Dr. Lowe and hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildwoodlane, Jan 30, 2009.

1. wildwoodlane

wildwoodlane Member

Has anyone heard of this doctor, and if so, what is your opinion? From googling his name, I see he connects hypothyroidism with fibromyalgia. Haven't gone onto his website but was curious about responses and input, if any.

Good to be back.

2. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I think this doc is pretty well known in FM circles. I've googled up some of his info. I don't know that I completely agree with his ideas. There are also others who say FM people have a thyroid issue. A FM friend of mine goes to an interactive doctor who sees people with FM, He says that everyone with FM has a thyroid issue.

However, after reading this board I can see that treating the thyroid problem does not get rid of FM.

It appears our thyroid problems differ. I recently found out that I have high thyroid antibodies. I'm on regular T4 meds, but I'm just losing more hair than normal. In the past I have tried armour, with no difference to symptoms. My reverse T3 test came back normal, so I don't think that is an issue for me. I'm suspecting I have resistance to thyroid hormone. Perhaps blocked receptors.

It's all very difficult. Finding a doctor who will test for these issues is a hurdle in itself.

If you start reading about thyroid, expect to be doing quite a bit of reading before you fully understand the whole process