Dr Mickel-reverse therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

I was getting ready to buy some more books for my wonderful health/chronic illness collection! I came across some things on the book store wesbite by Dr. Mickel and reverse therapy. It sounds interesting. Does anyone know of anybody that it helped?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2006]
  2. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I ordered his book based on someone's recommendation here. It just arrived today actually!! (so haven't read yet)

A little disappointed though already. Him and his former colleague/trainer have parted ways. The unfortunate side effect of this was that their jointly written book could no longer be published. He has since rewritten, condensing it to a mere 65 pages! Not at all what i was expecting!!!

I'm still going to read it, now that i have it.
    Keep you posted!

TM~

ps have you tried to do a search on "Mickel Therapy"? I know there a couple of threads on it. Even some that have had some remission from his therapy.
  3. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I'm doing reverse therapy right now and I'm doing the Eaton type. I think it's helping me a little bit. I didn't care for Eaton's book at all and it's only like 106 pages and cost me $20.

Love, Jasmine
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

Are you seeing someone for it? or doing it yourself? What are some of the things you do? I am trying to wrap my brain around it.
  5. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Jane,
    I'm seeing a doctor in Connecticut who is the only reverse therapist in the U.S. at the moment. They will be training more reverse therapists in the U.S. in May/June. I found my doctor on the reverse therapy site for Eaton and so far, so good. I'm feeling a little bit better so far but I've had CFS/FM for 22 years so it'll take time to reverse.

Basically it's about reading a message that your reverse therapist has written for each individual when you feel worse. Then you rate your symptoms before reading the message and then after. Then you do an action like deep breathing or tearing up a magazine or hitting a pillow, etc. Then rate your symptoms afterwards. You are also supposed to start doing activities that you haven't done in a while that are enjoyable and you are supposed to treat yourself once a week.

Love, Jasmine

6. jane32

jane32 New Member

What happens if you are really tired or feel sick? Do you still suffer through the exercise?

7. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Jane,
    You only do reverse therapy when your physical or emotional symptoms are worse. It makes me feel a little better afterwards and it only takes like 15 or 20 minutes. I only do it like every other day or so.

Love, Jasmine
  8. advancewithcourage

advancewithcourage New Member

I did Mickel Reverse Therapy and it REALLY helped me. I am able to stay symptom free most of the time and when I do get symptoms, I know what to do with them and how to make the changes in my life that can restore me to normalcy.
  9. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

How many sessions did you have before you noticed a big improvement with Mickel Therapy? I just had my 4th session of the Eaton reverse therapy and I'm feeling very discouraged since I went into relapse recently.
  10. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

There is also a man doing this therapy in British Columbia - His name is David Greenshield. I have communicated with him a couple of times and he is very nice, unfortunatly I can't yet stand the trip as I am in Oregon.

Gretchen
  11. advancewithcourage

I did my sessions via e-mail and it took my 3mo. to notice a difference. I had to find ACTIONS that worked. THat was hard for me. I noticed no progress until I got to the real root of what was causing my hypothalamus to go into fight or flight and came up with satifying actions that caused it to settle. This was not easy. I had to try and try with some issues. I got VERY frustrating to and was tempted to give up several times.
  12. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Jasmine,

Could you provide more information on who is going to be training more reverse therapists in the U.S. and where that is going to be done, or where I could find that information?

Thanks,
    Jennifer
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Can someone please explain a little more about how the therapy works, and what exactly you're supposed to do?
    With so few therapists--and an overpriced book--maybe those who are doing it or have read about it could share a bit more information?
    Thanks!
    Kholmes
  14. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Hi Jasmine,

I live in Connecticut. Could you share the name of the doctor or person you are seeing re the reverse therapy?
  15. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It certainly can't mean going backwards.
  16. JenniferAnn539

AWC,

Could you please post how you can do Reverse Therapy via email? Can anyone do it via email or is this a special circumstance for you?

My interest is piqued. Sometimes when I have a relapse I can feel it coming on, and start experiencing symptoms and sensations in my brain. It is frustrating because I feel helpless to stop it. If there was something that I could do to prevent the onset or stop the symptoms, I would be thrilled.

Thanks,
    Jennifer
  17. advancewithcourage

No, you don't want to stop the symptoms because the symptoms are the bodies way of telling your that something is wrong.

For example, if you sit on a tack- the answer to the pain you are experiencing is not to take Motrin to kill the pain, but to get off the tack. Your symptoms are there to send you a message and you learn to stop fearing the fight or flight response and make the necessary changes.

The greatest thing in the world is when you stop fearing the symptoms. I used to panic every time I would relapse. Hey, it is so miserable, right? When you understand fight or flight you see that there is nothing to fear. Do some research on GAS (General Adaptation Syndrome) CFIDS and FMS is the exhaustion stage of this syndrome discovered by Hans Seyle.

