Dr. Byron Hyde's book on ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoenixrising2, Sep 19, 2006.

1. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

Has anyone ordered or read "The Clinical and Scientific Basis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Dr. Byron Hyde, Chairman of the Nightingale Research Foundation?

I would love to get my hands on one, but don't want to shell out $49 plus shipping on something I might not be able to get through or even understand.

The site says it's a 725 page encyclopedia on the disease and is good for both the layperson and doctors. Sure wish my doctor would order it and let me read it. Don't I wish?!!

Hugs,

Phoenix

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

I ordered it ages ago and managed to read bits of it here and there. It's very interesting and contains some good scientific research articles. It came out in 1992, but much of what's in it is still relevant today. Parts of it are really hard to digest and understand. But other sections, especially pictures of SPECT scans of the brain, are really neat and quite easy to figure out.

I got a special deal on it through the Nightingale Foundation at the time. They are a non-profit, and I guess they're trying to raise money by selling this book.

You might check to see if the Dallas-Fort Worth CFS Support Group has a copy they'd be willing to lend. Have you checked Amazon.com or your library?

It would be great if doctors read this!
  3. phoenixrising2

Mezombie and Hayley for your suggestions.

I would never have thought of contacting the Dallas-Fort Worth support group. That's a good idea.

Also, I don't know why I didn't think of Amazon or Barnes & Noble. I guess I just didn't think it would be there. I'm going to check there and if they don't have it, I will contact the support group.

Mezombie, I'm glad to know that it's easy to understand and is still relevant.

Thanks to both of you!

Hugs,

Phoenix

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I am on a CFIDS research kick; I'm almost done with the remarkable OSLER'S WEB and want to learn more. I'm also fighting for private long-term disability, so the more I learn, the better.

I am very interested in getting my hands on Hyde's book.

I think I'll try interlibrary loan first.

Kholmes

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

with the Los Angeles Library. I have commented on the "improved" computer system before.

A search on the title brought up a book on WWII, a book about tea, and a couple dozens book written in Chinese.

Oh well...
  6. phoenixrising2

You brought up some interesting things there. I'm glad the system is "improved". I like books on WWII and I like to drink tea. By the way, do you read Chinese? :0)

Hayleycole: I looked on Amazon, too. Geez, it looks like I'm going to have to pay that if I buy it. You'd think there would be some inexpensive used ones since it was published in 1992. It must be a good one.

Phoenix
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

I had the book and have read almost every single article in it.

It is well worth the price if you want to learn; however, even tho' many of the research articles have been replicated over and over, don't count on your dr ever having heard of them, or testing or treating you because of them, LOL.

It is very scientific; however, if you have been on this board for awhile, you already have an undergraduate's degree in science, chemistry, biology and medicine, so go for it!

Let us know what you think...

There's always hope!
    findmind
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Nope, don't read Chinese. But my partner is Chinese. He speaks Cantonese, but only knows a few written characters.

The library had a perfectly fine system. I wonder how much they paid for the this electronic Rube Goldberg snafu.
  9. phoenixrising2

Good grief! Maybe we better quit looking. LOL

Maybe the first price wasn't so bad after all.

Thank you for looking.

Hugs,

Phoenix