Dr. Phil Says Lupus isn't Fatal on National Television

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jtoskich, Mar 6, 2007.

1. jtoskich

jtoskich New Member

I encourage all of you to email Dr. Phil and suggest to him that he do some research on Lupus. Today on his show about Anna Nicole he stated that Lupus was not life threatening. I was so angry I could not stand it. We get way to little publicity and for him to be putting out false information is just irresponsible!

http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=9164
  2. Ginner

Ginner New Member

and again....WHAT????
  3. debhun

debhun New Member

I think he is nuts and I don't watch him. He thinks he knows it all.
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

If he's right then some of our friends have been buried alive...

Jan
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupus_erythematosus

6. pat460

pat460 New Member

Just sent a message to his wife. I figure she would be the best one to call him on it. I'll let you all know if I ever get a response.

pat460
  7. forfink

forfink New Member

All I know is that some people live and other's are not so fortunate, Lupus can be a very serious disease.
  8. street129

street129 New Member

my x-boyfriend wife died from lupus.......along with the stress that she was carrying
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

Mr. Phil made a big statement- NOT!!!!!

I had a friend that nearly died because of it and still may yet!!!!!! Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kriket
  10. darude

darude New Member

He really is and I'm sick of his garbage advice. Lets all email him
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

I logged onto his site and I am appaled at all of the personal info that you have to put in about yourself just to post a darn comment!!!!! I'm not giving him all my personal info. All I need to give him is my comment and my need to correct his unknown info.

Kriket
  12. bellagirlc4

bellagirlc4 New Member

a message to the show. I think we should all send a message and gang up on him. LOL
  13. lmlynley

lmlynley New Member

Dr. Phil is to psychology what "The Secret" is to philosophy/religion - the shallow end of the wading pool.
  14. When he first came on I sort of liked him, but now I hate his show. And what a dumb thing to say, my DR. has lupus and was in intensive care for days.
  15. jtoskich

jtoskich New Member

We are contacting the Lupus Foundation of AMerica PR Office. It's platform in raising money is that it is an advocacy group. Let's see those millions of dollars they get be put to work then. If they don't work to remedy these kinds of false allegations broadcast on national television, then their platform is both false and fraudulent and they should return money to the donors.

In the meantime, please have all your friends and family send emails to Dr. Phil. There is no need to fill out all the information his website requests. Just put street names with no numbers, etc.
  16. Shalala

Shalala New Member

He just wants to be a celeb and make $big$bucks$

It is really sad that he made such a remark. Maybe Lupus didn't kill her but all the drugs she was taking for pain, etc probably did!!!

I am enjoying his show today though ... it is about hoarders (I am guilty of this myself) but I am working on it. I wear out so easily. I cannot lift anything. I have no help ... but that is no excuse.
  17. KelB

KelB New Member

My friend's father died of Lupus last year. His death certificate stated cause of death was multiple organ failure resulting from lupus.

This Dr Phil character sounds like a real charmer. Not!
  18. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I caught that show and I was Seething Mad!!

First his comment about Lupus not being a blood disorder - Tell that to Ali- My dear friend I met here on the Lupus board a few years back. Here she is at 31, with so many blood clots in her chest and arms they can't even count them. She is a stroke waiting to happen and had her first stroke at 26 due to clotting problems caused by Lupus...

He is going to get some serious flack for this...
  19. Kal-El

Kal-El New Member

I looked up the mobidity/mortality of SLE and this is what I found:

"Despite improvements in overall survival rates, patients with SLE still have a death rate that is 3 times that of the general population. The 10-year survival rate now approaches 90%; prior to 1955, the 5-year survival rate was less than 50%. Decreased mortality rates can be attributed to earlier diagnosis (including milder cases), improvement in disease-specific treatments, and advances in general medical care. One third of SLE-related deaths in the United States occur in patients younger than 45 years, making this a serious issue despite declining overall mortality rates."

I didn't see the show, but I would assume that he didn't mean any harm by stating that; he just didn't know. Everyone makes mistakes, so I'll give him a pass on that.

By the way, Dr. Phil may be a doctor, but he isn't OUR doctor. His area of expertise is also in psychology, not autoimmune disorders, so take anything you hear him say outside his realm of expertise with a grain of salt. Remember, he means well, but it's primarily entertainment television.
  20. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Doctors shouldn't go beyond their own specialties. He's a psychologist. My dad's a radiologist and doesn't go beyond his area of expertise b/c it can have dangerous consequences. Doesn't it seem obvious?

"Dr" Phil does shows that get the most ratings. When someone is on television that's all that matters. The doctor part and the accuracy of being one matters much less and it can give all docs a bad name. How difficult is it to fact check? GRRRR