Dr Bateman at confrence info...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by erinwilburn, Sep 13, 2008.

1. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

Dr. Kathleen Light from the University of Utah spoke at the conference I attended today the following is the information she gave us on a power point. She emphasized that this is truly the beginning of research in this area and the findings have been considered to be too small to be published but are so important.
    New Helpful Biomarkers in CFS and FMS
    Paradox in FMS and CFS:
    *Gradual increase in whole body exercise is one of the most effective treatments to slowly reduce symptoms and normalize function
    *Yet exercise even at a moderate level causes worsening of pain and fatigue symptoms in study group patients at 24 and 48 hours later, and sometimes much longer

Legal and Scientific Consideration of the Exercise Test --- Margaret Ciccolella, EdD, JD; Staci R. Stevens, MA; Christopher R. Snell, PhD; J. Mark Van Ness, PhD, (University of the Pacific, Stokton, CA) Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2007, 14:7-23

*A standardized bicycle exercise protocol to at least 85% of predicted maximum heart rate was repeated twice 24 hours apart in 6 CFS patients and six normal controls.
    *Controls showed only 2-3% change in oxygen consumption from test 1 to test 2 while CFS patients declined by an average of 22-27% based upon premise that test-retest variability should not exceed 8% this study indicates significant impaired metabolic capacity 24 hours after initial exercise test in CFS patients.

*This is at the same time period when CFS and FMS patients report increases in muscle pain and fatigue even at rest or during simple movements.

*We ask: can we find blood-based biomarkers that are associated with this exaggerated delayed onset muscle pain and fatigue in CFS and FMS patients?
    So this was the info found in the study that the Uof U has now done on a slightly larger scale. So there are a lot of scientific words in the next info but if you can get past that the data speaks for itself.
    Our R21 pilot study uses 5 blood samples before and up to 48 hours after moderate exercise.

*Current sample: 20 with CFS and 17 healthy controls. 15 of the 20 with CFS also have FMS

*Do CFS patients show greater increases than controls in ion channel receptors on white blood cells after 25 min of whole-body exercise at 70% of age-predicated maximum heart rate ( this is less than the above study)

*are these differences maintained at 24 or 48 hours after exercise, when muscle pain and fatigue worsen?
    *Beginning at 30 min. after exercise and continuing at 8, 24 and 48 hours after exercise, CFS patients with and without FMS increased one ion channel receptor (type P) to 4 times its pre exercise level. Healthy subjects showed no increase at all. Based on animal research this type of receptor seems especially sensitive to fatigue.

*Beginning at 30 min. after exercise and continuing at 8, 24 and 48 hours after exercise, CFS patients with and without FMS increased one ion channel receptor (type A) to 2 times its pre exercise level. Again healthy subjects showed no increase at all. This receptor is sensitive to both muscle pain and fatigue.

So what I get from this is that they have found a blood based test that shows that we have changes in our bodies after even very light exercise that “normal” people don’t. But again they have only tested a total of 6 people in CA and 20 in UT but I think it sounds promising. She then talked about why this testing is so important…the medical community responds mainly to hard evidence i.e. blood tests.
    Then Lucinda Bateman talked about gene studies, it was hard for me to understand but it was also the last 30min of a 4 hour conference and everyone was fading fast. But here is what I did understand…

Genomic studies identify differently expressed genes in numerous pathways. When they compared the genes of CFS/FMS patients against normal healthy DNA they found 88 genes where different from normal controls! The biggest problem right now is that the tests are so expensive and not yet completely proven. But oh my word 88 differences!

So they also talked about the idea that we are genetically predisposed to FMS/CFS but it is only triggered after a traumatic event in our lives. They also said that those who have FMS in their family history are 8.5 times more likely to be dx themselves which so made me think about my family.

We also screened the movie “What Fibromyalgia taught me” Please try to track down a copy. It was so moving and is the perfect thing to show family who just won’t get it. The film makers where there and it was so great to be able to thank them in person for the work they have done. It made a greater impact on me because it came from the daughters point of view who when her mom was first dx did not believe in FMS at all.
    So I know this is a lot of not so strong info but it shows that we are moving forward!