Dr did not charge for my "appt"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Dec 22, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I could not get a ride to my Dr's appt today, so I called and asked if it was possible to have it over the phone......talked to him for a good half hour, then when it was time to pay, he said, "Don't worry about it. You don't have any money. Merry Christmas!" Wow!!!!! I am just blown away. That was really cool of him. (The part about me not having any money was not insulting though it might sound that way - we had just been talking about treatment options and weighing whether it would be worth trying something that would be expensive and might not help at all, so he is quite clear on my financial situation.)

Anyway, just wanted to share this, bc it is so nice to have a Dr who truly does understand (that CFS is real and that I am broke)....and not having to pay is a really nice Christmas gift.
  2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

God bless the doctors who truly care about us.

Christmas Hugs,
  3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

What a wonderful thing to happen :)
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Your doctor is one in a million - Merry Christmas!

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It's nice to be able to share somethign good for a change.....and my doctor is a Christian so it DID give my faith a little boost that he did that.....yeah, he definitely is "one in a million"

and Jam, I'm sorry to hear that your doc charged you for a script that you didn't get - I have heard about drs charging for missing appts, but not for missing scripts.....it is good that you have one who takes Medicare, though.....that is one thing that mine does not do and I really cannot afford his appts, but at the same time he is worth it
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While I would love my doctor's to do a "phone appointment" or make house calls, when I asked my psychiatrist to do this when I could not make an appointment, he said he could lose his medical license if he did an appointment by phone.

Could this be because he is a psychiatrist? Possibly a state thing? The reason I ask is that he was a great psychiatrist and very flexible in many things. Maybe because he is not Christian?

I doubt the latter but it is not only Christians who have the generosity gene. I don't think this is what you meant but it could be construed as this.

Just wondering.

7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have had many, many counseling sessions on the phone, and have now had a regular doc appt over the phone, too....I know that most people in the psych field can and will do phone sessions - I guess psychiatrists have different rules governing them than counselors, social workers, and psychologists....and regular MD's do....I don't see a psychiatrist, so I have not tried to have a phone session with one....anyway, sorry I don't really have the answer as to why yours wouldn't do a phone session - I do know that Christians in the psych field and/or the medical field still have to abide by the same rules as all the rest when it comes to licensure and what is considered ethical, etc

as to my Christian comment, I absolutely know that there are plenty of people who are not Christians who are quite generous and compassionate - I certainly didn't intend to imply otherwise - I was mostly making that statement in response to what someone else had posted about the free Dr appt "restoring" faith (and I guess that could have been intended to mean faith in people or Drs, not necessarily Christian faith)

(Unfortunately, I also know some people who say they are Christians who do not show much of anything in the way of compassion or generosity.....I find that very sad, but I mention it just to reiterate that I did not intend for my comment to say that Christians have a corner on caring behavior)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/23/2009]
  8. cynicaldog

cynicaldog New Member

This was the second year in a row that one of our doctors wrote us a personal check to help us pay for our medication. I've been so incredibly touched by the generosity of "acquaintances", especially in the face of a lack of support and understanding from blood relatives.
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

oh, I guess I misunderstood.....I'm glad it wasn't as bad as i thought
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

very cool : ) - I mean the part about the Drs obviously - the second part of what you wrote is sad
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I could not agree with you more that there are all kinds of people on a continuum in any religion. I think I was trying to make a joke. Obviously, not a good one.

I really wish more doctor's would make house calls to those who have difficulty getting out or are geographically isolated. I have read of a few places doing this.

My BIL and some of his partners give at least 10% of their salary to help people who can not afford chemotherapy. This is on top of the 10% he donates to his Church and various other charities. He is not hurting for money but he has always been this way. So it is great to know there are decent doctor's out there.

"Pay it forward."

[This Message was Edited on 12/24/2009]
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sorry I totally missed that you were joking....might be bc I have been extra foggy lately

or it could be bc one of the people I love the most is an atheist and before he moved a yr and a half ago, we had had many, many discussions about all aspects of faith and stuff like this....and in counseling classes and with other friends in the past I have also had similar conversations, and as a result I am extra conscious of the way that some people of differing belief systems view one another.....anyway, I am glad that I didn't offend you

& it is cool that your BIL and some of his partners do that
  13. Wireless

Wireless New Member

Thanks for sharing this, I like to hear about small things that help.