Dr. Light and sensory neurons - another article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Here is the link to another article on Dr. Light's research [there are others if you want?]:

He has identified the proteins that tell the muscles they are tired, as well as the genes that, uh, control? , those protiens.

I won't pretend to understand it all, but it seems to be about the sensory neurons that protect the muscles from overuse. We feel PAIN, get CRAMPS, or FATIGUE when that system kicks in to protect the muscles. It works on the byproducts of muscle metabolism [energy], where the neurons sense lactic acid [etc], and then signal the brain and the brain produces the pains.

Pain, by the way, is only in the brain!! I think that is so cool. The muscles don't hurt, just the map of the body in the brain makes it feel that way.

[I am hoping somebody can correct whatever errors I am making here... I am so foggy today I just do not have any confidence at all]

Edit Post: Adding links to other articles about/by Dr. Light:

Phoenix Rising article -

PDF on Mr.and Mrs. Drs. Light's research -

[This Message was Edited on 10/17/2009]
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

for posting.....I have been in a constant state of fog since I finished writing my CFSAC testimony (thankfully I felt clear-headed while I was writing it), so I will have to book mark this one and get back to it, but I do appreciate that you posted it (& I obviously understand what you mean about being foggy)
  3. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

I know, it is just so exhausting to read these things isn't it? And then to type a reply, and I am toast.

This research was also explaining the link to FATIGUE through this muscle protective mechanism, ... at least I think he meant "general mind fatigue" and not "muscle fatigue".

When the alert is sent to the brain, the brain causes us to feel fatigued - that is one of the three ways of protecting the muscles.

Also, I think this is exciting because it has a real definitive diagnosis potential.
  4. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

I read the full paper and found it interesting.
    Something abnormal is definitely happening after exercise.

But they seem to be stuck on the idea that nothing abnormal is happening in the muscle. As far as I recall, they quote one study to back this up. Various studies have found abnormalities in the muscle. So I think the science is good. But I question how they are interpreting it.