Dr. DeMeirler visit to Belgium Pluis can you write?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ruti, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ruti

ruti Member

I am planning to fly to Belgium next month to get a diagnosos from Dr. DeMeirler
    I appreciate any advice you can give me about the visit.
    Pluis, You mentiones a while a go you saw him. please write.
    I want to lower the costs and I don't have an insurence that will pay for that. I wanted to do standard tests before I come.

Thanks Ruti
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

why demeirleir? there are many doctors in the US who may take your insurance....

just curious...
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

I highly suggest you visit the national cfids foundation website (ncf-net.org).

They have a newsletter quarterly.

They have printed articles (can be seen on site) of patients who have paid out hundreds of thousands of dollars for his treatments and as soon as they go off it, their illness is back.

Please do lots of research!

Caring about you,
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

wow! that is interesting. thanks for posting this.

personally, i feel that demeirleir's use of antibiotics is a little strange, but i have never seen him so i cannot comment.

i suppose there really isn't any treatment right now that you can stop and still maintain wellness.

5. wldhrt

wldhrt New Member

I believe DeMeirler thinks that based on Immunobilan testing, short courses of antibiotics are useful. When there are bacteria species in the blood that are supposed to be contained in the gut, you've basically got a chronic systemic infection. The problem is once you stop the ABx, the infection returns, based on hyper-permeability of the gut - the bacteria "leaks" out. So unless you treat the leaky gut, those "gut bugs" will keep getting into the system.
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i believe demeirleir also uses antibiotics as elastase inhibitors (anti-inflammatories)..though i could be wrong.

he has a patent on treating CFS and MS using antibiotics as anti-inflammatories...

7. victoria

victoria New Member

Test results had to be done there... and paid for in full before being released to Dr. DeMerlier. She had no insurance either. Paying by credit card for some reason was very difficult (kept getting denied even while she was on the phone with the credit card company working on getting it to go thru... took something like 3-4 months to get all of the results).

She really had high hopes, but didn't find any strong evidence of anything; however was told to start with candida diet & med, not sure what after that.

She's been disabled for 20 years. I'm sure she'd say that it's still worth a try, altho I tend to agree there's likely doctors here that could do about the same - not sure if there's a test specifically that is only available there that is not available here, tho -?

good luck!

8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi findmind. i am unable to find the articles about demeirleir patients that you eluded to. would you mind giving me a link?

thank you:)