Dr Paul Whitcomb, anyone heard of him and your opinoin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 2, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I watched a video by Dr. Whitcomb and his theory of FM. His explaination of FM was very interesting, he has helped many people.

Can't remember the site I found this video on but will try to find it and post, I do know he is a chriopractor and lives in CA. His office is in Tahoe.

From the video it sounded like the miracle explaination and treatment. To good to be true, I guess.

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Go to www.stopfibro.com it was interesting, would like others opinion.

3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

if you look on the web there are both praises and complaints about the man some people think he is a scammer other people think he is a caring man look for them and make up your own mind hugs charlene
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi greatgran,

I have no idea what that last post was about, so I hope you do. I am no fan of Dr. Barrett, but he usually makes more sense. Very strange.

Google "Atlas adjustment", "Atlas Orthogonal", "Upper Cervical Chiropractic" or NUCCA for more info on this procedure. It is not new as Dr. Whitcomb suggest. It is just his saying it is the cause of FMS that is new.

I had 28 sessions of Atlas work and wasted $900 with no results. I was told I would need another 40 sessions. I left. If you look up "Atlas Orthospinology" you will probably get a link to the clinic I went to. The procedure goes by several names, and is sometimes done with the hands as Dr. Whitcomb does, and sometimes with various machines.

You can also Google "Chiropractic skeptic" and you should get links to the forums where Chiros talk to each other. These can be quite enlightening. You will find NUCCA info listed under "Scam Procedures" on those boards.

A couple of people here think Atlas work was a miracle for them. I think they were either doing other things at the same time that helped, or it was placebo effect. But that is just my opinion.

5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

The Invisible Chronic Illness Experience Blog
    CC License

The Invisible Chronic Illness Experience by Sherril Johnson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
    Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://theiciexperience.org.
    Google Search
    Enter your search terms Submit search form
    Web theiciexperience.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 27, 2008
    Please - help keep any more people with FM from being conned into bankruptcy or worse

"Fraud is deliberate misrepresentation. Quackery, as we define it, involves the promotion of unsubstantiated methods that lack a scientifically plausible rationale."

Stephen Barrett, M.D.
    Board Chairman, Quackwatch, Inc.

I am writing this series of blog posts on chiropractic and quackery because it is inconceivable to me that Paul Whitcomb continues to be allowed to be paid to practice chiropractic medicine on people with Fibromyalgia while his patients/victims are becoming bankrupt, their families are falling apart, and their health is no better, and in many cases it is worse than it was before they laid their life savings out for “the cure” to Fibromyalgia, a.k.a. "The Whitcomb Method."
    This can be stopped. We can stop it. All it takes is awareness. While it may be obvious to you and I that The Whitcomb Method is a scam, to others it sounds like the cure they’ve been hoping and praying for. I hope you will help me create the simple awareness it will take to stop this guy, by mentioning this series to your own readers if you have a blog or website or by doing your own research and writing your own blog post or article, or by telling everyone you know with Fibromyalgia about it, before Whitcomb makes enough money to retire comfortably and does so.

Worried about retaliation? Check out these Tips for Activists on Fighting Quackery.

I've been studying up on how it can be that Whitcomb remains in business as the years continue to pass, and I think I'm beginning to have a some clues.

What's in this post:

Explanation of why I'm taking this mission upon myself
    Overview of how Whitcomb stays in business
    What the Better Business Bureau says about it

What the National Fibromyalgia Association says about it
    What immunesupport.com says about it

Explanation of why I'm taking this mission upon myself

I'm really tired of Dr. Whitcomb's holdings (book, website) coming up when I do a legitimate search on just about anything to do with Fibromyalgia. This has been happening for several years now. It seems unbelievable, but currently you have to look really hard to find anything negative online about Whitcomb. (More on why that could be, later.) I'm doing this so there will be some truth to the hype on the internet available to anyone who takes the precaution of doing a search on the person (Paul Whitcomb, DC), the book (Fibromyalgia: Finally Solving the mystery), or the business (Fibromyalgia Relief Centers) in question.

