Dr. gave me Lyrica yesterday, Tell me what you know

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzette1954, Apr 19, 2007.

1. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I can always count on someone to know something about just about anything. I was put on Cymbalta last visit and it made me soo sick that I stopped it after 5 days.

So my PCP gave me a mth of samples. I started last night and I was sooo sleepy. Im always tired but not usually sleepy. I thought this is a good thing to get more sleep. But then at 4:30am I had an asthma attack and had to get up and use my inhaler. So much for a full night's sleep.

I woke up so sleepy this morning.

Have you used Lyrica? Are there any side effects other than being sleepy and Im having a really hard time typing this morning.

I have to drive over 2 hrs on Sat and drive back on Sun to see my sister and I cant be this spacey to drive.

Tell me what you know and does it help the FM?

Suzette
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

I was fine with Cymbalta but could not tolerate Lyrica. Do a search on here under "Lyrica". We have had many threads on this.
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

info other than the woozy feeling, sleepy, and weight gain that I cannot have!! I will keep a close watch on the weight. The insert said something about swollen feet and hands and I dont want that either.

Suzette
  4. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

suzette, i took lyrica for about a week and a half...terrible side effects. i was woozy and sick and it gave me horrible nightmares! didnt do anything for the pain. i know these kind of meds are supposedly good for fibro like lyrica and neuronton...but i think for some of us we strictly need pain relief but docs are so weird about perscribing narcotic pain meds. as soon as i told the doc about these side effects he told me to stop taking it and then didnt give me anything else...only painful trigger point injections which left me worse off. needless to say i stopped seeing him, he was a rheumatologist. i think the lyrica does say something about people with asthma taking it b/c i remember reading it and i have asthma and it made me even more nervouse about using it. but maybe it will help for you and the side effects will fade...maybe give it a week or two to test it out. <3 Rachel
  5. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I too had a sample bottle, took 50 mg at bedtime. I gave up after four nights, my hands and feet were so swollen I couldn't stand it.... into the trash can it went!
  6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Hi Suzette, I have been on lyrica for about 8 months now and it has helped me greatly with the pain mind you though I take normal codeine pain killers with it as well am on 150mg a day one in morn and 1 at night. Was like you with sleepiness but it settled down and is actually helping me with the sleep as well BUT not all the time go figure that. I have had to give up work so am lucky i guess I can take my time.....Any ideas on coping with the fatigue
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Suzette ... I guess I will be one of the few positive feedbacks you get ? ... I started it last summer .. felt very sleepy because my doctor was asking me to try it in the morning and evening ..

It was to help nerve pain .. my feet and eventually hands were tingling and burning .. almost like little firecrackers going off in my feet so this was specifically directed for that problem .. not for the general pain of the fibro.
    I am using it only at night and it helped tremendously with sleep issues .. 300 mgs is the does.

BUT ... recently I have had that horrible nerve pain in my face .. it is overwhelming .. so I may have to start taking the Lyrica in the morning again and get used to the sleepy feeling till my body adapts.

Side affects beside sleepiness (and I wouldn't drive on that trip if you are just beginning it) .. maybe a bit more hungry but that stops after a while ..

Everyone is different .. i noticed there are more negative feed backs about Lyrica than positive ones .. but I think the situations are why it is used ..
    Mine is specific nerve pain .. I take other meds for the fibro pain .. they work in unison ..

BUT ... it is worth giving it a reasonable amount of time trying it out ..unless the side affects are too much to handle.
    it works for me with my issues.
    I hope you find out what works for you !
    Good Luck !
    Joy : )
    harmony .. glad it worked for you too !
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007]
  8. achy

achy New Member

I too took it for nerve pain in my shoulders & upper back - not for FM pain.

I started at 75mg working up to 300mg. Everytime I tried to go up past 150 the dopyness was just too much. I was like a zombie. Huuby said I looked like I was "wasn't there".....

Got so bad I couldn't even remeber to take my other meds. I wound up in severe withdrawals from not taking my effexor for 2 days. OMG thought I would die!! I srated tapering my dosege the next day.

