Dr. Office called today with test results...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, May 22, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I went to the dr. last week...I have been really watching what I eat for a long time now and not feeling any better...

So just about every week I have a new problem...I feel like a car...When you don't fix one thing things just keep going bad and then you have all kinds of things wrong..

Well she wouldn't even spend time talking to me...made me really mad...She just wanted to run test..AGAIN...and of course the same ole test..

Anyways the nurse called me to tell me the results...She says everything is fine except for my cholesterol was a little high...but I have been eating a lot of eggs...my calcium was a little low...but the thing that bothered me was she said that my kidneys were off...So she told me that I needed to drink more water...

Well I drink so much water now that I should float away...And that is all I drink is water...So I told here this and she said she would tell the dr....

She wanted me to come in sooner to talk to the dr... I told her it was a waste of my time...Especially when the dr. don't even want to take the time to listen to what I have going on..

I am going to go and have some allergy testing done here in about a week or so...I told her I would come in after that...

But this does kinda worry me...I have been having swelling now for a couple of weeks and have not figured it out...I thought it was the salt thing...but I hardly eat any salt at all...

She did say that my soduim and potassium(sp)were fine..Sugar was fine..No signs of infection..

I just don't knwo what to do...I have been feeling really awful...I just want some answers...

I watch what I eat...but then I am just starving all the time...and then I am so week and dizzy...but when I eat I don't feel any better...Plus I have had a few new pains...one being my big toe...and the pain I have talked about in my groing area going down my leg...they all come and go...and they are all on the same side of the body..And the headaches are sooo bad..And terrible muscle burning..

I notice all my syptoms change with what I eat...but I can't pinpoint it on anything...I eat all natural..no processed stuff...even fruits and some veggies make me feel weird sometimes... So that is why I am going to the allergist for testing...

Sorry for the rambling...

If anyone has any ideas for me...I would love to hear it...I will take any help I can get...
  2. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Help...anyone?
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I know how you feel Sheryl, the analogy about the car is good and about the same way I feel about the body. I expect when you reach a certain age the body begins to break down but in the case of fibromyalgia everything is made worse.

It's good you're eating the right foods and doing what you can to achieve good health. Sometimes even though we do all the right things (food, exercise, rest)it seems impossible to get the upper hand with these illnesses.

I hope there's nothing too wrong with your kidneys and I trust you'll look into this before too long. It's a shame your doctor isn't more approachable, though it sounds like you have a good relationship with the nurse.

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful. I don't have any advice but wanted to commiserate and let you know you're not alone with all this. It's a real puzzle isn't it?

God bless you,

Anne Theresa
  4. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

If you are not locked into this doctor such as for insurance reasons, please go to another doctor. First and foremost, you need someone who will LISTEN to you. You know your body better than they do. If they don't listen how do they know how to help you?

Try to find someone who is a naturopath or holistic medicine doctor.

(((((((Hugs)))))))))

Linda
  5. CountryRocker

CountryRocker New Member

I went to my dr because I was retaining water. She said it could be my age (50) or a kidney problem. She did an ultrasound on my kidneys and they came back ok, so it's watch the salt intake now.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

your kidneys are off??
    in what way?? discovered by bloodwork?
    I'm confused,..as I'm sure you are.

Did they do any kind of a kidney scan or IVP?

If not,..they need to.

sorry I'm no more help~
    its frustrating is'nt it?

good luck :)
    Tandy
  7. winsomme

winsomme New Member

i think that the kinds of allergies that we have aren't true allergies.

they are food sensitivities. the theory is that are intestinal track has become more permiable and so larger pieces of what eat pass into our system and then our immune system treats it like a foreign particle and produces a reaction agianst that food.

then when we eat that food in the future our body reacts.

there are special labs that do this testing which is called IgG:

www.greatplainslaboratory.com

www.gdx.net

look for their sections on food allergy testing. they often will send you a test kit which you can just take to your DRs office.

there is also another one that checks actual immune cells reacting to different foods:

www.foodallergytest.com

the normal allergy testins is for what they call IgE - which is the type of immunoglobulin that reacts. it is probably good to have both testings, and maybe you can find what exactly is triggering some of your symptoms.

the "food intolerance" is more often done by alternative DRs because it is not as mainstream.

let me know if i can answer any other questions, and maybe someone has some more info on this topic than i do.

thanks
    bill
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2006]
  8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I don't really remember what she said...but yes it was from a blood test...I am to go in and see her to talk about it...

