Dr Bell (methadone)????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Aug 17, 2011.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Has anyone tried Methadone for pain? Really great article by Dr Bell at top of page.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

this is an encouraging thread about it
    I am wondering if could do minute dose, like .25mg a day once or twice
    wondering what equiv to 1 darvon or 1 vicodin a day is

will let u know if find out stuff please do the same
  3. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi hensue!

I have CFS and fibro and I think I have tried pretty much every pain med on the market. When I was put on methadone I remember it was twice daily but do not remember how many mg. The methadone made me soooooo tired, way more than I already was so after about a week I went off of it. My dr. put me on Vicodin about 5 years ago and I have been on it ever since (as needed). I take 2-3 10/325 mg. daily when I am in a flare, have a migraine or just bad fibro pain. It works wonderfully for me and it is the ONLY pain med I have ever tried that doesn't make me tired at all. In fact, it sort of "perks" me up for about 2-3 hours and my fatigue is nearly gone. I don't know if this helps or not but thought maybe you would have the same results if you tried the Vicodin. BTW, my sis also has CFS and fibro and Vicodin works the same way for her! Good luck in finding the right pain med as it is so important for those of us who really need to take them at times!

Faith, Peace and Comfort, Julie
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I took Methadone 10mg along w Norco in order to reduce some of the peaks and valleys when the Norco would wear off. Took it for about a yr or so.

I have posted my story in the past, had to keep increasing my Hydrocodone dose over about a 3.5 yr stretch, due to my tolerance building up. The methadone seemed to help, but I eventually decided to detox off all narcotics, became worried and physically dependent. Been off of narcs since Feb 2010 and my pain levels greatly decreased.

I do think the Methadone was harder to detox from than the Hydro tho, it has a much longer half life and you must be careful w it. It was originally used as a pain med tho, before it became known as a replacement for heroin etc.

Yet another pain med w a bad reputation, too bad. But, hey if it helps us folks w constant pain, anyone should feel free to try it if they feel the need. Good luck to you all, do what you have to do to have a better quality of life!