Dr gave me elavil to take at night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Dec 14, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

She said it will help me sleep and really gave it to me because I am having such a difficult time getting any med to help my depression. I am on 150 mg of effexor at night and I have been very depressed lately. She again mentioned me going on Zyprexa because she thinks my depression is so hard to fix. So, my question is, do any of you think a small dose of elavail at night will help with depression while take effexor?
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi, I take 10 - 20 mg Elavil/Amitriptylene at night for pain & sleeplessness. It's an accepted treatment for fibro. I believe the dose for depression is higher. best wishes, hope it helps you xxx
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Elavil is infamous for causing significant and rapid weight gain as is it's cousin, Flexeril.

Love, Mikie
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

That is one of the first drugs reccommended for FMS. I found that it had a lot of negative effects for me, weight gain, dry mouth which led to peridontal issues, incessant wakefulness after about 5 months of use, and I didn't notice any improvement at all during the day.

This was NOT my favorite drug! I do know that some people have great results...and I hope you are one of those!
  5. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

combined with librium for sleep. Dosage is 100 mg of elavil, 40 mg of librium. I have recently stopped taking it due to a possible allergic reaction (hives). I've been slowly eliminating medications to see which one is the problem - and this one seems to be the culprit. But, it has really helped me up to this point.
  6. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have been on Elavil for at least 8 yrs. I also take it at night. I take 150mg. It has always worked well for me. I recently asked my Dr. to take me off of it due to the cravings for sweets & carbs. He said that he didn't want to because of my depression. So, yes, Elavil helps sleep and depression.

PIRT
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

If it works for anything, it will help you sleep better, and possibly have less pain in the day. It tends to make you hungover at first. I'd try the smallest dose to start.

The tiny sub-clinical dose they give us for fibro isn't near the dose needed for depression. It's an old tricyclic a.d. taht is rarely used anymore because it made everyone so sleepy and fat.

What I'd suggest for depression is get off Effexor, it ain't working, why bother? Try another a.d., maybe try Wellbutrin, it's in a different class and works on different neurotransmitters.

Jeanne
  8. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I am going to try elivil for sleep and pain. I will let you know what it does for me. It's so funny how meds are so different with different people. Thanks again.

Donna

[ advertisement ]