Dr. Oz - Mosty about Weight Lose?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wendysj, Nov 16, 2009.

1. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been able to catch bits and pieces of the Dr. Oz show lately. It seems like almost every show he has a segment about losing weight.

This is going to sound terrible and I don't mean it in a mean way at all... I would think with all the diseases out there that have no cure; Diabetes, HIV, Cancers, Auto Immune Diseases, CFS/FM, etc. he would try to vary his show more.

I know being over-weight leads to Type 2 Diabetes and it terrible for the heart among many other health issues. My thing is weight lose is curable by a persons will to do so... I know it's easier said than done and there are medical issues that cause people to gain weight but for most Americans, i believe it's a choice.

You are all very good at agreeing/disagreeing with posts. Please feel free to tell me if I'm way off base here...

Edited to add: I did learn yesterday that Aloe Vera comes in a liquid form. If added to a drink it can help with chronic constipation.

Wishing you all a good week.

[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2009]
  2. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I think Dr. Oz is all about things you (the viewer) can do to improve your health. Obesity is a very big problem in the U.S., leading to many diseases. And as you said, it is something most people can do something about. So I think the way you characterized it is right in line with the purpose of the show.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Wendy - Dr Oz is a cardiologist and surgeon, and, unfortunately, by the time people come in to see him, the damage to their bodies has been done. The purpose of his show is to get American's to change their lifestyles in order to prevent the major diseases such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes. He wants people to stop overeating, to make healthier food choices, and to get off their butts and exercise.

You are correct that people have to want to make changes in order to become healthier, however, I think that today, a lot of people don't know what that means anymore. Especially in the US where everything has been supersized over the past couple of decades, there are generations of people who don't know what a "normal" sized portion of food is. They don't know what a healthy food is. Also, when you consider that they probably grew up with TVs, Nintendo, and computers, they didn't spend time outside playing as a child, and very likely went to a school that dropped PE classes when funding got cut.

Eighty percent of heart disease, cancers and diabetes is the result of being overweight and physically inactive. This is why Dr Oz is working hard to get American's (and whatever other countries are watching) to lose the weight.
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

I too have FMS and I feel better when I lose weight. I also have autoimmune thyroid disease so its a never-ending battle.