Dr Oz and Melatonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jaminhealth, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Oz has an hour tonight on CNN and a good portion of the program is on sleep...he claims too many take sleep drugs and that on melatonin, 1/2mg is what is necessary...

That is how much I take in my sleep combo which has some herb and Vit B's....my sleep cure is on the Alternatives board...I was taking 1/4mg, but bumped to 1/2mg. jam

I don't agree with Oz on a lot of his info, but the 1/2mg works for
    me...with Inositol and Lemon Balm. [

Oh he also said take the melatonin a couple hrs before bedtime, I take mine at about 7PM or a little later....getting into bed by 11PM most nights. [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2013]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2013]
  2. jaminhealth

the melatonin and any sleep herbs at least starting 2 hrs before going to bed, readies the body for sleep.

Of course, he wasn't addressing people with FM/CFS...so...
  3. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

A lot of people with CFS/ME and/or depression cannot tolerate a melatonin supplement, what does Oz suggest for them ?
  4. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

I have ME/CFS and have tried on several seperate occasions to address my chronic insomnia with melatonin. Each time, I was wired and felt as though everything in my body was running at super speed; I was awake ALL night! It was horrible and I would never take this supplement again. But I thought this was just me....I haven't heard before that people with ME often don't get along well with this supplement. Interesting...
  5. jaminhealth

did you take a low low dose like 1/4mg to 1/2mg...I know others with ME/CFS here take Melatonin and good with it...PH even sells a sleep aid with melatonin...sorry you can't handle it...jam
  6. SherylS

SherylS Member

I have tried melatonin many times, at every possible dose. At bedtime or several hours before. Has never worked for me. Also makes me wired and wide awake.
  7. jaminhealth

other CALMING supps which I outline in my sleep cure forwhatever it's worth....

I have no idea how I'd do on just melatonin, but will never venture to see....I adapted my sleep cure from a formula by Dr. Eric Braverman who is on the board of a major health foundation. He had his own sleep formula product and I have embellished on it for me.[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2013]
  8. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

jam, you don't suffer with CFS/ME so you more likely to respond differently to meds/supplements to someone who does suffer with CFS/ME. Your sleep combination works well and that's encouraging to hear.

People with CFS/ME are more prone to suffer paradoxical reactions to medications and/or supplements which is why so many people with this illness struggle to find solutions to their compound health issues.
  9. jaminhealth

but I also know of others on this board with CFS who take melatonin and perhaps buy it from PH...

We are all unique, I know.
  10. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Yes indeed, a Melatonin supplement does help some people and good news is always nice to hear.
  11. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I take this when I travel and it works like a charm with the jet lag/time zone problems. It used to really mess me up until I started the melatonin. (I don't know if I get it worse b/c of the CFS/Fibro) I take it 2 days before I leave, while I am gone, and then 2 days after I get back home.