Dr, Phil likes? dislikes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Jun 15, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi everyone
    Just wondering what you all think of Dr. Phil? i used to watch him everyday , now off and on!! But i really like his approach to relationship problems!.................................I guess if Oprah hadn't discovered him he would not be famous right? He had a really good series of how to potty train toddlers on time! it was a 24 hr thing but amazingly it worked!!...........................................................also the shows about addhd childern and how to handle them!......................................................S
  2. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I am with you on this subject, don't care for him in any way shape or form.
    Michelle
  3. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I am with you on this subject, don't care for him in any way shape or form.
    Michelle
  4. intrigue

intrigue New Member

I have sort of a love-hate relationship for Dr. Phil. I seem to get sucked into an awful lot of shows for someone I don't care for. LOL

He's like any other daytime talk show host ... lots of shows on relationship problems, and the weirder the problem, the better the ratings!

I think I have more respect for him now that I've seen Scary Movie 3. (He plays himself and its hilarious)

A fun bit of trivia: the polyfidelity couple that were on Dr. Phil twice on a few months ago. You know ... he wanted to keep both his wife AND his mistress. They live really close to my house! Too funny.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi all!

I know it's wierd what people will confess to !! do you ever get the idea that they get paid to come on the shows and confess their troubles? I think that if they do then there has to be a bargin involved!..........................................Probably free therapy or something like that!...................I always find myself thinking wow if they had to deal with our type of illnesses they would probaly commit harrycarey!!....................................................just a thought! s
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

I don't think I have ever watched one all the way through. I can not fathom why people would go on national television and discuss the personal problems.

That and the fact that they all sound the same a lot of yelling.

The little I have seen I have noticed both Oprah and "Dr." Phil are narcissistic enough to believe their hype.

I have been in a great relationship for over 22 years without the "advice" of a "Dr. Phil" and have been reading fantastic (and some not so fantastic) books since the age of six without the "help" of an Oprah.....LOL

But hey that is just my little ole opinion and everyone is entitled to one...peace :) Whatever floats your boat.

I have enough of "well meaning" friends in my life telling me what they think I should do and I listen...(wink, wink) oh really I do...NOT...LOL

Ok I will shut up now.

Thanks,

Karen

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Though I have to admit, his show topics have gotten too redundant. I feel like I've seen them all now. But I like that he reaches men w/ his blunt, no nonsense approach. My last boyfriend would actually watch him w/ me, and so did my fiance now, its me that stopped tuning in.

But I love how he doesn't hide anything about his past, warts and all (have to give Oprah huge credit for that too). Love his relationship w/ Robin, and his boys are such good kids, one following in his Dad's footsteps, and is very good w/ people and getting thenm to open up too.

I think people dare to go and air their problems because they feel if anyone can help us, Dr. Phil can. God bless the ones that do, because they let us chickens benefit from their place in the hotseat. They also know they will get free counselling, free rehab at the best places they couldn't afford, and I suspect some can't resist that 15 minutes of fame.

I also loved his weight loss challenge approach to NON-dieting, how it focused instead on sensible lifestyle changes and counselling for whatever demons caused one to use food as a drug and comfort. So the person could eat food for nutrition like it was designed for. I'm not overweight, and didn't need to take part, but its all common sense to me.

Last, I love his sense of humour. My favourite hick expression by Dr. Phil: "did you just fall out of the dumb tree and hit every branch on your way down?".

Jeanne

Jeanne
  8. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I had watched a show on adult children who still rely on their parents for support & the boy on the show had the same name as my son. It was like the show was about our family.

Anyway, I emailed the show to tell them how it hit home with me. A few weeks later, I got a call from the show, asking me if I wanted to come & be on the show! Of course, I told them no. There is no way I would go on national TV & let the world know my problem. They lady asked me, if my problem had been resolved. I said, "well no, my son & his wife & baby are living with us right now" & she said, "and you don't won't to talk to Dr. Phil??" I said, "I would love to, but not on national TV". My husband was very happy I declined.

I wonder how they really find people to go on the show, because I know there are people like me that would never do this. She did not mention paying me, but who knows...

Marilyn
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Now and then he has a show that's a bit too over the top with people screaming at each other (too Gary Springer,I turn those off) and I agree that he could use more diversity. But in this day of muddled thinking and me-ism I like his direct approach. Some things just aren't as hard to figure out as people like to make them, you know?

I remember the show about the mothers of little girls in beauty pagents: Phil: But she's nine! Later: She's NINE. Later yet: NINE....... And then: nine fingers went up in the air. Loved it. I don't think the parents ever did get it though.

We could use more of it - without all the melodrama.

Marta
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I just like it when he says "And how's that working for you?" That just cracks me up.

I watch him when I'm home, but most days I'm at work.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Used to like both shows when they were meaningful. Now they are so over the top I hate them. He did a show on Aspergers that did a real disservice to Aspie Kids-it all seems just showmanship. Then Oprah, sure she donates a lot of cash etc but she is so ambiguous, she places a high value on designer bags and shoes and being thin, then a complete about turn and saying how we are training our daughters to become anorexic.

Dr Phil just hunts around for weirdos these days, he lost it along the way to stardom unfortunately.

I rarely watch TV as there is just so much trash on, I listen to BBC on computer and listen to classic plays and interesting talk shows about real issues, on Radio 4.

Love Anne Cromwell

I used to like Phil Donahue he always addressed real issues.
  12. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

My fav from Dr. Phil:

THAT DOG WON'T HUNT!

Easy to see he's a good southern boy at heart..LOL!

- julie (is free!)

Take your cat
    and leave my sweater
    we've got nothing left
    to weather
    In fact, I'll feel
    a whole lot better
    But, you'll think of me... - Keith Urban
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

Thankyou so much for all the input! I must admit it would be strange to actually go on nat'l tv ! But yes i have listened to alot of his advice and i think it's for the most part very useful!.............................................and i really love his cool sayings like the one i think of all the time is (how's that working for you?) and it's fun when he goes on the jay leno show and the 2 of them discuss some of the sayings and what they mean. thanks again!............................................................sisland
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm with you on the bargin hunting thing!! partly because i have to watch my budget very close and partly because you can go to a thrift store and find jeans for 2 to 4 $ a pair as compaired to 20$ or 30$ at new stores !!..............................I love the picture of the deer in your profile!! I grew up in the woods and still wish i lived there!! it's so peaceful! air is fresh- birds sing to you and deer just wander through at periodic times!!............................................your Hubby shoul be thankful that your not a big spender!! hugs..................sisland
  15. jake123

jake123 New Member

I think he gives pretty good advice. God knows there are enough people with problems that could use some advice on something.
    I do like to use "And how's that been working for you? " when my kids start saying "I ain't gone to no classes and I ain't gonna do no work here." (They are now in a discipline camera monitored school)