Dr. Phil Letter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Stormy214, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I think that BURYING paramount with email on this subject is, no pun intended, paramount to getting exposure for our plight. Thanks to all of you who have already written. For those of you who are uncomfortable doing so simply because you don't know WHAT to write, I've included below what I wrote to the producer. Please feel free to copy or adapt it to reflect your own personal feelings on the subject.
    Peace,
    Stormy

Dear Ms. Steinke,
    I wrote not long ago suggesting that Dr. Phil address the topic of chronic pain sufferers who are disregarded by friends, family, and in too many cases, the medical community. It has recently come to my attention --and whether it is rumor or fact, I can only guess-- that the producers have been considering a show on this topic, specifically regarding chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia syndromes, and that it was being considered hesitantly due to "interest" issues. Let me assure you, there are millions of us whose lives are devastated by these disorder, and millions more who must live with us, and try to maintain some semblance of order in our chaotic lives. Even more importantly, this is one of those issues which requires a national podium to get the attention of the people who need to know about this problem. If you need reassurance that this issue needs more attention, I urge you to check the budget of the National Institue of Health and see just how much attention is being paid to these disabling disorders!

I am a great admirer of Dr. Phil; in fact, as a FMS patient, I have studied his books closely in an attempt to regain some meager control over my--and my family's--life. Dr. Phil is a no-nonsense, pragmatic man, and I admire him greatly. His compassion seems as heart-felt as his criticism, when it is duly warranted, and I hope and pray for the minions that he will address this topic! He has the podium and presence to accomplish many great things, and I urge you to air this topic!

Sincerely,
  2. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I think that BURYING paramount with email on this subject is, no pun intended, paramount to getting exposure for our plight. Thanks to all of you who have already written. For those of you who are uncomfortable doing so simply because you don't know WHAT to write, I've included below what I wrote to the producer. Please feel free to copy or adapt it to reflect your own personal feelings on the subject.
    Peace,
    Stormy

Dear Ms. Steinke,
    I wrote not long ago suggesting that Dr. Phil address the topic of chronic pain sufferers who are disregarded by friends, family, and in too many cases, the medical community. It has recently come to my attention --and whether it is rumor or fact, I can only guess-- that the producers have been considering a show on this topic, specifically regarding chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia syndromes, and that it was being considered hesitantly due to "interest" issues. Let me assure you, there are millions of us whose lives are devastated by these disorder, and millions more who must live with us, and try to maintain some semblance of order in our chaotic lives. Even more importantly, this is one of those issues which requires a national podium to get the attention of the people who need to know about this problem. If you need reassurance that this issue needs more attention, I urge you to check the budget of the National Institue of Health and see just how much attention is being paid to these disabling disorders!

I am a great admirer of Dr. Phil; in fact, as a FMS patient, I have studied his books closely in an attempt to regain some meager control over my--and my family's--life. Dr. Phil is a no-nonsense, pragmatic man, and I admire him greatly. His compassion seems as heart-felt as his criticism, when it is duly warranted, and I hope and pray for the minions that he will address this topic! He has the podium and presence to accomplish many great things, and I urge you to air this topic!

Sincerely,
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Well written, I don't know how we can possibly explain to people what all we go thru, we could talk & talk for hours but to write it all down to me feels overwhelming, everything in our life is affected. I hope he does this and I really hope he mentions our specific disorders, I just pray he does not tell us to get off our ass & we would feel better. I am so sick of hearing that.