I've weaned off, this is 2nd week without it and I still feel foggy. I just can't concentrate. But hubby says he can "see me in here" now....lol lol

try it...you can always stop if you need to. I dsoes help many ppl.

warm fuzzies
    achy
  9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

bump/

Thank you for the responses to this post. I havent taken the Lyrica since yesterday morning and Im still like a zombie!! When I got up from my nap yesterday, it was like Ive been on a 3 day drunk and I dont drink. My words were all slurred and I couldnt walk in a straight line.

I have to go on the trip tomorrow( my nephew is getting married)my only sister's son, so I really have to go but my husband said this morning if Im not alot better, I cant go or he will drive me.

Im so tired of feeling like a test subject!! This DD is hard enough and has changed everything in my life as I knew it and I just cant keep trying new meds from my drs.

Thats how I got to be on 30 different prescriptions to begin with. Im so overweight now I cannot gain anymore.

I realize that the lyrica could help but Im not sure what it will help except sleep. The pain was exactly the same, I do not have nerve problems and again, thank you to all who answered my post.

Suzette
  10. Lisa_b

Lisa_b New Member

Hi there

I tried to tolerate it for about two months. When I got up in the morning I felt like crap. I told doctor I quit taking it because it made me feel so bad. I really can't remember if it helped anything else because the fatigue was so overwhelming I just quit taking it. Hope this helps.

Sincerely, Lisa
  11. TerryS

TerryS Member

It makes me feel DRUNK!!! And there's been weight gain, as well.

I'm considering weaning myself off (been on it since December) and trying a TENS unit instead of drugs. I see my PCP in May, so I'm going to talk to him then.

All that being said, it helped my FM pain incredibly in the beginning. I had to keep upping the dosage every month though as the pain kept sneaking back in. At this point, the pain has out ran the Lyrica, so what's the point???

I know there are quite a few people who have nothing but positive things to say about Lyrica. If you can hang in there with it for a couple of weeks, you may find the side effects go away.

Good luck!

TerryS
  12. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

well the side effects are BAD but it helps nerve pain- i had swollen feet, tired and got fat quick! the pain went down and after taken it for a few months the side effects got a bit better- i take ritilan to help the sleepy side effects it gives- so you may want to ask the Dr for some
    RITILIN or PROVIGIL for energy- I take 900mg in the morning
    it is alot of mgs but i slowly had to increase it before it started to work- also take oxycontin.

i am also on the patient assist program which is great if you have no insurance or little insurance- LYRICA is very expensive-

good luck but give it a chance---
  13. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

My rheumatologist put me on it three weeks ago. So far I see no change in my pain, but I sleep MUCH better, and when I get up in the mornings, it is a little easier.

I also have problems with the woozy "drunk" feeling I get with it - I have to be really careful. I don't know if I'll take it long term because of this. We'll see.

I do enjoy being able to sleep more than four hours at night, and actually feeling sleepy, instead of "tired but wired".

Thanks for allowing me to share my experience!

Debbie
  14. skikat

skikat New Member

hi suzette. i just had to "weigh in" on this one. lol i dont know what it was even given to me for but my hands and feet do swell up terribly. something i didnt have before. nor did i have any depression before,nor did i have a weight problem. but , by golly, i sure do now. i have gained 3 sizes since dr. put me on it and i am MAD! . as a matter of fact i have already cut one pill a day by myself and i am going to do another cut next week! i absolutely KNOW THAT IT CAUSES WEIGHT GAIN because all that i have ever eaten is a bowl of oatmeal and toast when i get up. then late at night i might have 2 small peices of cheese on crackers or a small salad. that is it! no, it is not a good diet to be on, but i simply cannot get hardly anything else down. my diet has not changed in the 5 months that i have been on the lyrica, but my weight sure has and i have talked about it to my dr. 2 last times. no response. so now i am going off it and he can go eat more of his greasy pizza's that he is always telling me about! by the way , he weighs in around 300 pounds. so why would he care if i got fat???? another thing and i dont know if this has anything to do with this or not but. since the lyrica, i am having things go completely NUMB. like my thumb. then traveling up from there to my wrist. you can tell it is nerve damage. and i have NEVER had it before and i have had the fibro for 40 plus years. what else??? lol have a good one all----ski