Dr. John E. Sarno

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NIELK, Aug 25, 2009.

1. NIELK

NIELK Member

Has anyone who read Sarno's books, like healing back pain or a divided mind or attended his seminars in New York been positively affectd by him and his theory of TMS being a conglomerate of physical pain (cfs among them) that them brain uses as a defence mechanism for a psychological unconscious rage that resided inside of us and we would not be able to cope with it would it come up to the surface. So the mind finds different ways to divert us from this rage some of us it is with back pain, migrains, stomach problems, fbromyalgia or cfs. His solution for this is knowledge of what is happening. Once you know and admit to your brain that you know what it is doing, the trick is up and it has no reason to continue doing and using this pain. According to him, it has worked with 90% of his patients andevenjust with people who have read his books. I am curious to see if anyone onthis board has any experience with this and whether it is positive.
    Thank you,
    Gabby
  2. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

I have the mind body prescription by Dr. Sarnos. Its a tough one to swallow as I dont believe any of us are sick BECAUSE of our mind. I do however, believe the mind is VERY powerful in keeping us sick.

There is a 60 minutes clip somewhere out there...??? One of the main guys went through the program and his back pain is completely healed now. He had horrible, chronic pain.

My attitude has been paramount in times that I am feeling better and the times I am worse. I just havent figured out how to harness it. It takes constant reminding and discipline. That is hard to do when every part of you is saying, you have this awful virus and you have to get help now...etc.

Anyway, the book would OUTRAGE some. I found it very interesting though. I still think that the mind is a very important PIECE of this puzzle.

Michelle

3. NIELK

NIELK Member

When I first started reading his books, I was very angry. He implies that being that there is a mind-body connection, our mind is coming up with some painful diseases to distract us from an inner unconscious rage that we have. Supposedly, once we acknowledge this fact, the disease dissipates, because the trick of the brain doesn't work anymore. I was very upset by this because #1 cfs is very real and so are other diseases which he bunches together in the same categories. (he doesn't deny this)#2 how does he know about this supposed rage? #3 He is an Orthopedist. What does he know about the brain & how it functions.

But since then, I have heard of several people who have been healed by him. Many of them just by reading his books. Just two weeks ago I personally met a young man who 3 years ago couldn't get out of bed. He told me that he read Dr. Sarno's book and something clicked in him and he started getting better,
    . He kept rereading it till he got all better. Now he is full functioning. (he had come to my house to fix my air conditioner just by chance we started talking about cfs)
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

groan!!!!
  5. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

Did this guy have CFS or chronic back pain?

The book made me angry too. Alot of the mind body books do. YET, I believe it is a powerful connection for any illness. Sarnos has a pretty cut and dry take on it though. I remember thinking I would have to read it several times to really take it in and have an opinion.

You wont get a favorable response here!!!!

Oh look...first one on it is Gap... ;)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2009]
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have read his stuff, have a MA degree in the field of psychology, know a lot about mind/body connection & absolutely believe it is real, believe that counseling can be very valuable, and STILL THINK THAT THIS IS TOTAL CR@P WHEN USED AS A TREATMENT FOR ME/CFS......the only reason that so many people continue to get away with prescribing this stuff for our illness is bc the stupid CDC keeps spewing their self-serving lies and propaganda and people believe them....no way would so many people get away with prescribing psychological treatments for any other PHYSICAL illness, except as a way to cope with having the illness - not as a treatment for the illness
  7. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Well said.
  8. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

"Has anyone who read Sarno's books, like healing back pain or a divided mind or attended his seminars in New York been positively affectd by him and his theory"

Maybe if you dont apply to the above, you could just move on...

9. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

Oh, Ive been taking this step for MANY years. I have had the mind/body stuff stuffed down my throat my whole life. Ive read about every book out there. It is so hard to apply when you are sick though. Sick and angry. Its taken years for me to come back around to it and realize how the brain and our thoughts are connected to EVERYTHING.

I dont for a minute think it is THE cure for CFS. I actually think it is crucial for being THE cure for ALL diseases. I also think alot of mysterious things play a role in it all of it too though.

