Dr. Conley's newsletter (portion)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cherylsue, Mar 4, 2007.

1. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

From Dr. Edward Conley, Flint, Michigan, CFS doc

This is a bit uplifting, and maybe can help ease the discomfort of CFS/FM a bit.

"HOW CAN YOU START TO HARNESS THE POWER OF YOUR MIND?

I am in the process of making a CD on the self-hypnosis, positive imagery techniques I teach in the clinic. We are working to integrate these fantastic techniques into the treatment plan of each and every person I see. In the future I hope to have these techniques available to order on vitalhealthcenter or through the clinic. In the mean time there are several steps you can take now. (1) The easiest first step is every night as you are going to bed take 5-10 minutes to visualize how you want to feel in 30 days or 6 months. Don't just look at it like an observer from the outside but actually feel how it will feel to be healthy or healthier. What your muscles will feel like, how your body will feel. See the day, feel the wind or the sun...make it as real as if you were there (I used to work with Olympic athletes on these very same visualization techniques...where they actually feel the performance or race...what the crowd sounds like, how their feet feel as they hit the ground, how the air feels as it flows around their body as they fly down the track...etc). The closer you come to actually feeling yourself getting healthy as you visualize the more effective these techniques will be. (as always the longer you practice the better you get...to where after a few months of doing this it will be second nature)

SUMMARY

No matter how much pain or how exhausted you are......you must focus on how good you are going to feel in the future. This is perhaps the most difficult homework I give my patients, I know, but it must be done. Work on visualization every day. I don't know why but it seems like we must constantly work on positive visualization when negative thoughts seem to come without much work at all. (I guess its like staying in shape, we have to work at walking, weights, eating right etc...the fat seems to come just fine without much work!) Even if you have cancer you must work on visualizing yourself as being healthy....and how good you are going to feel. (I have many patients with cancer for whom I design a program to help them survive chemotherapy/radiation. I always incorporate this into their program.) I have a friend that races Nascar type cars at 180 mph plus. When you are training to be a race driver you are driving around this track at 150mph when the instructor hits the brakes (the instructor is in the passengers seat). This of course sends you into a skid. Now where do you NOT want to go if you are in a skid at 150 mph? The WALL!! What do you look at the minute you go into the skid? THE WALL. My friend said that the instructor takes his hands and snaps your head around so that you are looking down the track...because if you are to have any chance of pulling out of the skid you must look at where you want to go...which is down the track. If you continue to look at the wall that is exactly where you will end up...and while I've never crashed at 150 mph my bet is that would hurt (or even kill you). The moral of the story is that you must focus on where you want to go, which is healthy not on what you fear most (which is staying sick or getting worse). Your body needs direction and will take whatever instructions you give it..so do positive visualization everyday and then when we combine it with cutting edge medical treatment..you have a dynamic one-two punch that will help you regain the health you deserve!"

As stated above, it may help a bit. It certainly isn't a cure. It is sort of like THE SECRET as seen on Oprah.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

By now, all y'all know that I am a BIG fan of visualization and using the mind to help heal body and spirit. Dr. Conley's book is really the first thing I ever read about our illnesses. He seems like a kind man and good doc.

When I was learning to fly, I used to "fly the table." Students are taught to sit at the table and visualize themselves flying the traffic pattern and landing the plane. I have a trestle table and used to put my feet on it to pretend I was using the rudders. I would visualize cross winds and all kinds of things. It really helped. There is so much going on at a busy airport when one is learning to land a plane that just practicing in one's mind helps so much.

I do exactly as the doc suggests here and visualize my body as strong and healthy no matter how I am feeling. It really does help. Heck, if we believe there is nothing which will help us, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd rather believe I am healthy and have that become a self-fulfilled prophecy. Of course, this is only part of the treatment regimen but, I believe, a vital part. Thanks for posting this.

Love, Mikie
  3. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

It's good to see your name on the board. I know you used to post quite regularly, and I have been thinking about you. I hope your recovery is going smoothly. I've been on this board long enough to consider you "mother" of us all, and I always appreciate your comments.

Hugs,
    CherylSue
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are so sweet. I've always read and enjoyed your posts. You always have good info and opinions.

Almost all of 2006, I was not online much because of my being sick with my gallbladder, my abcessed tooth, and the flu. Oy! I am finally starting to feel so much better again and I'm not online much because I'm busy. I do try to scan the posts, though, to see if there's something up my alley.

I hope you are well. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I'm so glad you are feeling better. I was concerned about your recovery. I knew you had a few surgeries, but I didn't know about the flu.

Best wishes for a healthier 2007.

Love,
    CherylSue
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I REALLY like Bellaruth Naparstek's Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue CD. There's lots of positive thoughts, some relaxation techniques and affirmations. I play it when I go to bed. As soon as I hear her voice I drift off. ZZZZZ

I started taking private Yoga instruction last Friday. The NP that teaches yoga has FM and says she was healed through yoga, dietary changes and acupuncture. She belives in tailoring the yoga to the person and not the person to the yoga. My daughter suggested Rodney Yee but I can't get into half of the positions with my knee replacement.

She's teaching me how to breathe properly. This yoga style is more like moving meditation. One thing she suggested was to exhale out the physical and emotional pain.

I have long believed that hope can cause physical and healing changes. Now doctors are finding proof of this.

http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=news_111505c
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope this year bring you health, wealth, and happiness.

I'm bumping this because the message is so good. Whether one uses meditation, visualization, Yoga, Tai Chi, whatever, it can really be an important part of reducing stress and helping with healing.

Love, Mikie