Dr. and Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jknight, Oct 19, 2009.

  1. jknight

    jknight Member

    A little bit of history I have had FMS since 2003 and also have 3 herniated disks in my neck, sleep apnea and diabetes, high blood pressure and migraines.

    I work full time and am having a really hard time holding down my job. I have been seeing a pain specialist for several years and at my last visit I told her how hard it was to work because of the pain and fatigue.

    This is where the problem begins, the Dr. told me (of all things) that our government can't afford to pay for disability. Needless to say I was taken back and didn't know what to say.

    She then told me I needed to change jobs. I have been in this job for almost 15 years and it is not physically hard but it is stressful, but I do not think this is the answer.

    So my question is does the Dr. have to agree with you about filing? I know the medical records support my illness because she takes very thorough notes.

    Any comments would be appreciated.
  2. floyd000

    floyd000 New Member

    I can't comment on the details of disability but I would encourage you to find a doctor more sympathetic to your condition. I probably would have gotten in trouble and said that the government can't pay for her Medicare patients or that I can't afford to pay either. Unfortunately, many doctors seem to be really arrogant and I try my best not to let them get away with it.

    In dealing with my health issues the one thing I've learned is that it is not worth going to a doctor for the long term that a) is not an expert (or not willing to learn) on your condition b) is not "user friendly".

    Good luck!

  3. AuntTammie

    AuntTammie New Member

    I would get copies of all your records from her (it's your rt to do so), and then find a new Dr before filing

    also you can tell her (but with that attitude she probably won't care) that it is money that you already worked for and paid into ss that would be paying your disability - in other words - it's your money -you earned it
  4. JLH

    JLH New Member

    I have been on SSDI since 2000. I worked for 30 years and then had to retire early due to my many major health problems. A year later I applied for disability and was awarded it on my first attempt--I was extremely lucky. Most SSDI applications take anywhere from one to two years to be completed.

    From all the communications I had with Soc. Sec., I believe you must be disabled (and not working) for one year before you are considered. I would call you local Soc. Sec. office and ask them if you can apply while you are working full time. I know after you are awarded SSDI, you are able to work so many hours per month and still receive it. But, as far as SS is concerned, if you are now working full time, you must not be disabled.

    However, what they don't realize is, that no matter how poorly you feel, you must work in order to pay your bills, have medical insurance, and eat! Nothing makes sense of all the rules!

    I do know for sure that after you are awarded SSDI, you must wait two years before you are eligible to receive Medicare benefits. So, if you don't have any company benefits, or private individual health coverage, you will be without medical insurance for two years. I was lucky where I had already retired that I had my company's retirement benefits which included a very small pension (very small--even after working 30 years there!) and a complete medical package which included medical, hospitalization, prescription drugs, vision, and dental--even though I have to pay $300+/month for it.

    I would think twice before you changed jobs like your doctor suggested, especially if you have close to 15 years of service in where you are at. In this economy, it will be extremely hard to find another job. And ... with starting a new job, you will probably start at the bottom of the totem pole in pay, not have any vacation benefits for the first year, maybe no sick days for the first year and then when you do earn your vacation and sick benefits they will probably be less than what you had worked up to in your current job.

    Re your question about your doc having to agree with you about filing for disability ... it certainly helps because her opinion will be evident in the way she completes the papers that she will be required to complete by the Soc. Sec. Adm. If she doesn't agree with you, she may complete them stating that she feels you are able to work full time, just at a job that is not as stressful, etc.

    But, if you change to another doc, he/she may not want to complete papers until he/she knows your better and you have been a patient there for a while. You just can't win.

    I remember before I ended up retiring, after driving over an hour to get home from working 10 hours or more, I would head right for my LazyBoy rocker with an ice pack to put at the base of my neck and between my shoulder blades. That is where working on a computer all day would really get me the worst. Then after being iced down for 30-40 minutes, I would go lie down for another 30 min. before I could start dinner and my evening responsibilities. (I had 3 children at home at the time.) It was really rough working. Like you, I had an extremely stressful job, I worked 10-12 hrs./day and sometimes 6 days/week, drove over an hour to and from work, and had full responsibility raising my three kids.

    Good luck on whatever route you decide to take.

  5. scarletstang

    scarletstang New Member

    I worked for years, then a reduced schedule, suffering like you with a myraid of problems. Your doctor should not offer "those" types of opinions; totally unprofessional at the least. By law, you can have a complete copy of your records. They can charge you the customary rate for copying, but they have to give it to you. Request it in writing, not verbally and make sure you do get it before you would change doctors. Personally, I would not have much respect for a doctor that made those remarks. Best of luck to you.

[ advertisement ]