lasting for hours) or I take too little and don't get the full night's sleep.

It certainly does cause sleep, although I wouldn't say it's good quality sleep. I can't imagine how sleepy I would be if I took a regular dose of it.

I've finally given up and started (for now) just using the Klonopin. If I wake up too early (rarely happens), I take a Xanax to tide me over for another few hours.

I've not heard of anyone else here using Doxepin on its own, but perhaps someone else has experience.
  3. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Joy -- I think it's great that it's working.....go with it!

We are all so different, therefore react so differently as well.

Doxepin did not help w/ my insomnia. I also gained a lot of weight, very quickly, on it. I'm sure if it helped me as much as it has helped you, I'd still be on it.

Enjoy :)
  4. maedaze

maedaze New Member

I hope i get the same response from you on it, joysarah. My doctor wants to start me on it next month. We just had to get my migraines under control first.

I look forward to trying it now.. Thanx :eek:)
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've used Doxepin for at least 10 years, for sleep. I was up to 125 mg. about 5 years ago. I was also on about 15 other meds and decided myself to get off as many as I could. I had started taking L-Tryptophan (an amino acid)for sleep and gradually weaned down to 10 mg. of Doxepin and have stayed with that for past 5 years ago. The only other drug I stayed with was the Tenormin for Tackycardia, but did reduce the dose.

The weight I gained while on Doxepin is enormous! I never related it to the Doxepin but looking back, and from other comments, I would bet that it what did it. And,,,the weight did not come off after reducing the dosage, grrr.
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I took it too and it worked so well for me. I could sleep and had alot less pain. I had to go off it though because of all the weight gain. Please watch out for that.
  7. joysarah

joysarah New Member

for all ur replys. I have been really blessed so far and I have also lost 10 pounds. of course I have left my alcholic husband and I have a cool new friend!!So I think that alone has helped. After 35yrs of it I knew I was due for a change. I am getting to old to fast to not get some happiness out of this life. I finally said it was my turn and my kids and all would just have to deal with it. They r all grown. So if ur not happy in that way try something or I should say someone that will make u happy. I feel I have really been blessed. He is younger than me too so THINGS R REALLY GOOD!!!
    Just wanted to share. u all take care Joy
  8. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I was on this for a couple of years. I was taking 10mg and I was doing ok on it. Then I had to add in a betablocker and another med for arrythmia and the Doxepin combined with these, made it so I couldn't wake up.

The Dr. told me, he liked Doxepin better than Amitriptlyne(sp) because it was non-addictive.

Glad that it is helping you.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It made me very jumpy and anxious. Dr. Cheney recommends it with the Klonopin. Since the Klonopin worked so well, I was hoping the Doxepin would too. Like we always say, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I'm glad it is helping you.

Love, Mikie
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

I've been taking Klonopin and Doxepin at bedtime for, oh, 15 years or so. I only take 20 mg. It really helps me get a good night's sleep. I tried to wean myself of it, because I wanted to see if the Klonopin alone would do the trick, but I really seem to need the Doxepin.

It's been a lifesaver for me. I had horrible insomnia before.

I also took 10 mg of Flexeril for five years. It works well with the Sinequan for FMS. I noticed it really helped with the pain. And, after five years, I was pretty much pain free!

I hope it helps you, as well.

Hugs,
    Zombie