Doxy and Herxing...Questions

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Manwithfibro, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Hi
    I was diagnosed with lyme after a long time of getting misdiagnosed. After starting Doxycycline, I felt really bad one week in and by week 3, had to stop it. I thought my head would blow up as the pressure was getting that intense.

So, after taking a week off, going back on. How do I know this is really a herx? The flu feeling, the head pressure, the increase in pain everywhere etc...I am concerned that maybe I just am having side effects of the medication and not really a herx. The doctor says to hang in there as feeling awful is normal but wow, this is tough.

Help appreciated.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It sounds like a herx.

You may need to start slower with the doxy and work up.

It is typical for doxy to cause die-off of some of the bacterial spirochetes that you've been infected with for years, causing increased symptoms.

Do everything you can to help your body rid itself of the toxins from the die off.

That means detoxing...like drinking lots of water with lemon, detox baths, etc.

On lymenet.org's Medical Questions board there are alot of posts about detoxing.

Do some reading about detoxing and call your Dr if you have further concerns.

My Dr says slow and steady wins the race.

But...you can't finish the race until you start.

It's a long road....just take it one day at a time.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

There are a lot of good detoxing posts here on a post I started a long time ago.

Nanie, you're a moderator now, right? -maybe we could make that post a stickie? Maybe you could add some more that may be missing?

I hope you're doing a bit better by now, manwithfibro.... I've been off the boards for a while.

Victoria
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I am checking into the possibiity of making your detox post a stickie.

Have a great day!!