Dr. appt. on the 10th. What "unconventional" tests to do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tired42long, Sep 5, 2002.

1. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all, I am going to GP for the first time in over 7 months...mostly do not see doc cause "there's nothing she can really do". So I've been just suffering and "resting" (like the dr. ordered) I've had lots of tests done after initial BLAST that set me into this after the "flu". That was 19 months ago. Some thyroid problems, but levels are "normal" now. They tested for pretty much the standard stuff like lymes, anemia,Epstein Barr, general bloodwork. IM NORMAL!!! Yeah right!
    I'm having a complete physical, 1st mamogram (wwooowwwee) and all that stuff. but sent a letter to her about 2 weeks ago saying I want a metal toxicity test and check for yeast in system, nutritional or enzyme deficiency, etc. No response. (Surprised?). Also sent one to Rhuemy---haven't seen HIM for 15 months, since dx of CFS. No response. (Surprised?) Also sent to cardio. Ditto. What i wonder is, I have read so much on here about "Leaky Gut", chemical and metal toxicity (am sure I have), and nutritional deficiency, etc. Also, threads and documentation that without help for some of these problems, the vitamins and supplements don't even get absorbed and USED by the body.I want to heal these problems so I can start pumping myself up with what I am MISSING! I'm thinking that she will not allow me to have this "unconventional testing". I've been working so hard reading posts here and the site library, several books on CFIDS/FMS, and now some by Sherry Rogers. What the heck do we do if docs won't test and are these tests expensive if you do them on your own? Can you even do this? Please, if anyone has advice on WHAT tests could or should be done, PLEASE answer this. I want to be armed with info when I go in. An old doctor (ortheo) friend suggested I take the books with me and may help persuade them (his wife has this too, for many years) Otherwise, I am to fight the HMO myself. Any suggestions! Sick and tired, in pain, and feeling like a discarded dish towel:( Eileen
  2. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all, I am going to GP for the first time in over 7 months...mostly do not see doc cause "there's nothing she can really do". So I've been just suffering and "resting" (like the dr. ordered) I've had lots of tests done after initial BLAST that set me into this after the "flu". That was 19 months ago. Some thyroid problems, but levels are "normal" now. They tested for pretty much the standard stuff like lymes, anemia,Epstein Barr, general bloodwork. IM NORMAL!!! Yeah right!
    I'm having a complete physical, 1st mamogram (wwooowwwee) and all that stuff. but sent a letter to her about 2 weeks ago saying I want a metal toxicity test and check for yeast in system, nutritional or enzyme deficiency, etc. No response. (Surprised?). Also sent one to Rhuemy---haven't seen HIM for 15 months, since dx of CFS. No response. (Surprised?) Also sent to cardio. Ditto. What i wonder is, I have read so much on here about "Leaky Gut", chemical and metal toxicity (am sure I have), and nutritional deficiency, etc. Also, threads and documentation that without help for some of these problems, the vitamins and supplements don't even get absorbed and USED by the body.I want to heal these problems so I can start pumping myself up with what I am MISSING! I'm thinking that she will not allow me to have this "unconventional testing". I've been working so hard reading posts here and the site library, several books on CFIDS/FMS, and now some by Sherry Rogers. What the heck do we do if docs won't test and are these tests expensive if you do them on your own? Can you even do this? Please, if anyone has advice on WHAT tests could or should be done, PLEASE answer this. I want to be armed with info when I go in. An old doctor (ortheo) friend suggested I take the books with me and may help persuade them (his wife has this too, for many years) Otherwise, I am to fight the HMO myself. Any suggestions! Sick and tired, in pain, and feeling like a discarded dish towel:( Eileen
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You sure have the right idea, gathering all that information before you go! Thats the smart thing to do.

If you get a doctor that is interested in your condition (CFS), they will be willing to work with you.

Having tests for what you mentioned should not be a problem either.

Wishing you a lot of luck. Others will share what they have done, I am not big on doctors, and really treat myself, so just stopped for moral support!!

Shalom, Shirl