I got motivated to take this on now by an email I received last month from a friend of my mom's who also has FM. This is what the mail said:

"Subject: Fibromyalgia diag.&cure-really!
    I stumbled upon the Dr. that figured out what fibromyalgia is and has learned to test for it and treat it and give folks their lives back. I got the testing which relieved me from virtually all my "phantom pain" and got up and walked around in a straight up position. Realized later as I watched others getting the test that I was also sitting up straight in my wheelchair. I sat about 3 feet away from the goings on and saw weary faces lie down and get up smiling and with some color in their faces and the tiredness was completely eased. This test helps temporarily. One needs to go in for 3 times a day 6 days a week for up to 8-10 weeks. The therapy is different than the test. I think you and I got jarred something fierce when that rope swing broke when we were swinging double. In other words, I think our necks got misaligned and we have suffered all these years, gradually getting worse, spending most of our time in bed. There is a lot of information your can look up on: stopfibro.com. Dr. Paul Whitcomb had it himself and knows what a debilitating disease this is. It has to do with choking off of the menegis that surround the nerves that go thru the neck making the nerves misfire, telling you that you hurt in places that you regular doctor tells you nothing is wrong with. I will try to get these treatments when I can, but I can tell you that just from the test I feel like I have a large portion of my life back. Let me know what you think when you read up on the at the above website."

Shades of snake oil salesmen* from the past!

When I first read this email I thought it was one that was making the rounds and that the friend was just forwarding it to me. Then I got to looking at it a little closer I began to wonder if she had actually written it in the first person. I asked her if she had and this was her response:

"I saw {to protect the friend I have removed all info that could be used to track this person's identity). They said Dr. Whitcomb would be at an address on {location and time} that day. So I went. He "tested" about twenty people. I was number 4. I am still enjoying relief from my "phantom" pains. I don't have that tired look in my eyes anymore, I sit up straight again and walk up straight again. I can bend my knees to pick up stuff now when I used to do it straight legged. I can walk a lot farther than I have in years, however, if I walk too much my bone on bone in the knees and some arthritis kicks in. My lower back pain is all but gone. And this was only from the "test". They say the treatments are 3 a day 6 days a week for about 8 - 10 weeks. There were two ladies that he had treated that came along to give their testimonies and they are both bouncing right straight up and down. Both were more incapacitated than I. So far what I was helped with hasn't returned but they said the symptoms would most likely return. If I don't pursue the treatments, I am still allowed the freedom from most of my pain and I can function decidedly better. I plan to go to {location} next month

6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Greatgran,

You might want to take a look at the following thread that was posted by Exgolfer regarding her personal experiences with Dr. Whitcomb. Just click on the following link:

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1124447&B=FM#1124447">Dr. Whitcomb</a>

I would describe Exgolfer's post as a cautionary note about chiropractors who want to do numerous adjustments. It also ties in nicely with her own experience with Atlas Profilax.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2008]
  7. Dragoness

Dragoness New Member

I saw Dr. Whitcomb today and I DO think he can help people. Whatever he did helped me right away and in his opinion was the answer for me, YES I do have fibro.

I do understand that he may not be to help everyone and his procedure is pricy (I can't afford it, it was a free consult today) but honestly I think there is something to it.

I live in Tahoe, so it was easy for me to visit. But I think his theroy as to the reasons behind fibro and his procedure just might work for people who do indeed have this problem caused my problems in the spine.

He DID tell me that left untreated this condition could develop into RH and Lupus and that part I am not buying, those are autoimmune conditions. But I do think his procedure is sound.
  8. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

My advise- don't see him. He is under investigation. the Special Investigator called me today and questioned me for an hour. there are way too many patients who have gone home feeling well , only to have symptoms return 4-6 weeks later. Too good to be true? You betcha!-Rachelsvine