Dr. Mirkin on body pH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by healing, Apr 6, 2003.

1. healing

healing New Member

This is from Dr. Gabe Mirkin's "e-zine" that comes by email:

Dear Dr. Mirkin: Should we be using products such as coral
    calcium or alkaline water that claim to make the body less acidic?

No supplements, foods or special waters will change the
    acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is more acidic than vinegar, lemon juice or any other food. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes. When the acid contents of your stomach enter your intestines, secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the contents of your stomach are acidic and the contents of your intestines are alkaline.

Your bloodstream and organs control their acidity in a very
    narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. For example, when you hold your breath, carbon dioxide accumulates in your bloodstream very rapidly and your blood turns acidic, and you will become uncomfortable or even pass out. This forces you to start breathing again immediately, and the pH returns to normal. If your kidneys are damaged and cannot regulate the acidity of your bloodstream, normal chemical reactions stop, poisons
    accumulate in your bloodstream and you can die.

Promoters of these products claim that cancer cells
    cannot live in an alkaline environment and that is true, but neither can any of the other cells in your body. If you hear someone say that your body is too acid and you should use their product to make it more alkaline, you would be wise not to believe anything else they tell you.
  2. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I am having trouble keeping my stomach acids strong enough to digest proteins so must take Betaine HCL with pepsin before I eat to aid digestion. I was told not to eat Tums anymore as it would neutralize my stomach acid. I was under the impression that eventually my stomach would become more acidic and I wouldn't need the Betaine. After reading this I am wondering. It sounds like this is a temporary measure only that the stomach only responds during digestion and then its over...it stays in its own narrow range of acidity. How do you permanently get your range where it should be? I know this is a different slant than the article was taking but it just made me wonder. Anybody understand my inquiry? Anybody know?
  3. healing

healing New Member

upsie daisie