Doxycycline vs. Levaquin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zoemurr, Oct 2, 2006.

1. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

OK.. a few months ago I had spoken with Dr. J at the Cleveland FFC. (Right before she left...)

Anyway, I had tested + for Epstein Barr and Clamydia pneumonia. We were going to go ahead with Doxy and Valtrex.

I'm a chicken about new meds, so I have been putting off taking them. When I got the Rx filled, I was given Levaquin, not Doxy. They are different meds right? I assume that she perscribed this instead.. I guess I never even looked at the script.

Levaquin looks scary.. has anyone else been perscribed this by the FFC? Should I call her and ask for Doxy?, Thanks...
  2. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I would definitely call to make sure what you were given is correct. It's better to be sure than to make a mistake.
    Remember, your in control because it's your life that's on the line..
  3. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

That's what I figured after doing some research. I won't take the Levaquin. I did the consult over the phone, and I wrote down that we were going to try Doxy. Then she sent the scripts that I brought to the pharmacy. I wonder why she would have changed her mind? I just really hope the problem wasn't from the pharmacy. I'll call the FFC and ask, and then ask for the Rx for doxy.

Ugh.. glad I thought enough to look this up. At first I just assumed it was the same drug under a different name.

-Sherry

4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I took Levaquin, had severe blood sugar swings and DEVELOPED TENDONITIS.

Wouldnt' take the stuff except in life and death situation, again.
  5. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

Just say no!
  6. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

Wow.. I wouldn't know any of this stuff if it wasn't for you guys.

I called the FFC and what had happened was that Dr. J Rxed the doxy, but told me to stay out of the sun. When I said that would be hard, she switched it to Levaquin, but we didn't discuss anything about it. Thank goodness I looked it up here before I took any. I called the FFC and they wrote a script for the doxy. I think I'm finally ready to start my valtrex/doxy/jaro/protocal. Wish me luck!
  7. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Zoemurr,

Wishing you all the best with your new protocol.

I hope you will keep us posted on your experience with it and progress. I am very interested to see if it improves your health, as I am considering trying an antivrial or the transfer factors.

What is the jaro part of the protocol? Is that a probiotic?

Good luck!

Jennifer
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I took the Doxy for 2 1/2 years to control the mycoplasma infection and Famvir for about 1 1/2 years for chronic reactivating viruses. I now only keep them around in case something tries to reactivate. I have switched to the transfer factors which I pulse now for only a couple of days every six weeks.

Let us know how you are doing.

Love, Mikie