Dr Dean Eddel

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mymichelina, Sep 24, 2006.

1. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

My sister told me yesterday that she was listening to Dr Dean Eddels radio show and he was talking about a study done in Europe that resulted in Fibromyalgia being a psychological problem...all in our heads. She felt that he was in agreement with this study. Can you believe it? Back to the stone age? VERY frustrating to have a high profile Doctor who has own radio show and appears on news programs to throw this out to the public who we already struggle to explain our pain. What do you think?
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

that's all I have to say. This entire array of illness is all in our heads??? Maybe I need to have my head removed.
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

He must have looked for studies that agreed with his opinion. There are hundreds of studies, most of them disagree strongly with the study he spoke about.

Contact him and ask where to find this perticular study.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2006]
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Its comeing out in all kinds of medicalstudies and books that it is not in our heads.Hes behind in the studies if he thinks it is.
  5. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

Doing a search I found this review on Amazon regarding his book "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Healthiness" As you can see this was back in 2004.

Do Your Homework, Doctor!, May 28, 2004
    Reviewer: A reader
    As a along time sufferer of Fibromyalgia (FMS), I was horrified to see Dr. Edell haul out that old and thoroughly disproven idea that it is a psychological illness. I am a psychiatric social worker, and have had umpteen tests, all normal. Many studies have shown no more psych problems than in any pain syndrome. This illness has ruined the lives of 10 million (mostly) women in the prime of their lives. Hey Doc, read the functional MRI studies, the SPECT and PET scan studies, the cardiomyopathy studies, the cortisol stimulation studies, the somatatomedin C/growth hormone studies, and I could go on an on. It must be sheer laziness not to know the research overwhelmingly proves the reality of this illness. And while you're at it, read the World Health Organization's position paper on FMS, in which they state it is one of the three top morbidity illnesses affecting the human race. We are in enough pain and misery already without having an ignorant doctor casually trashing us in a book. This makes me wonder how many other errors are in this book. Shame on you!

So it is not only on Radio Programs.
    Thanks for your responses!
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I've felt that he thought that, for a long time. However, to say that any illness has a psychological component doesen't mean it is "all in one's head". It can also mean that emotional and psychological factors make it worse, or set the stage for it..

Still, I'm disapponted in him. I listened to him for many years, and he is surprisingly narrow minded in some areas, and surprisingly brilliant in others.

Terry.
  7. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

Thanks to all of you for responding...it is good to feel heard...my pain makes it difficult to type much...

Hugs
  8. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I USED to listen to him all the time and thoguht he was great.. then I heard his little answer to the fibro question and away he went like an idiot not having a clue of what IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! MAde me SO MAD~I QUIT listening to him.
    Its terrible to have a dr blab on about this and you know how wrong he is and hes telling the listeners out there bad info and away we go back YEARS again!

I would really like to know what he bases his opinions/info on. Has he even read anything at all?? HAs he heard of ONE study and thats it????

I gotta leave now before I get angry.

At least we all know the truth. HA!
  9. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I USED to listen to him all the time and thoguht he was great.. then I heard his little answer to the fibro question and away he went like an idiot not having a clue of what IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! MAde me SO MAD~I QUIT listening to him.
    Its terrible to have a dr blab on about this and you know how wrong he is and hes telling the listeners out there bad info and away we go back YEARS again!

I would really like to know what he bases his opinions/info on. Has he even read anything at all?? HAs he heard of ONE study and thats it????

I gotta leave now before I get angry.

At least we all know the truth. HA!