Dr. Pellegrino thoughts on AntiBiotics for FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Nov 23, 2002.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I went to Barnes and Noble last to look at FM books. I looked at probably 10 books. The one that stood out to me the most was a book by Dr. Pellegrino. He claims to suffer from FM and to have to have treated thousands of diagnosed FM sufferers.

He claims that AntiBiotics does work for some with FM. I'm thinking that FM (as I have read in other places) is a waste basket diagnoses. IOW other diseases including mycoplasma blood infection are lumped into the FM diagnoses.
    So not one treatment going to work for everyone. Maybe this is why we see mixed responses on long term uses of AnitBiotics. Excerpt from Dr. Pellegrino book below:

"Antibiotics can have a role in treating fibromyalgia. Dr. Garth Nicolson has isolated a microorganism, Mycoplasma fermentens, as a possible infectious cause of Gulf War Syndrome (remember, this may be a type of fibromyalgia). Some patients had less pain and fatigue after taking antibiotics (for example, doxycycline, Zithromax), presumably due to the eradication of the Mycoplasma. Antibiotics may also inhibit certain enzymes that cause inflammation (anti-inflammatory mechanisms) rather than by acting as an anti-infection mechanism. I have had some patients who improved after a course of antibiotics and many who did not, so I’m not convinced that these drugs are helpful for the long term. Antibiotic use increases one’s chance of getting a Candida yeast infection, which can increase fibromyalgia symptoms. Over time, we may identify a specific subgroup of fibromyalgia patients who have antibiotic-responsive symptoms."

2. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I went to Barnes and Noble last to look at FM books. I looked at probably 10 books. The one that stood out to me the most was a book by Dr. Pellegrino. He claims to suffer from FM and to have to have treated thousands of diagnosed FM sufferers.

He claims that AntiBiotics does work for some with FM. I'm thinking that FM (as I have read in other places) is a waste basket diagnoses. IOW other diseases including mycoplasma blood infection are lumped into the FM diagnoses.
    So not one treatment going to work for everyone. Maybe this is why we see mixed responses on long term uses of AnitBiotics. Excerpt from Dr. Pellegrino book below:

"Antibiotics can have a role in treating fibromyalgia. Dr. Garth Nicolson has isolated a microorganism, Mycoplasma fermentens, as a possible infectious cause of Gulf War Syndrome (remember, this may be a type of fibromyalgia). Some patients had less pain and fatigue after taking antibiotics (for example, doxycycline, Zithromax), presumably due to the eradication of the Mycoplasma. Antibiotics may also inhibit certain enzymes that cause inflammation (anti-inflammatory mechanisms) rather than by acting as an anti-infection mechanism. I have had some patients who improved after a course of antibiotics and many who did not, so I’m not convinced that these drugs are helpful for the long term. Antibiotic use increases one’s chance of getting a Candida yeast infection, which can increase fibromyalgia symptoms. Over time, we may identify a specific subgroup of fibromyalgia patients who have antibiotic-responsive symptoms."

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have Dr. Pellegrino book (Inside Fibromyalgia), he is also a suffer of Fibro.

A lot of others agree with him on the mycoplasma, and the the Gulf War Syndrome.

I have read where antibiotics have helped some people, but not others. Myself, I won't go there!

If you are interested, Pellegrino has several articles on the 'Home' page here. Probably updates since the books were written.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I may draw a lot of flack for saying this, but IMO, the mycoplasma infections, candida and all the rest are the RESULT of the FMS, not the cause.
    I have been reading everything about this illness I could get my hands on for 17 yrs. now, and I feel that the original cause, which is still unknown, unbalances our endocrine, nervous and immune systems to the point where we are open to all sorts of opportunistic infections. That is why we see so many people on this Board with all different sorts of problems, and what helps one may not help another.
    This does not necessarily mean that FMS is a wastebasket diagnosis, unless AIDS, which works the same way, is also a wastebasket diagnosis.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all,
    KLutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2002]