Jaci
  4. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Hi Stormy....
    I too have sent a letter, not one , but two letter to ask Dr. Phil to please to a show about our illness. My last letter I invited him to go to this site and read what we go through and how we reach out to each other.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

That was an EXCELLENT letter you wrote! I just hope we get a better response than we got from the nationwide campaign to write to Oprah a few yrs. go.
    God Bless you,
    Klutzo
  6. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I wrote to Dr. Phil on last Friday! I also wrote to Oprah a couple of weeks ago. I think we ALL should keep bugging the "h---" out of both of them until they have to do a story on our plight just to shut us up!!!!!!!!!!!! So, KEEP IT UP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1Writer
  7. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

Your letter was great, it would hard to top.What I would like for him or anyone else to do is walk in our shoes for awhile. I’d like to have them just stand by our sides for a week to feel what’s it like to toss and turn and get about 2 hours sleep a night and that's not even to gather that’s just a total amount of sleep for one night and that is everynight. To live with the shame and embarrassment of irritable bowels would be enough for someone to get off their butts and share with the rest of the world. There are times when I can’t stand for anyone to touch me let alone try to work shoulder to shoulder with anyone. I want him or her to see what this is doing to our families, what our children and spouses put up with daily. The fatigue at walking up a fight of stairs or the stiffness we deal with everyday, the loss of or failing degree of cognizance, that can ruin a person career so fast. We all live and work in a market place somewhere, as Teacher, Doctor, Cook, Truck Driver, Supervisors the list is unending the point is we are forced to be competitive and the weak, unfrim will lose out. I have family members in there 90’s that can do more in a day then I can do in a week. I’m so sick and tried and so depressed about this damn disease, that I could scream, it wears on you like the water did on the Grand Canyon. Please share this with the world, there are so many of us out there that to the naked eye of the untrained and uneducated can’t see and feel what we go through. It would be better if we lost an arm or a leg then we would have something to show them. I am a 52 year old male and up till the end of October of this year, was employed as a Journeyman lineman and I worked on voltages from 120 volts up to 345,000 volts. I want someone to come and walk with me when I have to climb a pole it feels like I've carried a 90-pound sack of cement up with me. My hands hurt so bad I don't even want to touch the pole, and my legs hurt so bad that I have to force them to hold me up and make contact with my climbing gaffs. To deal with the loss of strength in your body is beyond belief; you feel so bad it's like parts of your body have been crushed. Tell em come on over but they need to bring there own coffee.
  8. popgun

popgun New Member

Great job,you should contact Oprah too.
  9. kimkane

kimkane New Member

I THANK YOU FOR WRITING DR. PHIL, I HAVE ALSO AND JOHN WALSH, AND MONTEL. IT IS JUST HORRIBLE TO THINK WE MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT FOR SOME ONE FAMOUS TO GET IT TO GET US ATTENTION. ALL WE CAN DO IS SLAM ALL OF THEM UNTIL THEY GIVE IN. IT KILLS ME TO WATCH A SHOW THAT THEY WOULD RATHER SHOW OFF THEIR HOMES AND DECORATEING FOR IT ALL THE MONEY THEY SPEND ON THE EXTRAS WHEN WE CAN HARDLY AFFORD OUR MEDS. WE MUST KEEP GOING NO MATTER HOW HARD IT IS. WE HAVE TO BE WARRIORS AGAINST THIS LIFE ALTERING SICKNESS
    GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU AND KEEP YOU IN HIS/HER GENTLE CARE KIM KANE
  10. amilyne

amilyne New Member

there is an actress that im sure some of us know about that has this--A.J Langer--she was on nbc's three sisters and my so called life...funny thing years ago i loved her charachter on "my so called life" and always wanted to be like her...hehe well i sure got it didnt i..lol..maybe shes someone we could pursue.and hey theres always cher with the cfs and what about the certain docs who have books on this like starlynel and dr. teitlebaum and jenny fransen who is a nurse practitioner(i think) at abbot northwestern hospital in minneapolis--she also wrote a book on the subject..i think we need to look at the doctors who are advocates as well as just us.

-ami
  11. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Keep those emails going everyone...............
    1Writer
  12. amilyne

amilyne New Member

bump bump bumpety bumps...hehe lol
  13. Kalli

Kalli New Member

n/t

Kalli
  14. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Keep hitting him with those cards/letters/emails (I'm in rabble-rouser mode)
    Peace and Love,
    Stormy
  15. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Bump!
    1Writer
  16. jojojem

jojojem New Member

bump I wrote a letter but somehow it didn't get on I must not have done it right.
  17. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Bumping............
    1Writer