Yes..I am confussed too...But the swelling is not getting any better...Weird, but I am swollen more on my right side..
  9. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I hardly eat any salt...I don't eat any prepackages foods..I just sprinkle a little on my food..But I have still been watching how much I do put on...

I crave salt sooo bad..But my sodium levels were fine..
  10. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I know my reactions are more of a sensitivity...I have already talked to the allergist about it. But my reg. dr. wants me to go through the testing to rule things out...Maybe to help figure out what I can and can not eat..

It probably won't be much help...but I have to start somewhere...

I know when the do the testing he is going to do a blood test...He told me to start making a list of what foods I want tested...It gets sent away...I won't get the results for about a week after the testing..

Thank you for all the sites...I will do some researching on those before I go...I also think I will get my lab work and take it to the allergist with me...See what he thinks of it all..

I am figuring out I have chemical sensitivities...I do hair and I think this is a real problem for me...I have decided to quit working and try to figure it all out..[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2006]
  11. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am suppose to go to the allergist on June 2nd...But it is my sisters b-day and I am not sure what is planned for that day...Everyday they had available I had something going...

My worst nightmare is to go through it all and spend all the money and it come back that I am not allergic to anything...LOL
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

I sheryl I have been following alot of your posts. I did the leap food sensitive thing and still watch some of the foods that I am not suppose to have. I will say it helped a little. I am not sure how testing just certain foods will work for you. I would get them all done. I ate bananas all of the time and I never had any reaction that I was aware of but the leap test showed that I was sensitive to it so now I do not have it. I cut out all sugar and I have to say that did not help. I now went back to my daily sugar cravings but I only eat homemade goodies like cookies and ice cream. No more things from a box at all. I think you have to find what works for you. Some people swear that you will feel better if you eat super healthy and have no sweets for me that did not work. I have so much more energy now that I added sugar back in. Again, everyone can offer advice but you have to go with what works for you. Hang in there this illness really seems to cycle with our symptoms.
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

are you having low back pain or more flank pain??
    (just tryin to figure this out)
    any blood or protein in urine?
    you could (I suppose) even have a small stone lodged/trapped in a ureter leading from the kidneys to bladder. (just a thought)
    hang in there,
    Sending prayers,
    Tandy
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am sorry the doc office was so off hand. It is terrible the way we are treated.

I doubt if the eggs would push your cholesterol up, esp. eating organic. It is saturated fat (as in cheeses etc that tends to bring up chol. so they think, but most likely genes as most choles. is manufactured by our own livers)

The kidney thing. Well that test can be a little iffy. As we get a little older, not that you are as you are so young and pretty, the kidney results will fluctuate and even the labs taking them, even if you took meds etc. My friend's kidney and liver tests were way off as she had a Tylenol a couple of hours prior to the test. Second test was fine.

So re test on that some time.

I know what you mean about fix one thing then something else, this DD pain moves from place to place.

Feel less worried, try and relax and enjoy, I think due to our pains we are all so hypervigilent about our bodies and it may do us all good just to stop worrying(says me(LOL).

Love Anne C
  15. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for responding...I think we have talked in the past...

How do I go about the leap test?? I know you have said before but I don't remember..

