Dr. Lerner comes through again.... I think

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 28years, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 28years

28years New Member

You might have caught some of my posts (I posted all over the place) trying to find out what the problem is with my joints. I’ve been having a lot of joint pain. It doesn’t seem to be Lyme because once a joint is affected it stays affected. That is it doesn’t migrate.

Anyway, I tried e-mailing Dr. Lerner to ask him if EBV or HHV 6 could cause joint problems. I know sometimes he will answer a simple question in an e-mail. His response was “EBV and HHV6 can cause joint pain. Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis need be considered.”

I’d never heard of Babesiosis or Ehrlichiosis. But the little bit of research I’ve done it so far tells me that they are tick borne diseases (and I know I’ve had a tick bite as I had acute Lyme complete with rash, that was treated). I also learned that both of these can cause an increase in red blood cells and one, or maybe both, can cause anemia. I’ve had an increase in red blood cells for several months now and other blood work that indicates anemia. But when I was tested specifically for anemia, e.g., low B12 etc., I was found to have no anemia.

So I’m going to see if I can get my doctor to test me for Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis.

I’ll let you know what happens.
  2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Babesiosis and Erlichiosis are tick born infections that are typically transmitted with Lyme. Lyme itself can cause joint pain as well. So if the Lyme wasn't completely treated, you might still have it.
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

how long was the lyme treated? you may need accurate lyme testing again, preferably from igenex.

perhaps barbesios and/or erlichiosis was not an issue for you when dr. lerner tested you (you saw him if i recall...i know he tests for these) but they are an issue now.

when i declined a lot twice, dr. lerner retested me for these so i think they can become an issue even if they were not at one time.

i have heard of someone developing fibromyalgia during antiviral therapy and i myself am experiencing some signs of FM now. it isnt exactly joint pain though - more like someone punched my arms. i wonder how this is related to antiviral therapy.

good luck
  4. 28years

28years New Member

My lyme was treated for 3 weeks with doxy.

I developed the joint problems months after I saw Dr. Lerner. And I got the lyme rash a couple of weeks after my joints started to be a problem.

ladybugmandy--Thanks for interest and continued support. Your road has been so very difficult, yet you always seem to make time and find the energy to help and support others. Thank you.
  5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

thank you! that is very sweet of you to say. truth is, without this board and you guys, i would be lost.

i thought lyme had to be treated much longer ...?

maybe since you are on antivirals, it has somehow made other infections come to the surface....?

is there a good doctor in your area? can you travel to see lerner a few more times?

6. 28years

28years New Member

I'm no expert on lyme trearment, but from what I understand: if you catch lyme early, eg, when you get the rash (if you do get the rash), 3 weeks of doxy has a 99% chance of giving you a full recovery.

I had acute lyme 3 years ago, with rash, had three weeks of doxy and it completely cleared up.

Last summer I got lyme again, with rash, had doxy for 3 weeks and now I have continual joint pain.

I don't know what the difference is. Perhaps it is co-infection with something else like Babesiosis or Ehrlichiosis.

I have a niece who got lyme many years ago. She was very sick for three years and went from doctor to doctor trying to get diagnosed. When she finally got diagnosed with lyme, she was put on doxy for 3 weeks.

She said she felt better after only 3 days on doxy and completely cured by 3 weeks. She now healthy and has a husband, 2 kids, 2 jobs and lots of energy to do other things!!!!

I know a lot of people on this board, and others, who need treatment for lyme for much, much longer. I don't know why. Maybe when it gets chronic it gets harder to kill. Also, I wouldn't be surprised it there are some antibotic resistent strains of lyme out there.

Also, when I had my lyme rash this summer, my Dr. told me that the CDC now recomendends only 1 week of doxy for acute lyme. I find it hard to believe that that could work. Anyway, I insisted on and got the 3 weeks of doxy.

You asked "maybe since you are on antivirals, it has somehow made other infections come to the surface....?" In my case I don't think so because I had the joint problems for 2 months before I started the antivirals. (It took me a very long time to start the antivirals after seeing Dr. Lerner because of insurence problems.)