Dr asking for Drug Screen?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nadineg, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Nadineg

Nadineg New Member

I have been seeing this Dr for almost 2 yrs and all of a sudden he is asking his patients for Drug Screens. Did any laws change in the last couple of months. I am in IL and I haven't heard anything. Top it all off I don't have a job, but my husband does and we are scraping just for food right now and the insurance says that they will not pay without a court order. Can anyone help me? I have done everything to the letter for this DR and now this.I feel that he is only milking everyones insurance. Also I have to see him every month to get my meds? This is crazy. So if I do get a job i have to say I need a day off every month to see the Dr. so I can pay his mortgage.
    Nadine
  2. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am in IL also and have never had the numerous doc's I've seen ask for a drug test. It was bad enough when I had to get for a new job 4 years ago....I don't think he has any right to do so...but I have nothing to base it on except my own experience. Do you have any other type of doctor you see - like a ob/gyn or even dermatologist or opthomalogist....ask them about it.

Good Luck...Nancy
  3. vp

vp New Member

I haven't been asked yet, and have nothing to hide, but I'm not sure I would get a test that I don't want (or need), especially if I can't pay for it. What drugs did they say they are screening for? Recreational/ street drugs? or Prescription Drugs?
    I have a dr. appt tomorrow with my PCP, wonder if I'll be asked too?
    Valerie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

They do this in my state. At least the pain management doctors do.

They do a "spot check" - you never know if they will pick you or not, but they also have the right to ask you each and every time prior to writing you a prescription.

They are checking to make sure that YOU are actually the one taking the pain med--if you are, your test will prove it. They want to make sure that you are not selling the pills or getting them for someone else.

And ... if you have MORE in your test than you should have (more than what the doc prescribed), then the doc knows you are doctor shopping and then he won't give you any more scripts.

This keeps tham out of trouble in the long run.

They figure if you want/need the pain meds bad enough, you will comply with their procedures.

It's a shame our country has come to this for a legitimate patient that needs pain medication.
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

is not easy and many docs wont do it at all. I know when I thru a round of drugs from the sleep doc to try and keep me awake during the day I could only get a 30 day scrip by law.

The docs have to follow the law or they can get into hot water. A lot of docs who have a lot of patients they prescribe for get in trouble anyway so I suspect them asking for a blood test is just one of those things they have to do now and then so they can keep on giving you the meds you need.

If you have a question about why the drug test just ask why the want it. Dont be confrontational but if you have to pay for it let them know you are questioning because of the additional expense.

Think good thoughts until the office proves otherwise.

6. Nadineg

Nadineg New Member

I just wanted to find out if anyone else has been asked to take a urine test for their Pain Management Doc. I have never given him any reason to doubt me. He does not read his notes from his prior visit with you in order to know what is going on from visit to visit. This Doc does not always listen to what you say anyhow. My husband will be with me from now on, so that this doc can't change his story from month to month. He does not tell you of procedure changes until they have been in effect for months and says that "You new about this" but you actually did not. Thats because you were never told. But thanks for all the info and if anyone else hears anything please let me know.
    Thanks Again,
    Nadine
  7. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

When I filled out the paper work to be seen by a pain mgmt dr,one of the form was a consent to have drug testing done at random.When ever the Dr decided to say ok time for drug test you have to take it or be dimissed from the pain mgmt clinic is what stated on the consent form I signed and my insurance co will pay for it..Sad I know,but I guess this is one way can tell if someone is abusing the medications and makes it harder for the people who really need the medications to just get the day...
    Marianne
  8. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I would not take it to personal about the Doc asking for a drug Screen other then, I can understand about you shouldnt have to pay for it.

Many doctors and almost all Pain Clinic's are now doing drug Screening. As someone posted above alot of the pain clinics make you sign papers before hand that you will agree to being drug tested.

They are really cracking down on doctors to do this. It's the people who go in getting pain medication just to bring out on the street and sale or abuse it themseleves...Thats who we have to thank for this. You know the saying one bad apple ruins the bunch. It's really sad because it really takes from those, who do truly need pain medication or at least makes it harder for them.

I have not been ask to take a drug test and would not have a problem with doing so. I would not be suprised if eventually my doctor begins asking as well.

Hugs
    Bluerose
  9. achy

achy New Member

These are new regulations from DEA..drug enforcement agency.
    Same with the 30 day visit for prescription.

I used to get a 3 month prescription thru the mail, but they won't allow it anymore. ITs going to cost me 3 times as much pr month!!

I can understand why, but I don't agree.

achy
  10. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

A lot of docs, including pain managment ones, can and do ask for random testing to protect themselves from patients who see many doctors and get drugs from all of them, or fromt hose who are using their meds in inappropriate doses.

If they institute this, they can defend themselves from overzealous government people who swoop in on the docs, thinking thy are giving out prescriptions inappropriately.

I would not hesitate to give a test, let them look.

However, I will be frank, as I was subject to random drug testing as a medical professional, and some tests are not very accurate, and one company which was doing testing for the military took the contract at such a low price, in order to get it, that they weren't even running the tests, they just reported positives on so many, at random.

They were discovered when a very high up officer was given a positive.

For myself, I had arranged to see my internal med guy the very day of the test, and to have a top-flight test done by himon the very day of the random test, at my cost, which was about $100 at the time, in order to protect myself.

$100 is a lot of money, but it protected me from false positives and got a test which was so defined that it could differentiate between things to definitively clear up discrepancies, as cheaper the test, the less likely it is to differentiate between certain things.

This is just a thought, especially if your relationship with a certain doctor is absolutely imperative, to prevent yourself from being branded unfairly, or to keep a job.

I suggested this approach to a friend who was protected from a false positive she had at her workplace. The test done by her employer tested positive, but they used a cheaper test by a company not as well thought of, and when her really good test, from an exemplary company, performed on the very day was negative, it kept her from coming under suspicion. She said it was the best $100 and the best advice she had every received.