All I know is when my mind is in a better place, and I am not on these boards, or I am starting a new treatment I am excited about I begin to feel better. Then I have a bad day and get angry and bitter and it all comes crumbling down. Maybe it is all placebo, but how fascinating is Placebo then? We like to write it off as a reason things we dont believe in work for some people. It actually is a very strong testament to the power of the mind though.

Sarnos has kind of a different take though. It is not just that thoughts affect the body. I dont even know if I agree with him but his success rate with back pain is astounding.

I also understand why these theories make some people so mad.

I would LOVE to know if anyone has success with CFS after reading the Sarnos book.

Now if only my vision would stop going out so I could read that book again...

Michelle
  10. I read his back pain yrs ago. I think if the back pain is from stress, muscle tension that it might work?

Now mind/body may help fibro , less stress, but I don't believe he says mind/body pain and fibro are related that I know of.??

Having said that I may dig out that book and reread it as my low back pain is BAD after two surgeries. You do get desperate. I thought you had to see him to get total relief?
  11. NIELK

NIELK Member

The repair guy that came to my house & was cured by reading Dr. Sarno's book said that he suffered from cfs three years ago. It was so bad that he couldn't get out of bed. After reading Dr. Sarno's more recent books, he claims that not only can he cure back pain, leg & shoulder pain but he includes, cfs, fibromyalgia, migraines, tension headaches, ibs, colitis, ileitis, allergies and more. This repair guy, cured himself just by reading and rereading the book until he really understood and internalized the meaning of what Dr. Sarno claims. He didn't go to him or to his clinic even though we live in NY where he has his clinic. I've read studies of many people being helped by him, but this repair guy was the only first hand experience that I encountered of a positive experience. That wasmy reason for posting here. I wanted to see if there were more of us who were positively affected and therefore we might have a real possible solution for some of us. Personally for myself, just reading the book has not made a major impact. But, I have been very sick for 7 years. It might be that I need more - maybe a private consult. But, I still can't make up my mind if I believe in it.
  12. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

I think it would certainly help my belief if I had actually met that repair guy!

13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

14. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You said, "I believe the poster's question was...

" 'Has anyone who read Sarno's books, like healing back pain or a divided mind or attended his seminars in New York been positively affectd by him and his theory' "

Maybe if you dont apply to the above, you could just move on... "

The OP also said, "I am curious to see if anyone on this board has any experience with this and whether it is positive." I repeat, "any experience", and "whether it is positive". That sure seems to be asking for more than just positive responses....and the "just move on" response that you gave was not necessary
  15. dannybex

dannybex Member

We often agree on topics, but this time I'm not so sure. You said:

"I have read his stuff, have a MA degree in the field of psychology, know a lot about mind/body connection & absolutely believe it is real, believe that counseling can be very valuable, and STILL THINK THAT THIS IS TOTAL CR@P WHEN USED AS A TREATMENT FOR ME/CFS..."

Sounds kind of like a lot of anger there! :) Which I TOTALLY understand, but again, that's his point. Or actually, his point is that in many cases, patients aren't even aware that possibly their rage is there, as it's been suppressed, stuffed down deep inside, and when they learn how to release it (which I don't understand how exactly that works)...most of his patients get better.

"...the only reason that so many people continue to get away with prescribing this stuff for our illness is bc the stupid CDC keeps spewing their self-serving lies and propaganda and people believe them..."

I think that's an assumption that's too easy to jump to. He's been doing this since 1975, years before CFS/Fibro really exploded in the late 1980's, early 90's. Just my opinion... :)

"No way would so many people get away with prescribing psychological treatments for any other PHYSICAL illness, except as a way to cope with having the illness - not as a treatment for the illness..."

I used to get so pissed off at this type of suggestion too, but again, he's been successful for over 30 years. Can't remember what his 'success' rate is, but I think it's mentioned in the 20/20 interview that's linked at the bottom of the wikipedia page on Sarno.

