Dr. Dean Edell's comments on the radio

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Mar 2, 2007.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was doing something else and realized he was speaking of CF. He does not believe in it. It is a garbage can syndrome
    Said "they" had lists of what CFs suffered with and their diseases included MCS which is not an disease and people that have MCS has it because of their mind. Forget exactly how he said it.......but meant that we created our problems and the CF by the way we thought.......He was smirking and being arrogant about all of it.

I never did like him. He even said that if he had a painful disease he would grow and use Marijuana. That even if you was caught and charged, sympathy groups would come to your rescue to bail you out.

No lie.......from a professional Dr. on his talk show...wow.
  2. MKate

MKate New Member

I wouldn't have thought he would have that opinion. Much of the nutritional advise he gives is exactly things I'm doing anyway and he's usually really good about alot of issues.

Perhaps we need to get his e-mail address and start e-mailing studies to him....Perhaps he means that there are no studies to back it up ---???!!!!

REally surprised - and how disappointing for such a public figure!

MKATE
  3. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

this is the only email i could find at his webite for contact - comments@healthcentral.com

i wish i would have heard his broadcast. i do not have cf/fm but have had more than one dr. tell me my health problems are in my head... i hold a special affection for those kinds of arrogant and ignorant people - really makes me sick and i have to verbally control myself when in their presence.
  4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I'd like to hear Dr. Edell name one syndrome that is a disease. The whole point of the classification of syndrome is that they have not been able to zero in on a disease. So he's making a big deal out of this, without adding context, is nothing but showboating.

OTOH, if he was saying that CFS has become a catch-all that goes beyond how it should be used, well, maybe he has a point.

5. MsE

MsE New Member

Dr. Edell tends to come across as a know-it-all every now and then. His view on CFS is sad and uninformed. OR, he is one of those docs who made up his mind years ago, doggone it, and nothing is going to make him change it now because he doesn't want to appear inconsistent. Who knows? But on this one, the guy is dead wrong and all of us know it.

As for marijuana--well, I think people dealing with chronic pain should be allowed to use it, and quite a few States have now enacted laws to see to it that they can. I think it should be regulated but available to fight painful diseases. So, I tend to agree with him on that issue.

6. MKate

MKate New Member

Hi --

Wow -- great responses for SUE1. Sue - do you feel you can e-mail articles to him? Do you need ideas for the articles.

I guess we could just advise that you use the ones from the ProHealth site -- then he'd have access to the entire site!@

Haha ---- we can add the "letter" also.

Well, I'm all for educating him. If we can turn him around, then he'd be a great advocate for science, and more understanding and respect with the general public.

MKATE
  7. ladude

ladude New Member

Dean IDIOT Edel -

this stooge is merely a hack, and a front man for the drug companies, always has been always will. They can do no wrong and all vitamins are a waste of money, each week he whines on about how bad all vitamins are but never mentions the flawed drug studies that minimize the side effects of drugs. While somehow unable to find thousands of research studies from around the world that shows the positive benefits of supplements.

talkers.com lists the ratings of radio talk show hosts, and he is noooo where near the top.

LAdude
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2007]
  8. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I don't even care to understand why a dr. would say such stupid things! I only have one thing to say about all of the people like him.. There is a very SPECIAL PLACE IN HELL for them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

Just checking in. I have a headache, neck stiff, glands sore along with throat and a fever off and on. You know....the usual.Tummy upset.

I am not up to even try to send him anything. I feel to bad to think and I do not know if it would even get through to him.
    Everyone is expressing it so well. Doxy, you are a real sweetie. We have lots of really good folks here.

I am going to lie back down.....OH.....I did post at the Cleveland paper many many hrs. ago. Early Sat. AM. Still not showing. It has to be looked at first......maybe being the week end makes a difference.Love, Susan
  10. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

since he lacks the knowlege he claims to have. From what I recall back in the early 80's, when he first started claiming CEBV (Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus)and then CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome) were not real illnesses, I asked around to learn what I could about him and his claims to be an 'expert'.

I learned his specialty was opthamology and that he practiced clinically only 2 years. (Not much actual experience.) He has mostly gotten his information from reading journals. This might be all right if he didn't pose as having comprehensive knowlege in depth about CFIDS. And later, he has pretended to have comprehensive knowlege about Fibromyalgia and also claimed this condition 'wasn't real'. In my opinion, this is tantamount to accusing the persons with these syndromes are malingerers!

By contrast, my diagnosis is from a doctor at a major medical center, research and teaching university. His background is as department head, for over a decade, in allergy and infectious disease. He is a 'fellow' in internal medicine and is deeply familiar with, and has studied these syndromes (CFIDS and Fibromyalgy) for at least 23 years. He and others in the rheumatology dept. of this medical center confer continually on these syndromes and share what they've learned on an ongoing basis. He, and all I've met, maintain attitudes of learned humility.

Their attitudes are in stark contrast to Dean Adell,whose attitude of self-righteous arrogance. I became furious as he maintained his pretense of knowing about conditions about which he hasn't a clue!

That is, when I heard him years ago on a L.A. radio station. Since I was suffering greatly from the conditions he was claiming to be non-existent, I simply couldn't bear to listen to him. He may be saying something different now but he's lost any trust I may have had in his judgement!

I believe media 'expert docs' (including psychologists and other so-called experts) giving their unsubstantiated opinions do a lot of damage as many people without much information will tend to believe tham. (Also, these so-called experts make the very common mistake of naive and ignorant researchers of mistaking correlative factors for causal factors!)

It is apparent to me, that many of the people posting on this message board know a great deal more about these complicated syndromes and have studed more than many of the media 'experts' and yet are humble, careful and cautious in expressing their opinions--and are not as dogmatic as media 'experts' like Adell.

I appreciate reading and considering the opinions expressed here because of the attitudes of humility and open-mindedness with which they are presented.

Thanks, Sues, for bringing this man's ignorance to our attention, so maybe we can help prevent his comments from damaging people who are already hurting--at least, to some degree.

With love, Dorothy