Dr. Perricone's superfoods - great site for nutritional info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Apr 19, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi All,

I thought you might enjoy this list of Dr. Perricone's superfoods. Oprah had him on his show back in 2005. So this is from oprah dot com.

I included the website because if you click on each food group it will give you the details for each food.

I hope we are allowed to do this here. Enjoy ... Marcia

http://www.oprah.com/presents/2005/young/life/life_superfoods.jhtml

******************* Beginning of Dr. Perricone's article ****************

Dr. Perricone's 10 Superfoods

Of course, there are more than just 10 "superfoods." In fact, just about every brightly colored fruit and vegetable fits the category of a superfood, as do nuts, beans, seeds and aromatic and brightly colored herbs and spices. The beneficial properties of each one of these superfoods could fill an entire book.

The 10 featured here were chosen because of their direct link to the Brain-Beauty Connection. These foods (listed here in alphabetical order) are rich in either the Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs), antioxidants or fiber, and as in the case of açaí—all three! In addition, we have included foods that have been proven to lower or help regulate blood sugar levels—an extremely important factor for all of those concerned with slowing the aging process and preventing diabetes, obesity, wrinkles and a host of degenerative diseases.

Learn More About Dr. Perricone's Superfoods:

Açaí
    The Allium Family
    Barley
    Beans and Lentils
    Buckwheat
    Green Foods
    Hot Peppers
    Nuts and Seeds
    Sprouts
    Yogurt and Kefir

Health Benefits

Although many of these foods have reported medical benefits, remember at all times that if you have any type of health problem or physical symptom, do not self-diagnose or self-medicate—even if with a food or herb. Trust your medical professional first and foremost in this department. However, the 10 foods included here do have incredible health benefits. Listed below are just some of the reasons to include these foods in your diet—every day:

Prevent or reduce inflammation
    Help regulate metabolism and burn body fat
    Lower total cholesterol
    Lower blood pressure
    Help protect against heart disease
    Help protect against cancer
    Help protect organs from toxins
    Promote digestive health

************* End of Dr. Perricone's article *****************

[This Message was Edited on 09/04/2006]
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

bump...for those who missed this.
  3. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

is my cup of tea!

Good info
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

He even uses them in his beauty products, which are so expensive that one needs to be wealthy to afford them. He's been pushing good nutrition for a long time and other docs are getting on board, especially with the antioxidants.

Be careful with sprouts. They, like the ready-to-eat salads in a bag, can harbor e-coli. Wash them well. Spraying with hydrogen peroxide and then rinsing with vinegar and water will kill pathogens. You can also put them in a bowl of water and treat it with an ozinator, if you have one.

Thanks for posting this.

Love, Mikie
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

but have yet to try his diet. His book reads well and it talks about inflammation. He loves salmon and I think on the diet you eat is 2 times a day.
  6. sascha

sascha Member

and plan to start on it in January. a lot of what he says/writes makes a lot of sense in maybe improving problems caused by CFIDS. for one thing, he talks about repairing mitochondrial damage using his suggestions for supplements and diet, and i've thought this could be a major component of my CFIDS condition.

i've been going after 'cures' in a hit or miss (i should say hit AND miss) fashion for a long time. i cannot afford doctors so must try things out on my own. of course, when i flag and feel rotten, it's all too easy to give up the ship. this i have done time and time again.

i'd love it if some others on this Board want to commit to following the Perricone program so that we could compare notes along the way.

here's to finding good solutions in 2007!!! Best wishes, Sascha