Dr. Lerner Living in Michigan now with IV's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chrissy12, Sep 11, 2008.

1. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Well, I made it.... I arrived here Tuesday and started my antibiotic IV's yesterday. My mycoplasma number kept going up and up and he finally said I need to live here for awhile and do IV therapy.

I am hoping this is one of my answers. Dr. Lerner believes the mycoplasma infection has my immune system down and until we deal with this, the viruses won't go. He seemed pretty certain of this.

The home care nurse says people who have been trying to get well end up here in Michigan. She has another patient with mycoplasma and living here. I think she just started, too.

He did pull me off the valcyte for now until he sees how I handle the IV's. I do 3 a day.

I did find a nice apartment and for most of the time I have family coming. I hope the time goes quickly.

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

wow! what an adventure for you!

it sounds like you are in the best of hands with dr. lerner and i am so glad you have family support too.

we are cheering for you!

3. findmind

findmind New Member

May I ask how much rent you have to pay to live near Dr. Lerner?

My grdau needs help desperately; no insurance, no income, boarding in a home right now. I'd be willing to pay a lot to get her well, she's only 20!

Is where you live close enough she could get there on her own? Bus?

Thanks in advance...
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

just wanted to let you know that there is public transportation right to dr. lerner's office (the service isn't that great though).
  5. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

Welcome to Michigan, hope your stay here is nice and the weather stays this beautiful while your here.

How did you like Dr. Lerner? I see him for the first time at the end of the month.

Wishing you the best and hope this treatment is successful for you.

6. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I really appreciate your support. There will be times I will be here alone, so I know I will be checking into the board for your support.

I'll keep you up to date. So far so good...Cindy
  7. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I have grown to really like him. In the beginnning, it was a little hard getting used to the idea he doesn't take questions well.

After being with him, you realize he is concentrating and studying the numbers. The last time I was there, he told him I could call at any hour and he would say, "Thanks for calling." even in the middle of the night. He told me one important aspect of his healing is to care about his patients.

I believe he does this to help as many people as he can.
  8. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I am so excited for you!

You are taking a big step to help you in your recovery. I can't imagine everything that you had to shuffle in your life in order to make this committment. Good for you!

How nice that you will have family with you most of the time, you are very loved and I'm glad to hear that Dr. Lerner is taking such good care of you.

Did Dr. Lerner give you any indications of when he would expect to see improvement in the mycoplasma with the IV treatment?

9. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Luckily, Dr. Lerner warned me in June and July that this might be coming. I started looking for places then just in case. It was a long, somewhat stressful 2 weeks getting ready to come and coordinating everything. It can be done if you ever have to do it.

He did not give me a certain time. I did ask him if I would feel better at the end of the 6 weeks. He said maybe, but that there are still active viruses, CMV and EBV. The HHV6 went down with the valcyte. He feels we have to address the mycoplasma infection before we can move forward. I will keep you posted.

Take Care, Cindy
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

Thanks for the info. I think: there's no way I can afford $60 a night, even for my grdau!

Am wishing you a speedy healing, chrissy!!

11. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

findmind....living in michigan is temporary for chrissy because she needs IV antibiotics. not everyone will need this.

i have had CFS for over 15 years and have not needed antibiotics yet.

i have been seeing dr. lerner for 7 months and have spent only 1 night in michigan because i live in toronto and can usually be back on the same day.

good luck
  12. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I greatly appreciate all of the suupport on this board. Sometimes this feels really hard and sometimes I feel like I am handling it okay. When family is here, I feel better, but when they leave, it is more difficult. I have had a lot of support, but I don't have anyone that can stay the entire time.

Your kind words meant a lot to me. Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2008]
  13. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

"Extended Stay" hotels (and sister companies) have a few hotels around the area for about $40 a night. They have their own equipped kitchen too. They're about 15-20 miles from the surgery, though.
  14. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

Best of luck with your IVs. I hope they provide some relief and improvement for you. :)

Can I ask, how long do you need them for? And, do a lot of his patients need IVs?
  15. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I don't see a lot of his patients on IV's, but I know there are others. I believe he treats lyme with IV's and mycoplasma pneumoniae.

I have to be on the IV for 6 weeks, and I have just finished week 3. I am experiencing a lot of die off. He checked liver and kidney, etc., and said everything was normal and my reaction was from the treatment. I will know more in 3 weeks.

[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2008]