Dr. Chia on TV

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Dec 11, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Today on "Healthbeat" (a local Torrance cable tv program sponsored by Torrance Memorial Hospital) there was a panel of doctors, including Dr. John Chia discussing CFS and Fibromyalgia.

He is convinced CFS is caused by enteroviruses that attack the immune system and are like weeds to get rid of.

These enteroviruses can hide anywhere in the body, ie digestive system, and cause all sorts of problems. He was adamant CFS and Fibro are not in people's heads and must be treated aggresively.

The treatment depends on each individual and their lab results. He tests DNA for the viruses. One treatment he does is "interferon" for CFS which has helped some but is very expensive - but the person did have remission. He discussed many treatments including months of Zithromax, certain supplements, gamma globulin - there was over 50 things on his list.

One thing he said you should never take prednisone if you have CFS. For a while you will feel much better, then will get much worse because of your compromised immune system.

The infections/viruses he talked about were scary.

Dr. Chia has been researching CFS and Fibro for ten years now. It started with him because his own son came down with CFS.

He discussed patients who had remissions for 15 months then relapsed after overdoing it.

For fibro patients he does not recommend aerobic exercise - just gentle walking.

I made notes I will try to post later.

2. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff.

"For fibro patients he does not recommend aerobic exercise - just gentle walking."

I have found this to be very true. I do water therapy with a few fellow Fibro sufferers and I never have them do the "true" aqua aerobics. We water walk and do slow, resistance moves that help build muscle strength. We alternate this with "float time" and then stretch really well when we are done......then it's off to the hot tub. This is tolerated much better.

Lynna
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

They are running this "panel discussion" all week on the Cox cable station here in Torrance, CA. If anyone lives in the area - it called Healthbeat.

One doctor highly recommended Carnitine 500-1000 mg for fibro patients. She said it helped alot of her patients pain.

Dr. Chia said only gentle walking for fibro patients. Never aerobics.

If anyone lives in S. California area, and has CFS - I definitely would consider trying to see Dr. Chia. You must be referred by your primary doctor.

One CFS patient he treated with Interferon went into complete remission for 15 months. She really went overboard with the physical activity and wound up sick again.

Too bad I cannot remember more of the discussion but I don't want to put wrong info here.