I was thinking the same thing...How on earth am I going to make a list of the foods...I know I would forget something and then after the test think..Oh I should have had them test for that...LOL

You know...I have been trying the eating soooo healthy for a while now...That does not work for me either...and the no sugar thing just don't cut it...I feel worse not having it...I have even less energy eating healthy...I just in the last few days started eating a little more normal...but making sure they are still good food without all the junk added...but I think I do feel a little better...

What would you suggest I do for the food sensitivity test...and do I go to an allergist for this???

Thanks..
  16. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for trying to help me get this figured out..

No..No pain..I mean I do just ache but not really bad pain.

But the swelling is bad tonight...Kinda has me worried..
  17. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I try not to worry...but this is not right..

Then I think what if this is why I feel so awful everyday?

I am going to not really worry about the whole cholesterol thing...I don't think it was that bad...

But I would like to try to bring up my calcium...I don't really want that to be low for to long..

And this thing with my kidneys...I have been having bad swelling for about 3 weeks now...It is not getting any better...and I don't really eat that much salt. But when I do eat a little more I do swell more..

I get so sick and tired of trying to figure it all out!!...I'm sure I'm not alone on that one...LOL
  18. SherylD

SherylD Guest

but I looked up kidney disease...I have alll of these symptoms! I think I will call my dr. tomorrow and try to get in this week...Maybe I shouldn't wait..I was anemic on my last blood test...I have the nasuea but not vomiting..sometimes I wish I would..

10 Symptoms of Kidney DiseaseNavigate by choosing a topic from the list to the right.
    Select Introduction 1 in 9 Adults Suffers from CKD Risk Factors for CKD 10 Symptoms of CKD Frequently-Asked Questions What You Can Do Many people who have chronic kidney disease don't know it, because the early signs can be very subtle. It can take many years to go from chronic kidney disease (CKD) to kidney failure. Some people with CKD live out their lives without ever reaching kidney failure.

However, for people at any stage of kidney disease, knowledge is power. Knowing the symptoms of kidney disease can help you get the treatment you need to feel your best. If you or someone you know has one or more of the following symptoms of kidney disease, or you are worried about kidney problems, see a doctor for blood and urine tests. Remember, many of the symptoms can be due to reasons other than kidney disease. The only way to know the cause of your symptoms is to see your doctor.

Symptom 1: Changes in Urination
    Kidneys make urine, so when the kidneys are failing, the urine may change. How?

You may have to get up at night to urinate.
    Urine may be foamy or bubbly. You may urinate more often, or in greater amounts than usual, with pale urine.
    You may urinate less often, or in smaller amounts than usual with dark colored urine.
    Your urine may contain blood.
    You may feel pressure or have difficulty urinating.

Symptom 2: Swelling
    Failing kidneys don't remove extra fluid, which builds up in your body causing swelling in the legs, ankles, feet, face, and/or hands.

Symptom 3: Fatigue
    Healthy kidneys make a hormone called erythropoietin (a-rith'-ro-po'-uh-tin) that tells your body to make oxygen-carrying red blood cells. As the kidneys fail, they make less erythropoietin. With fewer red blood cells to carry oxygen, your muscles and brain become tired very quickly. This condition is called anemia, and it can be treated.

Symptom 4: Skin Rash/Itching
    Kidneys remove wastes from the bloodstream. When the kidneys fail, the buildup of wastes in your blood can cause severe itching.

Symptom 5: Metallic Taste in Mouth/Ammonia Breath
    A buildup of wastes in the blood (called uremia) can make food taste different and cause bad breath. You may also notice that you stop liking to eat meat, or that you are losing weight because you just don't feel like eating.

Symptom 6: Nausea and Vomiting
    A severe buildup of wastes in the blood (uremia) can also cause nausea and vomiting. Loss of appetite can lead to weight loss.

Symptom 7: Shortness of Breath
    Trouble catching your breath can be related to the kidneys in two ways. First, extra fluid in the body can build up in the lungs. And second, anemia (a shortage of oxygen-carrying red blood cells) can leave your body oxygen-starved and short of breath.

