Dr. Lerner's patients/people taking AVs-- other doctors, other drugs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smurfette17, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Hi all,

I’ve now been taking Dr. Lerner’s antivirals and heart medication since October. I switched from Valtrex to Famvir just this week, and will be starting Valcyte shortly. I was wondering if, despite being in treatment with him, anyone takes other medications prescribed by other phycians, or supplements on your own. My mom is of the opinion that I should just do one therapy at a time, but I don’t think there would be harm in (for example) also addressing my sleep with another doctor (Lerner has not been much help with that), or taking some nutritional supplements? I'm already trying to work on the sleep issues with a psychiatrist. I take some vitamins and omega-3. That's about it.

The reason I ask is that I have an appointment with a new doctor next week. This is not to substitute Dr. Lerner, but I do need a local primary care doctor, since I live 1 hr from Dr. Lerner (what happens if I sprain my ankle? Etc). When choosing this doctor, I looked for someone who has familiarity with CFS, which apparently he does. Also, he is in an integrative medicine clinic, so he has more of a holistic bend. My goals in seeing him are mainly to establish care, but also to see if he has any ideas that may complement Dr. Lerner’s approach, without interfering. For example, maybe more hormonal testing, maybe nutritional supplements, etc. I also feel that I need to address my recent low blood pressure issues. My questions are two:

1. If you see Dr. Lerner, is he usually ok with us having “other doctors”? I know he doesn’t want me taking herbs, but I do not know of any other restrictions. He did say that the fewer meds I take, the better, so as to not overwork the liver.

2. If you are in the subset of patients being treated with AVs, what has helped you supplement that treatment? In other words, what might be some of the things for me to ask the new doctor?

2. basketmom

basketmom New Member

I have been seeing Dr Lerner since 2/08. At that time I gave him a list of the meds that I was prescribed by my family physician. I was taking Lunesta, Rozerem and Elavil for sleeping. He has let me continue taking those. I still get refills from my family Dr although I haven't needed to see him since I started seeing Dr Lerner. I think that you should OK any new meds with Dr Lerner before you start them. I had Bronchitis a few weeks ago and Dr Lerner precribed an antibiotic for it but I needed to stop Valcyte as it would have overtaxed my liver. I am currently on Valtrex & Valcyte.

I am about 1 1/2 hours away from Dr Lerner, I live in Portland. Where are you from?

3. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Thanks, Mary. I live in Ann Arbor. Just an hour from Dr. Lerner but definitely too far to consider him my "local doctor". I definitely agree that anything new should be okd by Dr. Lerner, particularly due to the liver issue.

Have you experienced improvement since seeing Dr. Lerner? I'm trying to be patient, but am feeling worse than ever :( Hoping that the addition of the Valcyte will help.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello! i am seeing dr. lerner too but am scared to take any medications without telling him. he is very strict about that but it could be because he does not want to introduce any new variables for his own research purposes.

k. loomis of the HHV6 foundation has found that the best supplements to take with antivirals are: Avemar, Isoprinosine, and Immunocal / Immunopro (undenatured whey).

if i took them, i would probably not tell dr. lerner.

5. ethermom

ethermom New Member

Hi, our son just had his first 3 visits with Dr Lerner this month, has been dx'd with HHV-6 as well as some other issues. His office gave us a list of vitamins that he would recommend, and this list seems to be pretty standard. Did you receive one?
    I am also a registered dietitian, and have read quite a bit on nutritional therapy for CFIDS. We haven't waded into much use here, except for omega 3's (good) and a try with ribose (fail); the reported results are so inconsistent from one study or user to another, and glitches in metabolic pathways may mean that the herbal remedy or nutrient is ineffective/not utilized, or worse.
  6. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Hi Anita,

I was taking valtrex with Dr. Lerner and I know he wants to know everything you are taking. In my opinion, he doesn't seem to believe in much supplementation other than standard vitamins (although I have never been given the list, I have seen it from others on this site).

He seems to be fine with seeing other docs as long as it doesn't interfere with his protocol. Like you, I also felt that I needed addtional nutritional support but I wasn't sure what to take.

He was fine with the meds I was taking when I started, but I'm not sure if he would let me add a probiotic or an antifungal for yeast problems, etc.

Please let us know if the AV's are helping.

Cindy :) I'm so glad to hear that you are improving!! How wonderful! Please give me all the details - how much are you improving and in what ways? I apologize if you have already posted on this, I haven't been on-line for about a month and I'm catching up.

7. onset1990

onset1990 Member

I thought I was reading about a DR. Lerner here in Beverly Hills, CA.
    Now I see he is in Beverly Hills MI! I didn't know there was another Beverly Hills,LOL.

But that leaves me out of seeing him...