Just my TWO cents! :)
  16. dannybex

dannybex Member

Here's the link to the wikipedia page on Sarno...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Sarno

and at the bottom, the link to the 20/20 interview that was done about 10 years ago. Notice the reporter's reaction compared to his brother's (a doctor)...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6660313127569317147
  17. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

First of all, I put things in caps to highlight them in order to catch the attention of anyone who was reading the first part of what I wrote and was possibly thinking that I agree with the treatment - didn't want them to stop reading with the wrong idea....I wasn't capitalizing to "yell" as many do....if I could figure out how to get things to work on this board in italics or bold letters or underlined, like I can elsewhere, I would not have used caps....I think that is part of the reason that you think I am angry

In all honesty, though, yes I definitely do have some anger towards the CDC - an amt that is completely realistic and healthy, if you know all that they have done to harm people with ME/CFS, all that they have done to waste research money, and all that they are continuing to do, (and with the direction that they are headed, I feel that it is extremely important to warn people to be aware of their potential to cause more harm)

....anyway, I am quite good at acknowledging my anger and dealing with it in a healthy manner - have been thru plenty of my own counseling, too, in addition to becoming a counselor....of course, since this is a catch 22 situation, whatever I say might not matter - if I say I am not angry, then anyone else can turn around and say, "well, you must not be aware of all of it or you must be in denial", and if I say that I am aware of anger (even though I have dealt with it and will cont to do so as the need arises), then anyone can say that the anger is the problem and I must need to deal with it further....while I do acknowledge that it's always possible that I might have missed something, it is extremely unlikely given how much I have dug into my feelings, how much knowledge I have about this stuff, how open I tend to be to learning about new research, and how very well I know myself at this point...and in general, anger is not an emotion that I struggle with

also, you said that my statement about the CDC's lies allowing people to get away with prescribing this stuff for our illness is not necessarily valid bc he has been doing this since '75.......that does not by any means change what I said - he has been doing this a long time for other illnesses- just like psychology and CBT have been around for a long time, too....for other illnesses......it is only since the CDC managed to convince a lot of people that ME doesn't exist and CFS is psychological that those treatments have become standard for ME/CFS......and back pain (Sarno's primary success) has been shown to frequently (but not always) have its roots in stress, anger, etc - even so, when patients go to the dr with back pain, most drs would first look for a physical cause - if that is ruled out, then they might look to the psychological possibilities, which is typically when patients go to Sarno

like I have said before, I do not have a problem with saying that there is a mind/body connection and that it has a very real impact in many ways, and I do not have any issues with using some of these treatments for coping with ME/CFS or even as an adjunct to help eliminate/deal with the emotions that one has that may be making their ME/CFS worse, but I do absolutely have a problem with using those kinds of treatments as the first choice, and/or only treatments for an illness that has very definite, proven biomedical roots - you are not going to cure or even do a good job treating a physical illness with only psychological treatments

I wish, I really, really wish that this were a psychological illness, bc if it were, there would be good treatments for it and even possible cures (and they would not have to be drug treatments either).....and I would be among the first to get such treatments....but that is not the case - and much research has shown that
  18. dannybex

dannybex Member

I totally understand Tammie -- esp your points on how this could be used and twisted by the CDC. I guess I was perhaps overreacting because that's often used by others as a reason to dismiss ANY type of mind-body stuff.

I'm not saying he's right...just that it MAY be part of the issue with some people...and they don't even realize it. Like the folks in the video clip above...

Thanks!

d.
  19. NIELK

NIELK Member

I am so sorry I brought up this topic. I had no idea it would bring out so much anger. I'm sorry. The last thing we all need is more stress in our life. Please forgive me.
    Nielk
  20. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am sorry if my response is what made you feel bad about bringing this up. I am truly not angry at you or at the topic - just at the way that it gets twisted and used against us. It is valuable to discuss this stuff, though, bc there is definitely some truth to the whole mind/body thing. I think that people can be very sensitive, and that is a good thing, but it can cause feelings to get hurt when that is not the intent. And others can get very vehement in what they express, and that is also a good thing bc it shows their passion, but it can come across the wrong way. It is esp hard on a place like this where we cannot read body language and have to rely on things (like my capital letters earlier) to try to convey things that might come across very differently if we were actually face to face. Anyway, again, please don't feel bad for bringing this up.