Dr gave me cortef for adrenal insufficiency....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roro, Aug 30, 2002.

1. roro

roro New Member

I expressed concern over the side effects, because he never gives me meds except the occasional antibiotic for a really bad infection. he said I needed it, and there is a big difference between the pharmacological usage of giving someone without adrenal insufficiency prednisone to fight a disease and the physiological usage of giving soemone cortisone when their adrenals fail to make enough. he gave me a paper to read about addison's, and basically if left untreated it could be fatal. He started me on 12.5 mg a day. 7.5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon.
    he also told me to get DHEA, probiotics, and keep taking all the supplements.
    I hope this helps!
    Oh, and he also referred me to a biological dentist to have my amalgams out.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2002]
  2. roro

roro New Member

I expressed concern over the side effects, because he never gives me meds except the occasional antibiotic for a really bad infection. he said I needed it, and there is a big difference between the pharmacological usage of giving someone without adrenal insufficiency prednisone to fight a disease and the physiological usage of giving soemone cortisone when their adrenals fail to make enough. he gave me a paper to read about addison's, and basically if left untreated it could be fatal. He started me on 12.5 mg a day. 7.5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon.
    he also told me to get DHEA, probiotics, and keep taking all the supplements.
    I hope this helps!
    Oh, and he also referred me to a biological dentist to have my amalgams out.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2002]
  3. roro

roro New Member

YIKES! It seems I am on a much higher doese than you. I hope I will be OK. I thought it was a very low dose.
    As for the mercury, my regular dentist said that one of the fillings has to be replaced. Thats how I got started finding out about all this. I told him that my doctor had given me the heavy metals test a while back, but I had never done it. He told me to ask my doctor if i should do the test before or after getting the filling out. As far as i can see, i only have two left. I figure as long as i am getting the one out, why not get the other one out too. i told my doctor about this today, and he recommended the biological dentist. I am worried that the bio dentist wont take my insurance.
    My doctor also wants me to go for a follow-up and discuss the hemex hypercoagulate test, and also IV vitamin C injections for my hepatitis C. My head is spinning thinking about all of this right now.