Dr appt/loan forgiveness forms - any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Apr 7, 2010.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have an appt with my Dr next week, and I have to try to convince him to fill out forms for student loan forgiveness. I took out the loans fully expecting to be able to work and pay them back, and that is just not happening. There are not many options re loans either. You cannot include them in bankruptcy, you can only defer them for a few yrs (& I have been doing that), and even the lowest income based payment plan is far beyond what I could manage.

And, apparently since our brilliant govt has been screwing around with SS for so long and are now running out of money, they are cracking down on loans by taking the money out of SS payments. Considering that what I am currently getting does not even cover the most basic living expenses, there is no way that I can take anything out of it to pay for loans. For whatever reason, the loan people do not consider the fact that I am on disability enough proof that I am unable to work either. (like it's easy to get SSDI!)

So, I have to figure out how to get my Dr to fill out the forms (and considering that he didn't even want to sign something for me to get a permanent disabled parking permit, this is not going to be easy....he did finally sign it, but he kept saying that there is no reason to believe that this is permanent!), and not only that but I have to figure out what to have him put on the forms that will convince the loan people that I absolutely cannot work at all whatsoever.

The forms say quite clearly all over the place, "totally and permanently disabled". They do have a three yr conditional discharge, though. So after the Dr fills out the forms, you cannot work at all for three yrs and then they forgive the loans. If even they consider three yrs permanent, and I have already been sick for almost 6, of which the last couple I have been almost housebound and barely managing to take care of myself, you would think the Dr would get that I should be considered disabled.

I think that he just doesn't want me to give up hope that things may someday improve, and I haven't, but given that there is a very good possibility that they won't improve, and given that I am completely unable to work rt now, I am totally screwed if he does not fill these out and if they are not considered sufficient.

So, any ideas of what to put on the forms and/or how to get him to fill them out would be really helpful.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I understand the part about your Dr. maybe not wanting you to give up hope. That could very well be his motive. If you believe that, that's what I would "work on". Meaning, have a bit of a conversation first (before you get to the forms) about how you can't totally give up etc.
    Maybe how the worst thing for you is the financial stress, blahblahblah....

"I hope this is NOT permanent, but I have to expect the best but be prepared for the worst, I will never lose hope that some day, .... some day....I'll be able to participate in my life, but the reality is that right now I am unable to. You understand that Dr. ____, don't you? The stress of these loans looming over my head is incredible. I can barely pay for _____. I want nothing more than to be able to use the education that I went to school for. Actually, I'd love to just be able to work, but right now and in the near future that just isn't possible, that's why I'm receiving SSDI. "

Okay, obviously don't use my wording, but you get what I mean. Normally I agree that student loans should be paid back and I agree that they shouldnt' go into bankrupcties - but NOT in medical cases where a person needs forgiveness or a forebearance. In universities where one might have gotten free credits/scholarships for all sorts of reasons (**father wears overalls only and won't eat fish), they obviously have some leeway.

***I can't believe the questions you have to answer on the FAFSA these days to see if you qualify for any special grants/scholarships etc. I mean they give them to almost every special group.

Anyway, I hope your Dr. is understanding. If he's anything like my Dr. (who will sign me out on disability at any time) he is concerned that I will not do anything, lose hope and become depressed. He thinks that's the worst thing for me. Let him know of things you're doing to help yourself FEEL better (not become "less" disabled)

Good Luck Aunt Tammie!

3. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

AuntTammie, i think just the way you are describing all here will be perfectly fine to explain to your doc as to why you need him to fill out these forms. Especially since you have been sick for nearly 6 years will clarify you are disabled. Explaining simply to your doc you need his assistance in filling out and signing the student loan forgiveness forms as you simply are unable to pay this loan due to your illness and not likely to be working within the next 3 years.

Hopefully i'm making a bit of sense, i'm not always the best at explaining as i try too.

Most importantly, during this appointment focus only on this issue for the appointment.
    If at all possible, have him fill out and sign the forms during this appointment.

Explain truthfully and i highly feel your doc will take care of this for you.
    This is probably not the first time/or last doc has had to fill out forms for patients.
    I really feel you will be fine with this appointment. You describe all so well in your post, a good way to present to your doc. I can imagine all this is so nerve wracking, you'll do fine.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

FYI -
    Student Loans are one debt that Statute of Limitations don't apply to. That's why they can't be included in or wiped out by bankruptcies.

I agree though, if there's no money, there's no money.
  5. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have had to have drs sign forms for me way back when I was in undergraduate school so I could get disability services. I was very open and honest with my providers. I had to have multiple letters and while most of my drs were supportive of me going to school while I was still in therapy for my closed head injury, one of my drs was not so supportive. I was very open and honest with him and he finally understood and wrote a letter.

I am currently in grad-school and barely surviving b/c of my student loans. If I get worse, I will be in your situation one day, a situation I do not envy.

I have always found that simply laying it all out in situations like this can be beneficial.

I am sure the stress of this is not doing anything to help you, tell your dr that. If your dr is not supportive, can you find another one? If your dr is apprehensive or flat out says no, ask why. Make him justify it and then shoot his justifications down with your side.

Please let us know how it goes.

I wish you strength in fighting this and send you good energy and vibes.

6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

lots of good suggestions.....wish I had the energy to reply to each individually but i don't so I am just saying to all of you that i really appreciate all your responses : )