Doxycycline

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rozmund asked me to post my response to her as an original post for anyone new who doesn't know about the mycoplasmas and antibiotic treatment.

I am on the Doxycycline treatment and have been for about a year now. I improve while on it and get sick every time I try to cycle off of it within three days of stopping the drug. My onset was triggered 12 years ago by a mycoplasma infection, just at the start of the Gulf War. I lived next to a military installation.

BTW, Dr. Garth Nicolson, the father of mycoplasma research, says his tests indicate that between 60 and 70 percent of people with CFS/FMS have chronic mycoplasma infections.

The author of the article evidently did not know that there are lab tests for these infections. They are PCR DNA tests which are done by only a handful of labs in the U.S. They are expensive, the blood must be carefully handled, and there is a high probability of a false neg. I think the author of this article is right to try the antibiotics without relying on the tests becuase if you do not have a chronic bacterial infection, the antibiotics will do nothing.

For anyone who has improved on antibiotics but whose doc will not continue to prescribe them, do some research on mycoplasmas. Dr. Nicolson says it can take several years on the antibiotics to get rid of the mycoplasmas. I will try to cycle off again in Jan. if I am feeling well.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rozmund asked me to post my response to her as an original post for anyone new who doesn't know about the mycoplasmas and antibiotic treatment.

I am on the Doxycycline treatment and have been for about a year now. I improve while on it and get sick every time I try to cycle off of it within three days of stopping the drug. My onset was triggered 12 years ago by a mycoplasma infection, just at the start of the Gulf War. I lived next to a military installation.

BTW, Dr. Garth Nicolson, the father of mycoplasma research, says his tests indicate that between 60 and 70 percent of people with CFS/FMS have chronic mycoplasma infections.

The author of the article evidently did not know that there are lab tests for these infections. They are PCR DNA tests which are done by only a handful of labs in the U.S. They are expensive, the blood must be carefully handled, and there is a high probability of a false neg. I think the author of this article is right to try the antibiotics without relying on the tests becuase if you do not have a chronic bacterial infection, the antibiotics will do nothing.

For anyone who has improved on antibiotics but whose doc will not continue to prescribe them, do some research on mycoplasmas. Dr. Nicolson says it can take several years on the antibiotics to get rid of the mycoplasmas. I will try to cycle off again in Jan. if I am feeling well.

Love, Mikie
  3. selma

selma New Member

Know lots of newbies can use the info.
  4. Daphne

Daphne New Member

What dose of doxy are you taking?
  5. Grams

Grams New Member

I'm also curious about the dose of doxy given for mycoplasma. I've taken doxy for a long time for rosacea. I also use topical meds to treat/control the rosacea.

The doxy was started at 100mg twice daily, then over months, tapered to 50mg daily. The dermatologist says it's OK to remain on this dose of doxy indefinitely, as long as it's controlling the rosacea. I keep wondering if the doxy is helping more than the rosacea.:)
  6. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

The dose I take is 100 mq twice a day.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I take 100 mgs twice a day. Dr. Nicolson suggests 200-300 mgs daily for chronic mycoplasma infections.

For anyone thinking of approaching your doc, print out some of the articles and highlight them and annotate them. There is one on the Home Page now from a doc who tries the antibiotics without testing. This is what my doc did because we know my illnesses were triggered by a mycoplasma infection at the start of the Gulf War.

It always helps when asking your doc for anything if you have something to back up your request. Posts on message boards do not impress most docs, but medical papers do. My doc is very grateful for my research and is willing to learn about our illnesses.

Love, Mikie