Dr. Oz: The 140 pound tumor

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TwoCatDoctors, Sep 12, 2009.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW
    "What Does That Mean Dr. Oz?"

For years, Linda had gotten the same advice from her doctor as millions of Americans—you need to lose weight. Over a period of about 20 years, her weight rose to as much 300 pounds. Linda says she trusted that advice and tried various diets plans, none of which ever worked.

Then, one Easter, she went to the doctor with what she thought was the flu. They told her it was a ruptured appendix and rushed her to emergency surgery. During the operation, they found something more than a ruptured appendix—and removed 40 pounds of tumor. They then took Linda to another facility where doctors removed the rest of the tumor.

After two surgeries, doctors had removed 140 pounds of cancerous tumor from Linda's stomach—nearly half her weight.

After both parts of the tumor were successfully removed, no radiation or chemotherapy was necessary. However, Linda still has cancerous cells in her body that will need to be removed with further surgeries if they start to grow.

To understand what happened to Linda, Dr. Oz explains what a tumor actually is, using a replica of Linda's tumor.

It starts with individual cells. "But cancer cells are sociopathic—they don't get along with each other," he says. "They have sharp elbows pushing the other cells out of the way."

Those cancerous cells really become a threat if they tap into a supply of blood vessels, Dr. Oz says. "They bring nutrients that allow the cancer to grow, and they give the cancer a way to escape, because the cancer gets into the blood cells," he says. "They get into the lymph nodes, and that's how cancer will spread."
    Another big mystery is how the tumor could have gotten so massive without anyone ever knowing.

"It's a two-way street," Dr. Oz says. "When you miss a 140-pound tumor, a couple things happened wrong. The first was you were pretty heavy. You were over 300 pounds. When you're over 300 pounds, it's hard for doctors to get to your stomach. … It's difficult to tell what's normal or not. You were too big to get into the scanner. They couldn't get pictures that they normally would take of the inside."

One reason this tumor grew so big over approximately two decades is that Linda never sought a second opinion about her unexplained weight gain. "Just because you have a doctor for 20 years like I did and trusted him, make sure you have it checked out [again]," she says. "Second, third, fourth."

Dr. Oz says while getting a second opinion can feel like you're breaking a "precious covenant" with your doctor, it really can be critical to your health. "I tell you right now, when you go to get a second opinion, you're teaching me," Dr. Oz says. "[It] doesn't just change your care, it changes the care of everybody else I take care of in so many ways."

Those patients who do get second opinions, Dr. Oz says, tend to see dramatic differences. "It turns out that only 10 percent of us get second opinions," he says. "But when you get them, one-third of the time they will change your diagnosis or your therapy. I don't care how good the doctor is. One-third of the time, a different doctor is going to have a different take on what's going on—and that's an insight that we can never forget."

FROM: http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/20080904_tows_tumor/1