Symptom 8: Feeling Cold
    Anemia can make you feel cold all the time, even in a warm room.

Symptom 9: Dizziness and Trouble Concentrating
    Anemia related to kidney failure means that your brain is not getting enough oxygen. This can lead to memory problems, trouble with concentration, and dizziness.

Symptom 10: Leg/Flank Pain
    Some people with kidney problems may have pain in the back or side related to the affected kidney. Polycystic kidney disease, which causes large, fluid-filled cysts on the kidneys and sometimes the liver, can cause pain.
  19. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Electrolytes are salts that conduct electricity and are found in the body fluid, tissue, and blood. Examples are chloride, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium. Sodium (Na+) is concentrated in the extracellular fluid (ECF) and potassium (K+) is concentrated in the intracellular fluid (ICF). Proper balance is essential for muscle coordination, heart function, fluid absorption and excretion, nerve function, and concentration.

The kidneys regulate fluid absorption and excretion and maintain a narrow range of electrolyte fluctuation. Normally, sodium and potassium are filtered and excreted in the urine and feces according to the body?s needs. Too much or too little sodium or potassium, caused by poor diet, dehydration, medication, and disease, results in an imbalance. Too much sodium is called hypernatremia; too little is called hyponatremia. Too much potassium is called hyperkalemia; too little is called hypokalemia.

Incidence and Prevalence
    Hyponatremia is the most common electrolyte imbalance. It is associated with kidney disease such as nephrotic syndrome and acute renal failure (ARF). Men and women with healthy kidneys have equal chances of experiencing electrolyte imbalance, and people with eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia, which most often affect women, are at increased risk. Very young people and old people are affected more often than young adults.

Hyponatremia

Causes
    Hyponatremia is caused by conditions such as water retention and renal failure that result in a low sodium level in the blood.

Pseudohyponatremia occurs when too much water is drawn into the blood; it is commonly seen in people with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Psychogenic polydipsia occurs in people who compulsively drink more than four gallons of water a day.

Hypovolemic hyponatremia (with low blood volume due to fluid loss) occurs in dehydrated people who rehydrate (drink a lot of water) too quickly, in patients taking thiazide diuretics, and after severe vomiting or diarrhea.

Hypervolemic hyponatremia (high blood volume due to fluid retention) occurs in people with live cirrhosis, heart disease, or nephrotic syndrome. Edema (swelling) often develops with fluid retention.

Euvolemic hyponatremia (decrease in total body water) occurs in people with hypothyroidism, adrenal gland disorder, and disorders that increase the release of the antidiuretic hormone (ADH), such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, and brain trauma.

Signs and Symptoms
    Symptoms of hyponatremia are related to the severity and the rate at which the conditions develop. The first symptoms are fatigue, weakness, nausea, and headache. More severe cases cause confusion, seizure, coma, and death.

Treatment
    The goal of treatment is to restore electrolyte balance for proper hydration and use of total body fluid. Sodium deficiency must be corrected slowly because drastic change in sodium level can cause brain cell shrinkage and central pontine myelinolysis (damage to the pons region of the brain). Methods include:

Fluid and water restriction
    Intravenous (IV) saline solution of 3% sodium
    Salt tablets

You should see someone knowledgeable. After reading this it might be so that there is too much fluid intake, or too little, as well as too much or too little salt intake. Either causes an electrolyte imbalance.

I think listening to your body might be the thing to do, salt craving, what if it is so that you have it because you NEED more balance (more) salt intake?

Just speculating here to get the wheel turning, I guess.

20. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks...

I do crave salt...but why when I eat more of it I do swell more..Who know is she tested my electrolites(sp)??

Someone else had mentioned getting a blood volume test done...

I think I will just head back to the dr. and try to get it all figured out..Instead of worrying and trying to figure it all out...

But the pain is...will she listen to me..I almost give up.