Dr. Kenny De Meirleir and fructose malabsorption?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swedeboy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Rich Carson's founders corner this week:

"ME-CFS and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) seem to go hand in hand, and new research is uncovering some interesting findings. In a fascinating study recently presented by Dr. Kenny De Meirleir, 45% of ME-CFS sufferers had a condition known as fructose malabsorption. This is a condition where the body does not effectively absorb this common sugar, and this can result in IBS, bacterial overgrowth, and leaky gut syndrome."

Anyone know more about this so-called fructose malabsorption? Is it as simple as not eating fruit, and or anything sweetened with fructose?

Thanks, Swedeboy
  2. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

I think I read something recently about that study, but I can't recall the specifics. I think I only noted it because I've taken myself off most fructose (actually, I avoid the high-fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, anything made from corn as well as wheat). I decided to cut the corn out after an elimination diet that pointed to that as well as wheat.

Funny thing is, I seem (after much experimenting) to be able to eat corn products from Mexico. Don't know exactly that connection either, except that Mexico does not allow genetically-modified corn to be grown. The HFCS has been also implicated recently in obesity studies. From what I understand of the science of it, HFCS (or possibly all fructose) creates a different response in the body than sucrose or glucose, taxing the liver and shutting off a couple of key "satiety" triggers. But, of course, the soft-drink industry denies this, and has its own studies that negate these findings.

It's rather funny though...I've been telling all of my friends for several years that "it's the high-fructose corn syrup." They laugh at me, but I've mostly banned it from my house. It would be really funny if I was right all along.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here you bring up an extremely good point that I'd never considered before---the idea that genetically modified versions of foods can cause reactions in us even if the foods themselves do not.

For instance, corn has never shown up in my blood tests for allergens. Nonetheless, I seem to be extremely allergic to it. I have a severe reaction with the pulse test (see "The Pulse Test" by Arthur Coca M.D.), get extremely depressed when I consume any, and rarely go to the movies because the mere smell of popcorn makes me feel somewhat ill.

Now I wonder if it's just genetically modified corn that is the problem. In particular, it seems that popcorn has been subject to many attempts over the last 40 years to "improve it"---and while the first (with Orville Redenbacher's product) probably were just hybrids, I imagine that recent ones were the result of massive genetic engineering. (Although something like 2/3 of all produce sold in American supermarkets is genetically engineered, I would imagine some has been subject to much more genetic engineering than others.....)

This thought makes my blood curdle, since if true it means that insofar as I know it's not genetically engineered, _no_ food I might eat is safe regardless of whether I've consumed it without problem in the past or whether it shows up on my allergy blood test. (i was finding it odd that almost no foods showed up on that test this time even though I'm sure I'm still reacting to many foods, but this would explain why.)

Over the past couple months I've been making a stronger effort than in the past to eat well, including copious purchases of produce at Whole Foods and much less dining out than I have been accustomed to doing. (I think---but am not sure---that most items at Whole Foods are not genetically engineered. I need to check.)

I've been feeling like the experience has been good for me, but have been attributing it to the fact that foods that are not genetically engineered have more nutrients as well as of improved diet in general (since even the best restaurant food is not as healthful as what I've been eating recently).

The idea that my body may be having negative reactions (as opposed to a mere lack of positive reactions) to genetically engineered foods is really bothersome. I wonder to what extent it's been reported or examined.

Best, Lisa
  4. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

click on my profile and on a post of cherylsue i answer some of this questions.
    i tested positive and my son.
    we are both his patients.
    take care karina
  5. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Swedeboy,
    I followed Karina's link and apparently Dr. De Meirleir does a breath test for the fructose malabsorption. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but I did find this article on the web that gives a pretty good overview of some of the different reactions the body has to fructose vs. glucose or sucrose.
    http://health.benabraham.com/html/evils_of_high_fructose_corn_sy.html

Lisa,
    I, too, have a bad reaction to most corn, and popcorn does seem to be one of the worst forms. As you say, popcorn has gone through a lot of genetic modification over the years. And yes, all HFCS, as well as most fructose used as an added ingredient in food comes from corn.

For what it's worth, it is my understanding that foods labeled "certified organic" may not contain any genetically modified ingredients. That's why most of the organic foods contain organic cane sugar or cane syrup if they have an added sweetener. So that's one way to avoid GM foods, if you can afford the higher prices.
  6. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

otherwise there will be a lot of confusion here.
    Dr.Meirleirs test is on fructose malabsorption. fructose intolerance is a diferent test and has different implication.
    Hereditary Fructose intolerance (HFI) is a quite rare genetic condition where the enzyme for breaking down Fructose is not produced. With HFI it is vital to observe a strict Fructose-free diet. Otherwise there is risk of serious disease including liver failure (sometimes fatal).

Fructose malabsorption on the other hand is much more common and affects about 30% of people. Certain special cells (epithelial cells) on the surface of the intestine are not available to assist the digestive process

For both: Gastro-intestinal distress: flatulence, bloating, diarrhea, fatigue, low iron or other nutrient deficiency.

In Fructose Malabsorption there is clinical evidence associating it with mood disturbances and depression.

Sugar cravings are strongly associated with Fructose sensitivity.

The hydrogen or H2 breath test can be used as a GUIDE ONLY for fructose, lactose or sorbitol malabsorption. The doctor may also use stool analysis in some cases. If it turns out you are Fructose- sensitive it is vital to rule out HFI as there are serious health issues.

i would not recommend to just jump to conclusion and stop eating fruits. fruits are a very important vitamin source, therefore i would advice to check it with a doc and discuss it with your doc, since you can eat certain fruits, dispite having malarbsorption problems.

hope this clears it up
    karina
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2007]
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

So lets say that someone has fructose malabsorption, what do they do? What types of fruit and foods do they eliminate? Like can you eat stuff sweetened with evaporated cane juice?