Dr. Instigated a Flare Up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joanng, Nov 7, 2005.

1. joanng

joanng New Member

I had an appt last night with a new doctor and he poked and proded and pressed and jabbed. Now I'm dying! I have pain down my legs in places I never knew there could be pain. Could it be that he stirred up the pot a bit? I'm just curious....if it is, I'll deal with it as a flare-up but if it isn't, boy am I in trouble cause there is some crazy new pain stuff going on!!! I'm know he was hitting trigger points to be sure I do indeed have fibro but I didn't realize that by doing this (he was pressing really hard) it could instigate such a problem. Thanks!
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I would think that the poking and prodding would do it.
    I had a tooth replaced yesterday - and have a low-grade fever today. Can't be an infection - I'm on abx already.
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

That is what would happen to me everytime I would have PT work out my trigger points. It would really hurt the first few appointments until they were really worked out. He would really cause a flare!

That is probably the same thing that is going on with you with the dr pushing on yours. I would treat it as a flare:(

Wish you well!

Kelly
  4. joanng

joanng New Member

Thank you all very much. I'm new to this site and it's so comforting to be able to reach out and talk to others. The pain is real, I'm not crazy after all!
  5. joanng

joanng New Member

I'm waiting for this to end....I got up this morning and I felt the pain down my legs right to my ankles. It hurt to bend them. My skin hurts to touch and it seems every nerve ending from the waist down is screaming. I hope this passes soon. I guess it's been awhile since I had a flare up..I forgot how bad it could be....I'm feeling very emotional too.
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

More than once I have been poked and prodded by the doctor checking me over and each time it has caused a flare. My doctor told me this is quite normal. Easy for him to say.

Tigger
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

My latest appt with the Rheumy I was in ALOT of PAIn after Trigger Point Test

8. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Yes, I agree that it would/will cause a flare of symptoms and not just pain. When I first started with this 11 years ago we were on vacation at a wonderful resort and I thought I would try a massage. Oh boy did I pay. I was in terrible pain for the next 3 days of vacation. And believe me it was not a cheap vacation. It has only been the last couple of years that I can tolerate deep tissue massage. But even now I pay for a couple of days; nothing like before; that is how I can tell my body is different now. I recover, where as before I did not. Your system can't take that kind of abuse all at once. I think your body is just not strong enough right now to repair all the damage that was done to muslce tissue that was being pressed. I'm not sure why he would press so hard; it is not necessary to diagnose trigger points. But then again how many Dr.s really know about FMS and CFIDS. If it feels inflamed try ice, it helps me. Hang in there joanng.... - Bobby