Dr gave me a letter that says I'm totally disabled for the SSA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Thee Ox, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Hi All,
    Thee here, hope you are all doing well.

My doctor has given me a letter for the SSA that says I am totally disabled, reached the pinnacle of my healthcare and treatment, and that I won't get any better. This letter is true, of course, not a fake one, etc.

Based on this letter, how do you all feel about my chances of getting permanent disability? ?

Thanks,
    yer Friend,
    Thee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2009]
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Anytime you have your doctors support it is a great thing:) But they also look at work history, age, and they weight heavily on what their vocational expert says.

Good news is that more and more cases of disability are being approved with FM as the diagnosis.

Good Luck!
    Deb
  3. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Hi Deb,

What's a vocational expert ( I have an idea) and how heavily do they depend on his/her/their advice? Is the voc expert really the SSA doctors?

My rep from Allsup said the fact that I graduated college with an AA degree in 2004 at 47 years of age might go against me. What do you and anyone else think? Please answer me, anyone, on this one cause its keeping me up at nights. Now this vocational expert things will probably add to more sleepless hours!!!

So, Deb, are you saying that even with my doctor saying that I'm totally disabled with no chance of recovery STILL wont actually guarantee a positive decision?

Bottom line is: Is this letter from my doctor going to really help me or not?

Again Deb..Congrats!!! Heres to ya....

Thanks,
    Thee
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Chances are, SSA will want you to be checked by one of their doctors. They will also probably have you do a psych exam also.
  5. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I just read your profile and see that you live in WI also. We live on the WI/IL stateline.

I'll wish you success with your SSD application. I know it can be a very stressful time. I was fortunate to have been awarded on my first try. I filed on my own so I can't give you any suggestions on lawyers, etc.

It's raining here now, which makes me ache even more.

Wishing you all the best.

Another Wisconsinite,
    Mystic
  6. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

will see what jobs are available for you to work.

Since 3/26/09 you say you're drawing unemploymet and applying for 2 different jobs per week, the vocational expert can find what work you can do.
  7. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

unemployment is now over. Why do you think a VE would try to find out what I could do after a doc said I was disabled?

Does a voc expert look at EVERY case of every person who files for disibility?

Thanks,
    Yer pal,
    Thee
  8. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Hi Thee...as to the vocational expert, when you are asked what complaints you have that prevent you from working a vocational expert is then asked with those complaints "is there a job that you could perform?"

That being said, it is really important to stress how the pain and fatigue affect you daily. Using examples, IE: I can no longer shop because I have sharp burning pain across my shoulders when I lift anything heavier than a small bag of sugar. Or, I can no longer walk more than 100 ft. without resting because I suffer stabbing pains in my lower back. I need to nap for 45 minutes 3 times a day because of fatigue.

Being able to specify how you disability affects you gives the judge a "mental image" of your daily struggles.

I have two degrees and I was taking classes and maintaining a 3.97 GPA until I was struck down with FM. FM knocked the very wind out of my sails and derailed my whole life. Did you get your degree while you were sick? Or did FM progress after getting a degree?

The letter from your doctor is very important, if you are denied and it goes to hearing the judge will consider your doctors evaluation. After all you have a history with your doctor not the SS doctors they may send you to.

I'd tell you not to lose sleep over it, but I remember being on "high alert" most of the time I was waiting. It is a very stressful time but try to take care of yourself:)

I hope this helped I have been re-reading this and I'm still confused as to whether I explained this right....lol!

Deb
  9. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

I did pass out at Wal Mart in front of my wife and the security cameras. Passed out in the produce department. Bananas make a great cushion when you pass out and drop to the ground like a sack of potatoes! Clean up in aisle 10!!

Deb, thank you. You have explained so much to me. If you have any other hints, please let me know. You or anyone can email me at: TheeOxandFriends@gmail.com

All of you that may write me at my email addy, please be nice in the emails, ok? I know Deb that yer emails will be uplifting and positive.

I love you Deb. I appreciate your kindness.

Yer pal,

Thee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2009]
  10. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

for your email of positive support. Yeah, Im a cheese head and I like it. As long as the cheese has hot peppers in it.

Thank you again,

Yer Pal.

Thee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2009]