Sometimes we feel like death is eminent and a good understanding of these things helps us to see and understand what is happening in our bodies.

The goal of Mickel Therapy is to interpret the bodies symptoms to discover what is putting the body into fight or flight and take actions to alleviate the stress on the hypothalamus gland so that it can return to maintaining homeostasis.

I am not sure Dr. Mickel is offering e-mail therapy. I have not spoken with him in a long time. You would need to contact him via his website. I know he was planning on offering it to many folks.
  18. JenniferAnn539

AWC,

Thanks for the follow up, the information is much appreciated.

I have never heard of GAS. I will take the time to research it and see what comes of it.

I posed a few questions to you on your NEVER GIVE UP thread, which I have cut and pasted below, in case you come back to this thread:

Specific Carbohydrate Diet..
    I was on this diet for months with no relief from my symptoms. I had so hoped this would be an answer for me.

Could you please let us know when you started to experience relief after starting this diet and how long until you felt sustained relief?

Is it possible that you experienced feeling better because the diet addressed your Celiac condition?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to post the information on GAS, and I'll be on the look out to see if you have time to answer regarding the SCD questions.

Warm Regards,
    Jennifer
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  19. advancewithcourage

Elaine Gotshall explains that the goal of SCD is to alter the microbial situation in the gut. This takes months - at least 3-6. I think what SCD did for me was deal with the intestinal yeast issues I had going on. I was already entirely gluten free for 2 years prior to SCD. I also took Nystatin. I think it really helped also. At this point I was able to get rid of my overwhelming fatigue and depression, but I was still left with brain fog and frequent headaches. After researching the hypothalamus, I became convinced that this organ was the real root cause.

I think dealing with the yeast took some stress off the hypothalamus and therefore my adrenals were able to kick in again thus alleviating the fatigue. But I had not reached homeostasis or I would not be having the fog and headaches. Now just fog and headaches was a vast improvement over the miserable existance I had been living, but I was still hoping for better.

That is about the time I contacted Dr. Mickel and we agreed to try the MT via e-mail. This really helped me. Now I will not say I never experience any symptoms, but nothing like I did, and I know how to deal with them now. I do have one puzzling symptom I cannot get rid of. Lights bother me. I don't get terribly ill, they just bother me. But I will take that any day to being on the couch 16 hours a day and not being able to care for my children properly.

I think stressors come at us in many forms, emotional, physical, environmental. The key is to search out and destroy them with a vengeance. For me, I had a lot of stress in my life based on the fact that I was homeschooling, my relationship with my husband needed work, my kids were undisciplined, I was not sleeping properly, my house was disordered ect ect. I had emotions I was not dealing with.

Just dealing with the yeast infections did not do it. Likewise, I am not certain that just dealing with the above forementioned issues would have been enough if I had allowed my body to be ravaged by infection. I just honestly don't know.

I know one thing for sure though. If I allow the factors that put me in CFIDS to return to my life, I will return to where I was. I am certain of it. So I gaurd my life like a sentinal.

I have done several things that have helped fascillitate my recovery and it is hard even to remember them all. I will try to list them.

- Seeking God for direction and help
    - Pleasant Valley Church's seminar
    - SCD diet (I am on this diet still, attempts to go off have been short lived)
    - Mickel Therapy
    - Nyastatin
    - Simplicity (I try to keep few material things and keep complexity at a minimum)
    - The Fly Lady (helped bring order and structure into my life)
    - Menu Mailer (reduced the stress of meal time prep)
    - try to keep bitterness and anger out of my relationships
    - try to get regular and decent amounts of sleep

I may be leaving stuff out.

If I return to my former ways in any of these things I may end up where I was. So I do not say I am cured but in remission.

Also, I have had 9 pregnancies in 13 years of marraige - a little tough on the body. So, after this baby comes, we are planning to take permanent measures to preserve my health. So I will have to get a grip on my addiction to little babies - ha ha.

Hope this helps some. Understanding GAS will be a big help. We are all individuals and what works for one of us will not necessarily work for another, but the key is the hypothalamus, I just know it is.

So make yourself a student of the hypothalamus. As someone on this board once said, "What do hypothalamus's like anyway?" I think we all need to find out.

My main point is that there is hope for everyone out there and never to give up hoping and seeking. I believe this illness can be beat because I have met so many who have done it. Just peel away at the layers of the onion one at a time until you get to the core, that is how I found a way out, one layer at a time.
  20. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi all,
    Yes, I'm doing reverse therapy in Connecticut right now. Reverse Therapists are going to be trained in the Easton Reverse Therapy in Hartford, Connecticut in September and also in Mickel Reverse Therapy in Colorado also in September.

If you google reverse therapy Eaton, you will find the information for the Connecticut reverse therapist. Just e-mail the website and the reverse therapist will e-mail you with all his information.

I'm hoping I can make reverse therapy work for me. I'm working really hard with it but it is very difficult and challenging at times.

Love, Jasmine